PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Near Calf Robe Bridge (Calgary)

trapshooter
02-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Hey All,
I was wondering how do you access and get down to the bow to fish under the calf robe bridge area? I have never seen a parking lot etc?

The Fisherman Guy
02-01-2012, 05:42 PM
Park below the Bonnybrook Bridge and walk the pathway to the Calfrobe.

goldscud
02-01-2012, 06:43 PM
Nothing like fishing in the poop

harrydude
02-01-2012, 07:06 PM

Are you lookin for brown trout ?

SalmoTrutta
02-01-2012, 07:30 PM
where are you looking to fish exactly? there are a number of places to access, are you looking to fish right in the "poo hole" ?

BeeGuy
02-01-2012, 07:35 PM
Haha,

Where's the poo hole?

SalmoTrutta
02-01-2012, 07:49 PM
Haha,

Where's the poo hole?

The brown strip of water that comes out of the treatment plant right under CR bridge. It's gross, trout hang there and people fish it. I won't even float that side of the river until Glenmore. :sick::sick::sick:

BobLoblaw
02-01-2012, 10:19 PM

Elitist S.O.B.
I got half a mind to say "NO" if you were to invite me perch fishin'!!!:mad0100:

commieboy
02-01-2012, 10:31 PM
Come on, guys. At least Calgary treats its waste.

http://www.calgary.ca/UEP/Water/Pages/Water-and-wastewater-systems/Wastewater-system/Wastewater-Treatment.aspx

Notice at the bottom of the article where it states that the treated effluence is clear and colourless.

My guess is that the brown strip of water is caused by the force of the outflow disturbing the sandy riverbed.

It's my understanding that in Vancouver and Halifax, they pump raw sewage directly into the ocean..... ick!

SalmoTrutta
02-01-2012, 10:41 PM
My guess is that the brown strip of water is caused by the force of the outflow disturbing the sandy riverbed.

I hope your being sarcastic, if so .. lol

If not..I'm sorry, the brown foamy water is real, it's not sediment, It's not an illusion, It's poo :)

Not judging, wanna fish it, go ahead, I just think it's smelly and dirty and not for me.

falroy
02-01-2012, 10:47 PM
I've taken a tour of the treatment plant and they say the water is pure, but if you have ever fished that section of the river you would second guess it. Ive never seen so many dead animals along the banks of a river before, from ducks and geese to small birds and even a dead coyote. That was all in one trip. That being said I caught my biggest brown in the bow just down stream at the train bridge

SalmoTrutta
02-01-2012, 10:58 PM
I've taken a tour of the treatment plant and they say the water is pure, but if you have ever fished that section of the river you would second guess it. Ive never seen so many dead animals along the banks of a river before, from ducks and geese to small birds and even a dead coyote. That was all in one trip. That being said I caught my biggest brown in the bow just down stream at the train bridge

yeah they do river tours with the highschool kids as well and take samples upstream and down stream and take a tour of the plant. yadda yadda .. but anybody who's been there can't honestly say its pleasant, not to mention the huge amounts of garbage and junk on that particular section of river.

Don;t get me wrong, it's a million flushes a day that makes the Bow so great, but right at the source is a little "strong" for me.

back to the point..PM me OP i know access to pretty much every inch of the city.

trapshooter
02-01-2012, 11:00 PM
I mainly wanted to get down there so I can photograph the waterfowl in the river and on the ice this time of year, is the only way to use the path from the bonnybrook bridge?

jacenbeers
02-01-2012, 11:18 PM
On the East side of the river there is a nice parking lot in the dog park and you can easily walk underneath the CR bridge from there.

BobLoblaw
02-01-2012, 11:20 PM
The brown strip of water that comes out of the treatment plant right under CR bridge. It's gross, trout hang there and people fish it. I won't even float that side of the river until Glenmore. :sick::sick::sick:

If you were to float that side, you would discover that the water coming in from the treatment plant is actually clearer that the rest of the water; guess you can't see it so well from the other side???:)

SalmoTrutta
02-01-2012, 11:28 PM
If you were to float that side, you would discover that the water coming in from the treatment plant is actually clearer that the rest of the water; guess you can't see it so well from the other side???:)

I fish the run right above the outlet regularly, you can clearly see the blue green water turn to brown and it says brown on the west side of the river until the last turn before glenmore, the rock wall at beaverdam flats . I'm not condemning anybody who fishes there but to say the water is clearer on the outlet side downstream of the outlet is ridiculous .

some guy
02-01-2012, 11:31 PM
Turn west off Ogden Rd. just south of 50th Ave.

