PDA

View Full Version : need boat and motor recommendations

Bobby B.
02-02-2012, 02:43 PM
I'm looking for an aluminium boat and electric motor. I want as large of a boat as can be transported on or in my truck instead of on a trailer. I want a motor capable of powering this boat for trolling all day long. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Bobby B.

camshaft
02-02-2012, 02:56 PM
I was in your situation a few years ago looking for a 14ft aluminum that was deep, yet light enough to move by myself and still fit in the back of my truck.

I ended up with a 14ft crestliner. Lightest, deepest boat I cud find. Check their website for the "utility" models as they have changed from when I got mine.

As for elec, cant go wrong with a minnkota 55lb. Costco.ca is prob the cheapest for that motor. Get a couple Kirkland batteries while ur there and u can troll all day. Dont let anyone convince u to go less than a 50lb, u will regret it.

Keep in mind, with that size boat on anything other than a pond will require a gas motor for any efficient trolling. Dont expect to be getting back to shore on a large body of water if the wind picks up....

TROLLER
02-02-2012, 03:46 PM
While electric with a few batteries if good, I would go to a 65lb or bigger thrust.

The biggest thing you have to keep in mind is if you get caught up in a wind you will maybe find yourself in a bit of a jam.

Evinrude and a few others make a 4stroke 4 and 5 hp. That is what I would reccomend.

Bobby B.
02-02-2012, 05:05 PM
Much as I'd like a gas outboard, only electrics are allowed on some of the smaller trout lakes like Millers.

Bobby B.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
02-02-2012, 05:10 PM
Bobby why not look at a 14 or 16 ft aluminum and put duel 65 lb thrust trolling motors on the back as your power to get to different locations and a 45on the front for trolling , that would give you plenty of power for every need you could ever want . Put a couple dry cell batteries charge them up before you go out and your laughing . You can get refurbished batteries at Battery Doctor in Edmonton there just off argyll road .

t3metro
02-02-2012, 05:53 PM
If your planning on electric power i would not recommend looking for a deep boat. A deep boat is great for cutting chop/waves but the trade off is they take more power to push than a flatter bottom boat. Just my thoughts.

TROLLER
02-03-2012, 11:05 AM
Minkota makes a killer I think 100 thrust tiller. A lot of the walleye tourny guys use it for lingy rig fishing and back trolling.

Easy to manuever a tiller and enough juice to get you back to shore when the wind blows.

Bobby B.
02-03-2012, 03:18 PM
I can visualize a 12' or even maybe a 14' fitting on top of my truck's box cap but isn't a 16' just too big?

Bobby B.

liar
02-03-2012, 06:27 PM
i got an inflatable boat ( "saturn" i think) for times i dont want to pull a trailer or when we have gone to bc . its a bit of a pain to inflate and deflate but takes very little room and easy to pack around . i think it weighs 100 lbs . i have hauled in the back seat of my truck with a quad and 15 hp out board in the box . i can also pack it on the quad .