PDA

View Full Version : Drilled one hole and lost the auger!

N8orDie
02-05-2012, 09:23 PM
Just a funny story:

Was at chain lakes two weeks ago. My buddy's auger was missing the pin that secures the handle to the actual auger. I figured I'd just jam my needle nose pliers in the hole instead of walking all the way back to the car to look for a pin we weren't even sure was there. This solution actually worked pretty well until the auger punched through the first hole. The pliers slipped out of the hole and before I could realized what was happening, I watched the end of the auger disappear under the ice. Felt pretty stupid. Luckily, some folks near us let us use their auger and we were all able to fish.

harrydude
02-05-2012, 09:31 PM
How deal were you and did you gps it?

wolfman403
02-05-2012, 09:34 PM
Welded mine together and forever solved that problem:sHa_shakeshout:

WayneChristie
02-05-2012, 09:39 PM
my jiffy had a pin with a cheap plastic strap, tore most of the way though the first month, so I got a spring clip from work, works great and it comes apart in less than a second. a bolt would work too. pliers eh? :bad_boys_20::bad_boys_20:

huntin
02-05-2012, 09:43 PM
I have heard 2 stories of people fishing out the augers this winter with success.

perchie15
02-05-2012, 09:55 PM
my jiffy had a pin with a cheap plastic strap, tore most of the way though the first month, so I got a spring clip from work, works great and it comes apart in less than a second. a bolt would work too. pliers eh? :bad_boys_20::bad_boys_20:

mhmm yea i hear ya i have the same thing.. maybe i should put one on to before something like that does happen to me...:mad3:

HunterDave
02-05-2012, 10:03 PM
I have heard 2 stories of people fishing out the augers this winter with success.

How'd they manage to fish it out..........with a fish tv, rope and a lasoo/hook?

Gust
02-05-2012, 10:07 PM
go buy some crappy radio shack speakers from the 70's at a flea market,,, pull the magnet off the whoofer and it'll get your auger close enough to reach with your hand and feed it back up a hole

HunterDave
02-05-2012, 10:13 PM
go buy some crappy radio shack speakers from the 70's at a flea market,,, pull the magnet off the whoofer and it'll get your auger close enough to reach with your hand and feed it back up a hole

Great idea Gus......Thanks! I'm going to keep one in the truck toolbox and it can gather up all of the nails, screws, drill bits, etc until I ever need it.

grind stone
02-05-2012, 11:52 PM
N8orDie Drilled one hole and lost the auger!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just a funny story:

Was at chain lakes two weeks ago. My buddy's auger was missing the pin that secures the handle to the actual auger. I figured I'd just jam my needle nose pliers in the hole instead of walking all the way back to the car to look for a pin we weren't even sure was there. This solution actually worked pretty well until the auger punched through the first hole. The pliers slipped out of the hole and before I could realized what was happening, I watched the end of the auger disappear under the ice. Felt pretty stupid. Luckily, some folks near us let us use their auger and we were all able to fish. :sEm_oops2::lol::lol: ahh whats a person to do.

Jimboy
02-06-2012, 12:54 AM
Princess auto has large magnets for not much money

Rovin
02-06-2012, 12:57 AM
Just a funny story:

Was at chain lakes two weeks ago. My buddy's auger was missing the pin that secures the handle to the actual auger. I figured I'd just jam my needle nose pliers in the hole instead of walking all the way back to the car to look for a pin we weren't even sure was there. This solution actually worked pretty well until the auger punched through the first hole. The pliers slipped out of the hole and before I could realized what was happening, I watched the end of the auger disappear under the ice. Felt pretty stupid. Luckily, some folks near us let us use their auger and we were all able to fish.

You do know people read these posts, right?

Kokanee9
02-06-2012, 02:35 AM
1 of those welding magnets from princess auto would work well.

Now if only you had an auger to drill another hole to fish it out.....

Kim473
02-06-2012, 05:06 AM
Just a reminder. check your bolts on your power augers. I check mine often and have found more than once that the bolt has started to back off. Guess its just the vibration.

harrydude
02-06-2012, 06:30 AM
Just a reminder. check your bolts on your power augers. I check mine often and have found more than once that the bolt has started to back off. Guess its just the vibration.

