PDA

View Full Version : Drill your own holes!

oueljust
02-03-2012, 02:42 PM
I don’t know if it is just me, but I seriously think there should be a fish etiquette course. I went fishing last weekend and I group of people came right up to my eight holes and started fishing in them. They didn’t ask or even acknowledge that they were fishing right beside my truck. I didn’t say anything until one retard decided to lean up against my truck while fishing in my hole. I know I don’t own the lake, but realllllllyyy!!!!. I’m a pretty nice guy; I would even drill them some holes 10 to 15 feet away from mine if they asked. Has anyone else had trouble with this?

nekred
02-03-2012, 02:43 PM
That is just plain iggernut

fish gunner
02-03-2012, 02:57 PM
steam venting anger.if they did not have the common courtesy to ask ,and possible rage outburst even if the truck was an old jalopy.

Stewie
02-03-2012, 03:04 PM
I don’t know if it is just me, but I seriously think there should be a fish etiquette course. I went fishing last weekend and I group of people came right up to my eight holes and started fishing in them. They didn’t ask or even acknowledge that they were fishing right beside my truck. I didn’t say anything until one retard decided to lean up against my truck while fishing in my hole. I know I don’t own the lake, but realllllllyyy!!!!. I’m a pretty nice guy; I would even drill them some holes 10 to 15 feet away from mine if they asked. Has anyone else had trouble with this?

Yeah that one is pretty bad...

Jamie Black R/T
02-03-2012, 03:08 PM

so what happened when you piped up?

guys like this either dont have any common courtesy towards another human or are just dumb as a sack of hammers and too ignorant to realize they did something wrong....which one was this guy? did he manage to fish his gear up off the bottom of the lake after you were done with him? :)

Sundancefisher
02-03-2012, 03:11 PM
I would say it is not too common. Usually this stems from you being in "their" regular fishing area and sometimes it is a way of trying make you leave. In all the years ice fishing...it was rare.

For others...fishing is social and they feel awkward ignoring others and staying away.

Did they seem friendly and chat? Next time wander over to their cooler and help yourself. Pretend you thought it was yours that you set out by your holes.

Some good old boys go fishing without augers...looking for open holes. Maybe you were the only ones around.

Bobby B.
02-03-2012, 03:14 PM

The way I handle this type of situation is to hold the offender's head submerged in a hole until he's no longer thirsty.

Bobby B.

Jack&7
02-03-2012, 03:18 PM
All valid points, Sundance...

but I gotta say, that takes some pretty big cojones to be that "ignant"!

I am curious to hear what verbal exchanges were had, because I know that while I would not be agressive, I would definitely voice my two cents and ask that they move. And like the OP said, I would even drill the holes for them.

icefever
02-03-2012, 03:21 PM
If they did't even offer you a beer I would have drilled them holes, in a circular pattern around each one of them. I've drilled holes for people who are having auger problems or using a hand one in deep ice but that sounds totally disrespectful

oueljust
02-03-2012, 03:23 PM
I didn’t want to tell the rest of the story, so people wouldn’t be commenting on my childish behavior. I unfortunately lost it, and said some colorful words. I filled my/ his hole with snow and kicked his one perch 15 yards away from my truck and told him to grab a f*** brain. They looked stunned and said “Calm down! What’s wrong with being courteous?” I was so mad I didn’t know what to say back. I’m happy the fists didn’t have to fly, since I was outnumbered. Once I calmed down, I felt really bad, because I didn’t know their story. Maybe their where down on their luck, but if that was the case fricken ask! Ooo well, sometimes a guy just snaps.

flyguyd
02-03-2012, 03:23 PM
Nothin a boot in the azz wouldnt fix. The world is full of knotheads

drake
02-03-2012, 03:45 PM
were you at "Parking Lot Point" on Cross Lake?.....

gilbertslake
02-03-2012, 03:55 PM

reminds me of a story told by Ted Russell, well known Newfoundland story teller who had one story called "Stealin' the Holes" about once guy who steals another's ice holes. For anyone interested, the link is below.

