PDA

View Full Version : Help buying a new Fishing package.

NoKlu
02-04-2012, 09:00 PM
I have never had a good rod or reel and am looking for suggestions. I find myself working between Red Earth and Peace river and the guys are telling me there is great fishing in the area with lots of decent sized pike.
Someone tossed a log through the window of my trailer and cleaned me out so I'm in need of new gear and would like to upgrade. Not to pro equipment but not a$69.99 package deal from CT either. What do I need to look for in a rod,or how do I pick a good one? The greatest rod I have ever owned is an Ugly Stick so there is lots of room for improvement there.

Reels are a mystery to me. I would be looking at 1-200 for a reel and would like so recommendations in that range. If you know of a good reel,what makes it good?

DuhPikeMasta
02-04-2012, 09:45 PM
I work at basspro in Calgary in the fishing dept. We've got a deal right now on the pflueger president reel and the bass pro graphite series rods. Separately the reel. Is 65 and the rod is 40.together for 69.99 to 74.97 depending on the size of the reel and rod you get. If you want something for pike it will be 75 price. Come in and I'll get you outfitted. Ask for brennan

Badflies
02-04-2012, 10:10 PM
Ive got the presidential, it's an awesome reel. You rod depends on how you fish. I have a browning 6 rivers rod. It's IM6 graphite (strong, not bombproof) medium heavy and 8'6" long. If you were jigging from a boat it would be a real pain but I shorecast. About a hundred bucks for the rod, I had two spools filled (braid and flouro) on the reel and it was still under $200. You should probably grab a couple setups, the above is my pike one and would be less than ideal for, say whitefish or smaller trout. I am sure the guys on this forum will have a few more ideas too. What are you trying to catch with your new gear and how?

-JR-
02-04-2012, 10:14 PM
Alot of brands out there.
I would look for the lightest rod if you will be casting and not trolling with it.
Around 6.5 feet long . On the rod it will say how stiff it is. Go with no less than Medium to Heavey and I would lean more towards just the heavy action. I find you can cast much farther on a heavy .

NoKlu
02-04-2012, 10:41 PM
I want to be able to catch a few Perch still fishing, and then cast or troll for some Pike and preferably not have to switch rods if that's possible. I would like to be able to feel a light Perch nibble. friggen oilers are losing again! I like to shorecast for eye's in the pembina. Can I get a decent setup that will cover all those fishing adventures or should I have a couple of options. They just tied it up again.

NoKlu
02-04-2012, 10:54 PM
I'm looking to get a Kayak this summer so that would be my main trolling rig.

Geezle
02-05-2012, 08:54 AM
I want to be able to catch a few Perch still fishing, and then cast or troll for some Pike and preferably not have to switch rods if that's possible. I would like to be able to feel a light Perch nibble. friggen oilers are losing again! I like to shorecast for eye's in the pembina. Can I get a decent setup that will cover all those fishing adventures or should I have a couple of options. They just tied it up again.

That would be asking a lot out of one setup...not impossible, but far from ideal.

If the pike you're going after aren't super huge you can probably get away with a medium/fast rod. I have a couple relatively inexpensive (about $30) Shimano Sojourn rods would probably fit the bill.

That being said, it wouldn't hurt to have a couple decent setups...something in a Med/Heavy for pike and something a little lighter for the smaller fish. Shop around a little and you can probably put together two decent different setups for ~100 a piece :)

NoKlu
02-05-2012, 09:53 AM
That's the way I was set up before the breakin. I was checking out the packages at BassPro online. I've never heard of Pflueger before but it seems they get good reviews. With all the different materials used to build rods,is there a way to compare them in the store or do you just grab the lightest one and buy it? What I think I'm trying to ask is, do different construction materials give the rod different feedback to the user? Am i over thinking this?

Willowtrail
02-05-2012, 10:54 AM
I like to use the Shimano Voltaeus rod for perch. Lots of size options for $42. Go in to The Fishin Hole and talk to someone there. Those huys know their stuff and will get you set up for your budget.

I agree with Geezle. Its hard to get one rod for everything but 2 should fit your applications.

NoKlu
02-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Thank's for the help guys. I've spent a few hours reading up on rods so now I'm an expert. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

I should be able to narrow things down a bit. If I spent 200 on 2 different sets instead of on just the one setup I'll be better off. Just have to watch the sales and take my time.

Crossfire
02-05-2012, 02:23 PM
A Pflueger President in my opinion is the best bang for your buck at around 75 dollars! I own 3 in different sizes and they perform flawlessly! i also own 3 shimano stradics which are also great reels but run around $220.00
Rods are all personal preference but if you want something super durable either Ugly Stik or a Shimano Voltaeus!

-JR-
02-05-2012, 02:25 PM
Sportsmen show coming in a month or so .

DuhPikeMasta
02-07-2012, 03:00 PM
That's the way I was set up before the breakin. I was checking out the packages at BassPro online. I've never heard of Pflueger before but it seems they get good reviews. With all the different materials used to build rods,is there a way to compare them in the store or do you just grab the lightest one and buy it? What I think I'm trying to ask is, do different construction materials give the rod different feedback to the user? Am i over thinking this?

Easiest way to describe the difference between Ross is fiberglass and graphite. Fiberglas is strong as **** but lacks sensitivity. Graphite, is more sensitive on the other hand but if you cheap out on one you get what you pay for. Give a crappy 40 dollar rod a go and then go feel a 120 buck st.croix. I don't mean to sound like an elitist dick but you do get what you pay for when it comes to rods