PDA

View Full Version : Block Lakes Banff

Dust1n
02-04-2012, 08:11 PM
Has anyone hiked to the lake? Or any pics of the lake?
I'm planning a trip up there for the landlocked chars and videoing, So any information on the lake would be great being i can find nothing on the forum about it.
Thanks

fishpro
02-04-2012, 08:49 PM
Haven't been there myself but have read about one or two others going up. Long, difficult hike, getting there will be the biggest adventure. I may be mistaken, but I think there may be an extended section of uphill bushwacking - about 8km (I very well may be confusing this with another hike, so don't hold me to it). It's a place I want to get someday, if you do go please post a detailed report, sounds like it would be an incredible trip.

uplander
02-04-2012, 11:43 PM
Overall amazing hike but hard as hell and not for the faint of heart the scenery can't be beat but it's not a place you would go just for the fishing cuz it's not very good but overall a cool place to say you have hiked to

McLeod
02-05-2012, 09:42 AM
This is not a "Let's good for a hike and do some fishing "
A trip to the Block Lakes is an expedition. Requires extensive planning and research. Unless you are taking someone who has been with you ..finding the route up into the lake is major challenge. And most of all you need to be in great shape...Mountain goat preferred...It's easier to catch these fish in Quebec but if you make ...then it's like winning a championship and no one can ever take it away from you !

Map Maker
02-05-2012, 01:38 PM
good luck, hope you can make it up there.

I planned a trip quite a few years back to go in from west (bushwhacking) as opposed from Minnewanka side.
Never did pan out but i heard there is rock wall to climb up at the lake after the 35km hike.
I think the Minnewanka way is the only safe way in.

The only other thing i know is that the first ~24km is a fireroad but your only allowed bikes for the first 10k. (can't remember the distances accurately off-hand)

Definately on my to-do list, but it wouldnt surprise me if there was no fish in there. So like others, i wouldnt just go for the fishing but for the hike.

BeeGuy
02-05-2012, 08:04 PM
what kind of charr?

Dust1n
02-05-2012, 08:22 PM
Landlocked Arctic Char - Quebec Red Trout