http://www.pigeoninlet.com/stealin.htm

lambski
02-03-2012, 04:07 PM
:snapoutofit: A few years ago I had a guy drill a hole about 6 inches from the door of my my tent, this was when miskiuki was still a brook trout fishery. I sat in my tent stunned and speechless, it was almost to the point of busting out in a fit of laughter if you know what I mean. After about 5 minutes went by I unzipped the door of my tent and asked him if he thought that he may be a little close, that was way over his head, his response was " dont worry there are lots of fish in this lake" all I could do was shake my head and giggle.:sHa_sarcasticlol: Its not your fault I thought to myself.:sign0161:

tightlines
02-03-2012, 04:21 PM
All I have to say is wow! The nerve of some people.

Grizzled
02-03-2012, 04:34 PM
I didn’t want to tell the rest of the story, so people wouldn’t be commenting on my childish behavior. I unfortunately lost it, and said some colorful words. I filled my/ his hole with snow and kicked his one perch 15 yards away from my truck and told him to grab a f*** brain. They looked stunned and said “Calm down! What’s wrong with being courteous?” I was so mad I didn’t know what to say back. I’m happy the fists didn’t have to fly, since I was outnumbered. Once I calmed down, I felt really bad, because I didn’t know their story. Maybe their where down on their luck, but if that was the case fricken ask! Ooo well, sometimes a guy just snaps.

Good for you !...Sometimes you have to lose your sh@t to get the message across...maybe they will not be so stupid next time !

Bigtoad
02-03-2012, 04:51 PM
We had a similar experience last year on Gull lake with a few of us. We were set up 10 yards from our trucks, in a bit deeper water. It was obvious we were a group together because we were at least 100yards from our nearest "neighbours". I vehicle comes by, while my dad and I are taking a short break, slows down, and parks right next to our vehicles.

No problem, we think, (well, except for not parking next to someone's vehicle on ice) and then a bunch of guys pile out of the suv and they begin to punch holes right in front of my dad's truck, not 3 yards from our buddie's shack (which, of course, had a couple of whites laying out in front). Our buddy pops his head and and asks them if they think they're a little close. They ignore him and keep on popping holes and setting up shop.

Well my dad, who is pretty calm, loses it, walks over to them, tells them he needs to move his truck, and when they get out of the way, he drove over their holes, put the truck back in park, and jumps out. Well, they're all in a huff, but dad's 6'5" so they're not about to do anything. Dad explains to them that on a lake that size, it's not ok to do what they just did. It was rude, and they had better put some distance between themselves or a guy driving over their holes would be the last thing they needed to worry about.

Well, back in the suv they went and 60 yards later they finally found a place to fish. It was shocking. Lucky they didn't do that to someone who lacked dad's patience or there really could have been some trouble.:snapoutofit:

fish gunner
02-03-2012, 05:28 PM
glad to hear people feel the same way.just ask and most folks will go out of their way to help.be ignerint and expect the same in return.

vettedreamer
02-03-2012, 05:44 PM
Good for you !...Sometimes you have to lose your sh@t to get the message across...maybe they will not be so stupid next time !

here HEAR x10

pipco
02-03-2012, 05:53 PM
If that don't take the cake, there are iceholes on every lake!

BeeGuy
02-03-2012, 05:57 PM
No one drills my hole. Hell or high water!

huntsfurfish
02-03-2012, 06:05 PM
:)No one drills my hole. Hell or high water!

Have to disagree with that one:). Thats what the fishin partner is for.LOL

delete

I deleted that might get me in trouble with the mods.

BeeGuy
02-03-2012, 06:06 PM
haha, fair enough, and I do have a manual auger

BeeGuy
02-03-2012, 06:07 PM
:)

Have to disagree with that one:). Thats what the fishin partner is for.LOL

play nice

huntsfurfish
02-03-2012, 06:09 PM
Darn I didnt delete fast enough:)lol

huntsfurfish
02-03-2012, 06:16 PM
Thanks BeeGuy:)

BeeGuy
02-03-2012, 06:16 PM
no problemo!

buckbrushoutdoors
02-03-2012, 10:11 PM
I've had guys do this on the river before. Have a couple lines out behind the boat and some guy try to anchor 20 feet behind me over top my lines.... Needless to say he won't try that again:)

New Hunter Okotoks
02-04-2012, 12:47 AM
I think that I would walk up as they were about to punch holes and ask if they were serious. I might also suggest that it night be better for everyone if they moved 50 yards away. IMHO, Anybody setting up that close must be trying to get you to move out of that spot.

