PDA

View Full Version : Red Deer Range

ctd
02-23-2008, 11:09 AM
Anyone know the actual directions to it, Does it still exhist?
Anyone going there, so I can check it out?

Thanks

avb3
02-23-2008, 01:35 PM
You have to be a member of the Red Deer Fish and Game club before you can use the range. It is near Penhold in and is a great range. My son lives down there and uses it frequently. Red Deer F&G can always use more help with range maintenance!

ctd
02-23-2008, 02:13 PM
I just drove down there finally found it. Well the gate into it anyways.
I would like to look at the range itself one of these days.

Then if time allows me to go and check out the Red Deer FGC

buckshoot
02-23-2008, 03:16 PM
It's a decent range, 25, 50, 100 and 200 yard backstops. 5 or 6 benches in a large covered shooting area, table behind for extra stuff. walled in warm up shack with a wood stove. outhouse on site. I believe it is $30 FGA membership plus $50 range fees just need to take a short range etiquette class (2-3 hours)

PM me if you want to have a look and maybe we can get together

sleslie
02-23-2008, 04:43 PM
There is another range just north of Red Deer. You don't have to be a member and it only costs a small donation. Probably not as nice as fish & game's range, but it still gets the job done. Some wooden rests and out to 200yds if you want.

Grizzly Adams
02-23-2008, 08:34 PM
There is another range just north of Red Deer. You don't have to be a member and it only costs a small donation. Probably not as nice as fish & game's range, but it still gets the job done. Some wooden rests and out to 200yds if you want.
Is this the one just west and north of Penhold, near the river? Seems to me there were a couple of incidents of stray bullets hitting houses there and they were talking of closing it.
Grizz

Chuck403
02-23-2008, 09:42 PM
Nope, the one he is talking about is North of Red Deer, on the C&E Trail.

If you were going North on Taylor, cross hwy. 11A, and keep heading north. You will cross some train tracks, and go down a little hill. At the bottom of the hill, to the left, you will see a sign saying "Emil's many guns" or something to that effect. That is where it is.

Cost me a couple bucks for a donation every time I went there. It is only for non restricted use though.

.270fan
02-25-2008, 05:19 PM
Emile Of Many Guns is a retired gunsmith, the range there is decent, for a couple bucks donation. One thing to remember is that it is closed on Sundays and Holidays. He also has some funny signs regarding Liberals...so if you're sporting a Liberal Party sticker :tongue2:

bobcatguy
02-25-2008, 11:13 PM
google rdfga & check out the site . you can find directions to the ranges, the land,the meetings, sportsmanshow ,ect.

ctd
02-25-2008, 11:38 PM
The directions to the R*** range are real poor.
Hwy 2 & Hwy 11 junction.
6.5 kilometers west on Hwy 11
12.3 kilometers south to dead end
0.7 kilometer east
South through the gate into the range

The first part should be from HWY 11 and 2 junction head west to first set of lights, turn left follow till RR284 and TWP381 turn left then follow to the end turn left and first gate on the right with sign.

I spent the better part of two days tracking down the RFG range, which si about 15-20 drive
now to find out their is one by donation, I can shoot at about 5 mins away. Tomorrow I am on the hunt for this range to the north.

Thanks all for the information, One day I may join the RDFG club.

Cheers all

bobcatguy
02-27-2008, 01:01 PM
Hopefully this answers some ?s about the range. You must be a member of the rdfga club in order to use the range. You must take a course before you can get a key to the gate. As for the directions being poor I don't know, I just go out there but I'll follow the posted directions & see where I end up. If they are wrong I'll get our webmaster to change them. Griz posted that straybullets were hitting houses & someone was trying to close it. I don't believe any bullets ever hit any houses but there is 1 house that was built long after the range was there that is behind the backstop. It also behind a big hill. You can not see it & I doubt if you could hit it if you tried The other incident was somebody outside the gate prolly POed that they couldn't get in shooting their guns without knowing what they were shooting at. One of there shots came dangerously close to a tree fort that a young boy was playing in. To be able to get a shot anywhere close to the treehouse from anywhere on the range would be impossible. There were beer bottles found at the gate when this incideny was investigated.
Chuck mentions Emile's range. I went out there yesterday to see if it was still open & didn't get to see Emile but there are tracks in to the private range. This is a good range to 100 yards but if you want to shoot 200 then you pretty much need to be the only group there because the road coming in enter the field at about 150 yds. You need to park of to the side & make sure nobody else comes driving in. BTW Emile is a great guy & really apreciates you stopping at the shop for a gabfest.
AVB3 thanks for the plug & yes we can always use an extra pair of hands for maintainence.eg. mowing the grass

ctd
02-27-2008, 05:03 PM
Unfortunatly I am not all that interested in joining a Fish and Game Club, bad past expierances with them. Including similar from friends and family.

What would be great is if they had a range only membership for pest say $45 a year plus some volunteer work to keep up the range I may be interested in something liek that.

I went out to Emile's range, just to the gate and then turned around, hopefully get a chance to head out ther ein the morning and shoot some rounds off.

Cheers all, Thanks for the great information.