PDA

View Full Version : 4lb test

BeeGuy
02-03-2012, 11:21 PM
So I picked up some 4lb line for perch, and have been thinking about using it for lake whites, although I dont have a lot of experience using line this light and I'm a little concerned about actually landing a 6lb whitie on 4lb line.

What about hook sets?

Am I just going to break the line at the knot??

Any advice is welcome!

SonnyJ
02-03-2012, 11:29 PM
I tried 4lbs once and lost a lot of fish and hooks..lol

I sooooo prefer 6lbs..:)

Dust1n
02-03-2012, 11:32 PM
I prefer 2lb test with my UL razor tip rod. sets the hook nice with a slow action rod. anything more and you can snap your line or not get enough tension to keep your fish on. so match your rod to your line.

horsetrader
02-03-2012, 11:35 PM
If you can ice a 12 lb pike on 8 lb test you can land a 6 lb white on 4 lb test its all in the drag and rod. As far as hook set you are hooking a white not a BASS no need to power set a white has a fairly soft mouth and if you hook is sharp it is a pull not a jerk. Should be no big problem

Willowtrail
02-03-2012, 11:40 PM
Been using 4ilb 832 suffix ice and 4 lb fluro tip all year and haven't lost a fish due to breakage yet. Like trader said, white not bass. Use a fast tip rod and light drag and its all you.

You can do it Bee.

BeeGuy
02-04-2012, 12:00 AM
sweet

I've got 25" light action bob izumi rods

should be ok I think

BeeGuy
02-04-2012, 12:01 AM
If you can ice a 12 lb pike on 8 lb test you can land a 6 lb white on 4 lb test its all in the drag and rod. As far as hook set you are hooking a white not a BASS no need to power set a white has a fairly soft mouth and if you hook is sharp it is a pull not a jerk. Should be no big problem

haha for sure,

You should see tezma set the hook on a 1lb rockie.

He tries to set the hook and land the fish all in one motion.

Tyangelo
02-04-2012, 12:06 AM
I've been using 4lb mono for whites for as long as I can remember:sHa_shakeshout:

Speckle55
02-04-2012, 12:14 AM
I have some problems using to lite line i use #8 line for Lake Whites when ice fishing as you have to lift them up the hole most times .my buddy Bill lost a 3 lber today as a break off he had #6 on i caught 5 on #8 ..as in any fishing you can catch on lite line 2#/4#/ 6# .. just have to finnese them in,, good luck on a 6 # lake White lifting it up the hole and it shaking its head. here is a 5#15 ozer i caught 39 one season in the 4 to 6 # range.. i tried lite line when chasing World record line classes .46787

Food for Thought
David

Rockymtnx
02-04-2012, 12:27 AM
I've been using 4lb mono for whites for as long as I can remember:sHa_shakeshout:

X2

HunterDave
02-04-2012, 10:16 AM
I have some problems using to lite line i use #8 line for Lake Whites when ice fishing as you have to lift them up the hole most times.

Good point. One spool with 4# and one with 8# maybe.

Gust
02-04-2012, 11:29 AM
i have a really simple knot that makes the 4lb like 10lb but cant find it on the interweb,,, it's that one you use for tying to your floating line,, maybe someone knows the name of it,, you feed the line into the eye of the hook towards the hook not to heaven, then you pinch a sewing needle along the shank then starting closer to the hook start wrapping the line around both back up towards the eye of the hook and the needle and then feed the line into the needle and pull under the coil of line,,, i know you guys know the name of this simple knot,,, but it's great for making the lighter stuff act more like the heavier guage..

Flyfisher87
02-04-2012, 01:47 PM

x3

Flyfisher87
02-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Catching fish in 4lb test is a lot of fun. Even during open water. Landed an 8lb rainbow that decided to be acrobatic one fall afternoon. Puts a guy on edge when they start doing that on light line lol. Just check the line for knicks and abrasions after every fish, snag, or when fishing in structure.

BeeGuy
02-04-2012, 02:25 PM
Thanks guys,

Now I just need to hook a fiah

WayneChristie
02-04-2012, 11:01 PM
I started using 4 pound for rockies just to make it more challenging, when I moved to pike country I kept a setup with 4 pound on it, I use it in the summer at PCR for the eyes, works great, also had one of the behemouths on it, got a couple runs out of it and actually got it to the surface before it broke me off, well over 20 and closer to 30 pounds, it took the walleye i had hooked, now that was a rush! :sHa_shakeshout: took it to the original lake X one day and made it up to a 7 pound pike, then got one bigger but it wrapped my anchor and broke off. lots of fun tho! I used Trilene xtra tough or something like that, its a lot tougher than regular 4 pound test. even gone down to 2 pound test in the calgary section of the Bow for rockies, you tend to lose lots of fish but its a blast fighting a good 3 or 4 pound fish in heavy current on it. gives you a good test of your fighting technique and drag for sure

WayneChristie
02-04-2012, 11:01 PM
Thanks guys,

Now I just need to hook a fiah

I hooked a fiat once, it spun the tires and broke my line

Badback
02-05-2012, 10:50 AM
Bass Pro carries a brand of line call Northland and it has a series called Bionic Ice...I picked up a 5 lb test (100 yards per roll) and has has worked out really good...Lost a few hooks to the brookies out West and went shopping for a new line...This should work well for whites...