PDA

View Full Version : basket lake burbs

billycap
02-04-2012, 01:07 PM
Well i woke up super early n headed out to the big basket in search of some monsters... After 10 hours of drilling and moving (hand auger) we had only one lil kokanee and a small bull on the ice.. Had a couple good sized bulls latch on but as always the big shake at the bottom of the hole set them free.. Was getting discouraged as its a big production to get down to the lake (even with 4x4 bring a shovel) As it was getting Dark i decided to light a big fire n cook up some nice steaks ive been marinating for far too long. Well the steak on a stick turned out too be way too salty for human consumption so i jokingly slapped a healthy chunk on a big jig head n dropped it down the hole. Within seconds of hitting the bottom (30ft) a healthy ling had inhaled it. What came next was nothing short of a slaughter! A few points i learned the hard way that i would like to share: Tip up was useless as they would take the bait and enough line to snag up on the bottom around the billion logs n rocks, I found that a stick with just enough line to touch the bottom worked well and kept my hands warmer than using my uglystick jigging (this lake is super windy). The ice there went from over 12 inch in the shady spots to under 3 inch where it gets alot of sun... lots of open holes with bubbles coming up to watch out for. Be sure to bring a friend (and some rope) cause the area is super isolated and if you went threw alone its all over, and landing the larger ones is a lot more easy with a bud to grab em coming up ( broke my 30lbs twice trying to hand line a big monster up).

anyway good luck n may the burb be with you

1bigboomstick
02-04-2012, 02:26 PM
Sweet burbs man!

moosehunter3-0
02-04-2012, 05:27 PM
Nice, thats a good catch.

jacenbeers
02-04-2012, 10:35 PM
Those are super long but crazy skinny. They must not get much to eat

billycap
02-04-2012, 11:09 PM
yeah kinbasket lake is known for being short on grub... the lake is huge but very little biomass and the fact that they drain it right down in the winter (100+ ft lower than where i launched the boat this summer) does not do much for the smaller feed critters. Have yet to see even one scud or anything other than fish for that matter. Kokanee only seem to get 12-14 inches tops too