BobLoblaw
02-01-2012, 11:51 PM
I fish the run right above the outlet regularly, you can clearly see the blue green water turn to brown and it says brown on the west side of the river until the last turn before glenmore, the rock wall at beaverdam flats . I'm not condemning anybody who fishes there but to say the water is clearer on the outlet side downstream of the outlet is ridiculous .

Ridiculous? Huh.
The 'blue green water' has silt in it.
The water from the treatment plant is clear.
It's also full of nutrients that promote plant growth. Ever been there in the summer? It's choked with weeds below the outlet for quite a ways. when the weeds die off in the late fall/early winter, they leave a brown coating on the bottom of the river. Because the water is CLEAR, it may appear as though the water is brown if one is looking from the other side of the river, or "the run right above the outlet".
You're welcome...:)

BeeGuy
02-02-2012, 12:01 AM
Come on, guys. At least Calgary treats its waste.

http://www.calgary.ca/UEP/Water/Pages/Water-and-wastewater-systems/Wastewater-system/Wastewater-Treatment.aspx

Notice at the bottom of the article where it states that the treated effluence is clear and colourless.

It's my understanding that in Vancouver and Halifax, they pump raw sewage directly into the ocean..... ick!

Your understanding is incorrect. Halifax has a very expensive treatment plant which has made a big difference to the harbour. I cannot speak to Vancity tho

highwood
02-02-2012, 09:34 AM
Ridiculous? Huh.
The 'blue green water' has silt in it.
The water from the treatment plant is clear.
It's also full of nutrients that promote plant growth. Ever been there in the summer? It's choked with weeds below the outlet for quite a ways. when the weeds die off in the late fall/early winter, they leave a brown coating on the bottom of the river. Because the water is CLEAR, it may appear as though the water is brown if one is looking from the other side of the river, or "the run right above the outlet".
You're welcome...:)

Bingo

ericlin0122
02-02-2012, 10:28 AM
You don't even need to drive to banff to have hot spring, just bring your towel to that sh*t hole, enjoy free hot spring!

Toirtis
02-02-2012, 05:50 PM

Mmm...Halifax...so, who's up for some fresh East Coast lobster?

WayneChristie
02-02-2012, 06:40 PM
fished off the fishing pier at Campbell river long ago, dont know what stunk the worst, the pulp mills or the raw sewage they were pumping into the ocean, not far away. Id fish it again in a heartbeat though :sHa_shakeshout:

commieboy
02-02-2012, 07:39 PM
Your understanding is incorrect. Halifax has a very expensive treatment plant which has made a big difference to the harbour. I cannot speak to Vancity tho

I looked it up and the treatment facility in Halifax it only came online in 2008. I was there in 04, 06 and 07. At those times, the harbour had a awful smell and looked absolutely disgusting. The variety of floaties was truly staggering. I read that some of the beaches had ben closed for 30 years due to the level of contamination.

Sounds like things are getting much better, but they still have to pump raw sewage from time to time due to malfunctions at the plant, in turn shutting down the beaches.

I'm happy with Calgary's situation and I wouldn't hesitate fishing the area.

commieboy
02-02-2012, 07:40 PM
fished off the fishing pier at Campbell river long ago, dont know what stunk the worst, the pulp mills or the raw sewage they were pumping into the ocean, not far away. Id fish it again in a heartbeat though :sHa_shakeshout:

Pulp mills....... disgusting smell. Coupled with sewage? Oh god.

BeeGuy
02-02-2012, 07:48 PM
I looked it up and the treatment facility in Halifax it only came online in 2008. I was there in 04, 06 and 07. At those times, the harbour had a awful smell and looked absolutely disgusting. The variety of floaties was truly staggering. I read that some of the beaches had ben closed for 30 years due to the level of contamination.

Sounds like things are getting much better, but they still have to pump raw sewage from time to time due to malfunctions at the plant, in turn shutting down the beaches.

I'm happy with Calgary's situation and I wouldn't hesitate fishing the area.

for sure, I lived in hali in 06/07. amazing that it took so long to get the seawage treated.

Many treatment programs in Canada are shut down during heavy precipitation events. In Toronto, this includes almost every time it rains. 70+ events a year.

I wonder if this is the case in Calgary as well. Anyone know if the treatment goes off line during heavy rainfalls?

fishstix
02-03-2012, 09:39 AM
Ive only fished the water treatment area once. Went a little bit downstream of the spillway and will never fish there again. I would also never recommend anyone to go there. After about ten minutes of casting i noticed some residue buiding on my hands. After about twenty minutes i could feel it coating my line. When i got home i had to wash not only my reel but my line guides on the rod as well.
There are plenty of spots on the bow to fish other than the sewage treatment area. Go to one of them instead.

whitetail Junkie
02-03-2012, 10:09 AM

anywhere down stream of calgary is fishing in the poop.