PDA

View Full Version : Newell Yesterday

calgarygringo
02-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Had a relatively quiet day at our spot on Newell yesterday. Only caught 4 pike and 5 hits all day. Only one was any size to speak of below at 7 lb 9 oz on the digital scale the rest were all smaller. Ice rhickness has shrunk about 2 inches from last week in the same spot and starting to break down on the top. I see this week is not supposed to be much above freezing until the end of the week so should probably stay as is for a while yet. We drove out and was 17 inches. Only saw 2 others from our location so pretty quiet on the lake.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/calgarygringo/Fishing/Newell2012-02-041415111.jpg

cdkeim
02-05-2012, 11:23 AM
Hi Gringo,

Yea, it was pretty slow out there. I was the one scooting around out there from place to place trying to find some fish. Only caught 2 and nothing over 5 lbs. Had my underwater camera going the entire time and only saw 3 fish total! Are they hiding out in the main lake somewhere? I can never figure them out. Ice is sure cracking up even though the thickness isnt to bad.

calgarygringo
02-05-2012, 12:18 PM
I think maybe the day. We have been having real good days lately and that is the slowest day we have had in many out there. Yes lots of noise yesterday but we still got a few. Weather is not supposed to be quite as warn this coming week out that way so hopefully the ice stay in the same shape. We are going to try again next Saturday and hope for more.

madatter
02-05-2012, 12:23 PM
I think maybe the day. We have been having real good days lately and that is the slowest day we have had in many out there. Yes lots of noise yesterday but we still got a few. Weather is not supposed to be quite as warn this coming week out that way so hopefully the ice stay in the same shape. We are going to try again next Saturday and hope for more.

I'm hoping to meet a few guys from the Hat there too next Saturday....hope the fishin is better!

WayneChristie
02-05-2012, 05:17 PM
probably hit Jackfish next Sunday, save me a couple :bad_boys_20: may try another area on Newell instead, depends on the weather. I dont think we will lose any ice this week, and the full moon is on the way so the pike will likely slow down and the walleye turn on. but I could be wrong again!

Daceminnow
02-05-2012, 07:39 PM
nice catch gringo. do you keep your fish alive down the hole on a stringer? i've never seen anyone do that before ice fishing. interesting for sure.

Dace

calgarygringo
02-05-2012, 09:20 PM
Always keep them fresh down the hole. Not so much for the keeping alive but I usually take the guts etc. out before we leave and it is much easier to do when not a big chunk of frozen curly fish. If lucky with weather like lately it is also muche easier to fillet when we get home. Partner only had 1 for us to do yesterday but as example last week we had 4 pike and since I am the fillet guy to do all 4 frozen solid and curled is not the answer. I prefer to do them real cold and with nothing inside makes the filet job easy. Just drill another hole and drop them down and keep them fresh and not frozen. These are last Saturdays and they would have ticked me off if I had to filet them frozen solid and or curled up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/calgarygringo/Fishing/P1282875.jpg

cujo1969
02-05-2012, 09:30 PM
:party0052: dam nice fish