The closest that I have ever set up shop to someone is at least 100 yards away. Even at that distance,I had hoped that I wasn't intruding. I have had guys pull up within about 30 or 40 yards during the Badger Derby and that's just fine because there are so many people on a small body of water.

The DragonSlayer
02-04-2012, 07:10 AM
Well, Big Toad.
Your Dad is a pretty clever guy. He had the Perfect Solution !!
I also like the term "Iceholes" It should be applied in a negative context for those lacking etiquette on the ice.

armymike24
02-04-2012, 10:45 AM
Like others said, I would assume that if someone comes right up, says nothing, and sets up pretty much right on top of you that they're trying to make you leave. You'd think that if you were set on fishing in a certain spot and someone was already there you would just ask them if they minded you fishing in the same area, but still maintaining a respectful distance.

I've never had problems on the ice. I have had some heated moments at boat launches. At Maligne lake you can really only launch one at a time, you have to back down the road to the launch. Most people set up at the top, wait their turn, launch quickly, and drive back up to park allowing the next guy to go. Some people back down to the launch and block it, then spend the next hour or so setting up their gear, all while there is a line up of people up top waiting to launch. I confronted one guy about this and he said "Hey man, the boat launch is for EVERYBODY!" This caught me off guard because that was what I was trying get across to him. Some people....

sheepstalker
02-04-2012, 11:25 AM
I would have lost my mind..........there would be some people going for "ice naps"

Moo Snukkle
02-04-2012, 11:33 AM
Kind of a pain, but I take an old dishsoap bottle and fill it with food coloring and water. After I drill my holes I give a squirt by each one to identify them as "mine". Anyone ignoring the simple "blue holes are taken" comment will have to deal with me rummaging through their vehicle and eating their lunch. After all, they insisted that we "share our stuff".

Jack&7
02-04-2012, 11:13 PM
I like the truck-parking method...genius!

I would also be tempted to walk right over to where they are setting up, whip it out and take a leak all around the place.

Then calmly zip up....say "Ahhhhhhhh...that's better. Beautiful marnin', ain't she?"

And go back into my tent.

WayneChristie
02-04-2012, 11:17 PM
if Im fishing with friendS, I dont care how close we fish, but for strangers to pull up and snuggle SHE better be pretty damn fine. or have a big baggie!:bad_boys_20:

college-fisherman
02-05-2012, 11:24 AM
This happened to me yesterday. I was first on the lake early in the morning and three people showed up in a car and parked right next to me and basically surrounded me. I was ****ed off at first but by the time I left I had out fished the three of them by a long shot, they couldn't catch a thing.

WayneChristie
02-05-2012, 05:18 PM
This happened to me yesterday. I was first on the lake early in the morning and three people showed up in a car and parked right next to me and basically surrounded me. I was ****ed off at first but by the time I left I had out fished the three of them by a long shot, they couldn't catch a thing.

I love it when that happens. and if they ask you what you are using lie! tell them raisins. :bad_boys_20:

glen1971
02-06-2012, 06:11 AM
It takes all kinds.. Some definately need to do some research on etiquette...

We were fishing up north and a guy came by in his canoe, about 60 feet from shore in front of us.. There was plenty of other places to fish (as it is a good sized lake), but this guy decided to pull up right in front of us...Dad asked how his fishin was going.. He said ok... Dad said, well then head back to where it was better, it's a big lake.. The guy said whatever, he could fish where ever he wanted... Dad asked how easy it would be to paddle his canoe to shore with two holes in it? The guy said what does that mean.. Dad said wait and see and headed for the truck.. The guy reeled up and paddled off...