PDA

View Full Version : Puerto Vallarta

Moe
02-01-2012, 03:35 PM
I'm heading off to Puerto Vallarta at the end of March. Any knowledge of the fishing here would be appreciated.

mantleman
02-01-2012, 04:04 PM
Google fishing with carolina... her boat was good and she was affordable. It was 500 for a full 8 hrs all in on a 30 ft boat... She is a canadian lady living there

Moe
02-01-2012, 04:51 PM
Cool, I'll check it out

hacman
02-01-2012, 05:28 PM
Fished there 3 times in the past 4 years. It is about an hour to get out of the bay to start fishing so your 8 hour trip is not all fishing time. First time was with Stan at Masterbaiters, $500 for 8 hrs. Next 2 times I just went to the dock in the late afternoon and talked to the captains as they came back. $400 for a 10 hr trip last year on a panga, which is good for just 2 people. We flew past the larger boats on the way out to the fishing grounds. The larger boats obvously cost more so if you have a group then it would be better. Fishing in the panga was good on all trips. Dorado, jacks, pargo and tons of bonito and spanish mackerel. Also hooked up on a roosterfish but it broke off on the reef. Listen to the captains, they know where the fish are. We wanted to go further out and get something big, they told us not to but we insisted. We ended up wasting half a day cruising around the open ocean.

Moe
02-01-2012, 07:11 PM
Thanks Hacman.....sounds like the way to go. The resort has free kayaks, I might even get a cheap rod and tool out a bit and see what happens. Should be fun either way

munyee4321
02-01-2012, 09:37 PM
Just came back from there. Fishing was great.
For better deals then The resorts take a trip to bucireas (15min taxi 120pesos depending on your bardding abilities) and go to Scott's he's at the end of main street just before the bridge. Boats start 260-270 for 4 hrs then you can bardder again with the captain for more hrs and much cheaper rates.

Walking to the marina and asking around aswell you can get good prices with the locals with fishing boats too.

Ps highly recommend the canopy tour for 40bucks (through Scott) it was fricken awsome!

hacman
02-01-2012, 10:37 PM
Thanks Hacman.....sounds like the way to go. The resort has free kayaks, I might even get a cheap rod and tool out a bit and see what happens. Should be fun either way

Not a bad idea, seen lots of schools of fish from the air while parasailing. Here's our catch from one trip. The crew cleaned them up and we took one of each to a restaurant in the marina and they prepared them for us, great feast.

Moe
02-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Sorry for late reply, working nights and trying to get my sleep.
I am actually staying in Bucerias. I hear you don't have to buy a fishing license in Mexico....is that true?

HunterDave
02-05-2012, 03:01 PM
I hear you don't have to buy a fishing license in Mexico....is that true?

I checked on that because I plan on taking a rod to Mexico to do some shore and reef fishing from a kayak. If you are fishing from a boat you need a license but if you are fishing from shore you don't. I don't know if it's required for fishing from a kayak but you can decide that for yourself. We will be going on a charter in April and we have to pay $8 for a license for the day. It's $25 for a week and you can pick the license up at most fishing stores. That's the brunt of it but you can get specifics by doing a google search of Mexico Fishing License or something similar to that.

munyee4321
02-05-2012, 05:39 PM
Most places have licences included into Thier price. But always ask first.
fishing from shore no Licence is required

martinbns
02-05-2012, 06:05 PM
Fished there 3 times in the past 4 years. It is about an hour to get out of the bay to start fishing so your 8 hour trip is not all fishing time. First time was with Stan at Masterbaiters, $500 for 8 hrs. Next 2 times I just went to the dock in the late afternoon and talked to the captains as they came back. $400 for a 10 hr trip last year on a panga, which is good for just 2 people. We flew past the larger boats on the way out to the fishing grounds. The larger boats obvously cost more so if you have a group then it would be better. Fishing in the panga was good on all trips. Dorado, jacks, pargo and tons of bonito and spanish mackerel. Also hooked up on a roosterfish but it broke off on the reef. Listen to the captains, they know where the fish are. We wanted to go further out and get something big, they told us not to but we insisted. We ended up wasting half a day cruising around the open ocean.

I've fished Panga's on both trips to Cabo, they are awesome. I liked the smaller boat.

Moe
02-06-2012, 05:26 PM
Thanks all of you, good info and I love this site. Always get what I need

bardfromedson
02-07-2012, 12:43 PM
fished there 2 years ago in january. went out with manny http://elmatadorsportfishing.com/ best quide in pv. . best fishing of my life. landed 6 tuna between 120-200 pounds. lost a bunch over 200 pounds. expensive but u get what you pay for there. we were fishing 50 miles out on the banks.

bardfromedson
02-07-2012, 12:52 PM
also take an extra cooler and duct tape with you. get your resort to freeze your catch. once you get through customs duct tape up the cooler and your fish will be in great shape when you get home. i think it cost me 50 bucks to get 100 pounds of tuna and dodo home. mmmmm

Moe
02-07-2012, 02:44 PM
Cool, that's pretty cheap!