That is why you use a new nylock nut

Kim473
02-06-2012, 06:54 AM
Mine threads into the shaft. No nut. Lock tight and check often.

huntin
02-06-2012, 09:10 AM
How'd they manage to fish it out..........with a fish tv, rope and a lasoo/hook?

not sure how one of them did it but the other was on saturday the auger was sticking straight up they managed to tie a couple weights to a line and get them into the top of the auger. Then they tied a heavy leader on some 30lb test looped it back to its self using the first line as a guide they got the leader around the neck choked it and pulled it back up the hole. A little bit of clever thinking i'd say

HunterDave
02-06-2012, 10:38 AM
Princess auto has large magnets for not much money

I'll have to pick one up......$9......cheap like borscht:

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product/8089377/Welding-Magnets/X-Large-Welding-Magnet

Kokanee9
02-06-2012, 12:03 PM
I'll have to pick one up......$9......cheap like borscht:

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product/8089377/Welding-Magnets/X-Large-Welding-Magnet

For the size, strength, and price, they are probably your best bet.

Even on open water in the boat, they may come in handy.

dwedmon
02-06-2012, 12:08 PM
Princess Auto also sells rare earth magnets that are about the size of a quater and are amazingly strong. A small magnet might be earier to get onto the auger and should be strong enough to bring up a hand auger.

walking buffalo
02-06-2012, 12:23 PM

This was my thought before I read your post.

These magnets are stronger than the welding magnets. And are FREE!

When I see a dead speaker in the alley, the magnets come home with me.

N8orDie
02-06-2012, 05:03 PM
Didn't want to walk back to the car, let alone go to a hardware or speaker store!

Kevin_Thunder
02-06-2012, 06:17 PM
Didn't want to walk back to the car, let alone go to a hardware or speaker store!

Lol. You can't be bothered to drive and walk a bit to save your auger? You must have quite a lot of disposable income... But if you did, you'd have a power auger. So Laziness it is! ;)
How do you muster up the energy to wake up in the morning? Regular life must be tough for you :happy0034:

harrydude
02-06-2012, 06:22 PM
Now u got no choice but to go buy something ...lololol

HunterDave
02-06-2012, 08:00 PM
I figured I'd just jam my needle nose pliers in the hole instead of walking all the way back to the car to look for a pin we weren't even sure was there.

You know what's even funnier N8? Your logic makes PERFECT sense to me and it's something that I'd likely do too. :lol: That's why I was so interested in knowing how someone would go about recovering the auger. Thanks for the laugh!

double gun
02-07-2012, 09:22 AM
Lee Valley sells a magnet that can lift 150 pounds. Under possible uses it mentions lifting outboards from lake bottoms.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?p=32071&cat=3,42363,42356&ap=2

EZM
02-07-2012, 01:58 PM
Lol. You can't be bothered to drive and walk a bit to save your auger? You must have quite a lot of disposable income... But if you did, you'd have a power auger. So Laziness it is! ;)
How do you muster up the energy to wake up in the morning? Regular life must be tough for you :happy0034:

What was the point in making that comment? not cool.

HunterDave
02-07-2012, 02:31 PM
Lee Valley sells a magnet that can lift 150 pounds. Under possible uses it mentions lifting outboards from lake bottoms.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?p=32071&cat=3,42363,42356&ap=2

YUUUUUUPPPPPP! Now that's what I'm talking about! A man's magnet.......who, who, who! I'm gettin' one! :)

YeeHaw
02-07-2012, 03:22 PM
Had that happen to me a few years ago on Wabamun, thank god I had the Husqvarna with a 24" bar, and some rope. Lugnuts worked great for weight, and 5ft of water helped alot as well.

Kevin_Thunder
02-07-2012, 03:55 PM

Hahaha, did you read what the OP said? Everyone was giving out good ideas on how to retrieve his auger, and he brushed it off by declaring that if he didn't want to walk to the truck to find a pin, why would he go to a hardware or speaker store?

He was obviously just posting a funny post, with no real intent on giving away good info, or taking any, so I decided to jab at him. The jab was not directed at anyone else who were giving away good advice, no hard feelings friend, its just a public internet forum. ;)

perchie15
02-07-2012, 04:08 PM
Mhmm those magnets sound interesting. I had lost n anchor in one lake shackle just came loose n fell off. Think when I make it diefenbaker this year I'll but one or find a old speaker. Thx lol

Shmag
02-07-2012, 04:18 PM
A buddy also lost one a few yrs back, the ol trusty 5 of diamonds on about 20 lb test was enough to bring it back up. It also stood straight up when it hit bottom.

N8orDie
02-07-2012, 05:32 PM

Ha, if I'm gonna go ice fishing instead of hiking up and down a river...you know I'm already in a lazy mood!

Trust me people, I know it's an embarrassing story but hey, sometimes one can only laugh at oneself. BUT, after reading this thread, I'll think about bringing a big magnet the next time I head out, that is a great idea. And I'll definitely make sure my buddy...errrr...I mean I check our gear more carefully.

kevinhits
02-08-2012, 04:32 PM

I agree.. The guy feels bad enough..Probably would of done the same thing!!!