PDA

View Full Version : AFGA Political Bias

capthook
02-25-2008, 09:18 AM
Hello all..

As many of you know, Ted Morton gave a speech at the AFGA AGM last weekend in Edmonton... I am of the view that allowing Morton the podium during an election was inappropriate at best... but what really sets the AFGA leadership apart is their subsequent refusal to allow a representative of the Alberta Liberal party to address the gathering... Can anyone shed some light on why the AFGA acted in what appears to be a biased and unfair way at the AGM?

Best regards

Capthook

Duk Dog
02-25-2008, 09:24 AM
Don't quote me but I believe as a non profit organization they cannot get political. Regardless of a current election or not I believe the SRD minister has always spoken at the AGM.

sheephunter
02-25-2008, 09:24 AM
It's been a tradition for as long as I can remember that the acting minister of SRD speak Friday afternoon at the convention and hold the Minister's Luncheon....that's what he did.....end of story.

nekred
02-25-2008, 09:58 AM
non-profit org can be political eg. ABA

Charitable org cannot be.... eg St John Ambulance

CNP
02-25-2008, 10:25 AM
Fairness is not a factor. Should every party have been given the podium at the AGM..........making promises? Not the venue for that imho.

lazy ike
02-25-2008, 10:31 AM
Fairness is not a factor. Should every party have been given the podium at the AGM..........making promises? Not the venue for that imho.

The Liberals simply looked sleazy trying to crash the meeting.

buddyhunter
02-25-2008, 11:02 AM
Hello all..

As many of you know, Ted Morton gave a speech at the AFGA AGM last weekend in Edmonton... I am of the view that allowing Morton the podium during an election was inappropriate at best... but what really sets the AFGA leadership apart is their subsequent refusal to allow a representative of the Alberta Liberal party to address the gathering... Can anyone shed some light on why the AFGA acted in what appears to be a biased and unfair way at the AGM?

Best regards

Capthook

You forgot to mention the donation of $150000. Is it even legal to do that during an election?

sheephunter
02-25-2008, 11:05 AM
You forgot to mention the donation of $150000. Is it even legal to do that during an election?

Again, no conspiracy here....SRD routinely gives money to AFGA at their annual convention.....election year or not. From someone that has been to countless AFGA conventions, I can tell you that there was nothing in the Minister's address this year that was any different from non-election years other than he told a funny and non-partisan political joke about campaigns. For those of you dying to find one I'm sorry to tell you, there no conspiracy here. There is a long standing tradition of the minister addressing the members and giving money to the organization at the annual convention.

Duk Dog
02-25-2008, 11:09 AM
Again, no conspiracy here....SRD routinely gives money to AFGA at their annual convention.....election year or not.

Sure helps with various AFGA projects.

duffy4
02-25-2008, 01:52 PM
As sheep said, it was not Ted Morton who was invited to speak. It was THE MINITER OF SRD whom ever that would be.

And if ever a minister would have wanted to pass on the invitation or request no question period after his talk, this could have been it. Mister Morton brought up the open spaces topic and spoke a fair bit about it. I would guess he knew there was a fair bit of opposition to it. He then was quite willing to answr questions about it as long as there were more. And i think he did a very good job of answering questions. Then hunger overcame a lot of delegates interest in O.S. and they began to flock to the tables for lunch. So they were concerned enough to vote against it later on at the resolutions session but not concerned enough to listen to the questions and answers about it.

Robin in Rocky

Waxy
02-25-2008, 02:08 PM
Nevermind.

Non productive.

Waxy