PDA

View Full Version : Fish Brine?

redranger15
02-02-2012, 11:00 AM
Anyone have a good brine for smoking fish? I have a few tullibee and want to smoke them. Any tips on smoking fish?

TomE
02-02-2012, 11:27 AM
Anyone have a good brine for smoking fish? I have a few tullibee and want to smoke them. Any tips on smoking fish?

I have had success with dry Brine..1/2 sugar and 1/2 salt..Layer in a glass dish..It will make it's own brine. Don't leave for more than a couple of Hrs..Let sit for an hr to form a Pellicule, looks like a skin...Alder for the Smoker...Never had Tullibee..works well with salmon and Trout or fatty fish...

fish gunner
02-02-2012, 11:34 AM
I use 3to1 course salt /brown sugar, garlic or ginger to personal preference.salt and sugar will liquefy in a hour or so, keep fish submerged in liquid.I let mine sit over night.rinse well in the morning pat dry throw in smoker.

greylynx
02-02-2012, 11:41 AM
I don't think I am hijacking this thread if I ask for a brine to make pickled perch roll mops with cucumber and onions.?

Thank-you

Rumtan
02-02-2012, 12:06 PM
The brine I use mostly is 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup soya sauce, 1 cup water. I get the big jugs from Costco of soya and I DONT pat my fish dry when putting them in the smoker. The brown sugar makes a lovely taste and the soya doent make it too salty but adds a rich smokey flavour.

Drewski Canuck
02-02-2012, 12:17 PM
1.5 cups brown sugar to 3/4 cup course salt, Heavy pinch of pickling spice, one full curry pepper, mixed in 5 litres of water, bring to a boil, cool off completely, soak fillets overnight. Take out, rinse off the corriander seeds, pat dry, into the oven at 175 for about 20 minutes, pat dry as they dry. Once a sheen develops on the meat, into the smoker until golden brown. Hickory works great.

Drewski

flyguyd
02-02-2012, 12:21 PM
The brine I use mostly is 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup soya sauce, 1 cup water. I get the big jugs from Costco of soya and I DONT pat my fish dry when putting them in the smoker. The brown sugar makes a lovely taste and the soya doent make it too salty but adds a rich smokey flavour.

Same only i used white wine instead of water:sHa_shakeshout: