PDA

View Full Version : What do you wear Ice Fishing?

Willowtrail
02-06-2012, 08:51 AM
As the title states, What do you wear.

I wear Arctic Sport Muck boots so my feet stay warm and dry. Can drill lots of holes and not have to worry about water coming out of the holes.

I just picked up a new Frabill IceSuit From The Fishin Hole and tested it out this weekend. Absolutely love it. The bib pants are the bomb. Full leg zippers, a couple pockets and even fleece lined pockets up top to keep bare hands warm. The front zipper opens from the top or bottom so a quick potty break is easy for the boys. Padded knees and waterproof.

The jacket is just as great. Same fleece pockets and more zipper and velcro pockets that I need. Even has a spot for an Ipod. Theres a hood on it but it doesn't zip off. Not too heavy for a 3/4 length jacket.

No more cold back while bending down to land a fish. Overall its a great suit and I recommend it to all. I tought skiing for many years and had some really great uniforms and this ranks right up there. Well worth the $399.99

Get into The Fishin Hole to get yours while they still have stock. Here's a link to the suit, http://frabill.com/clothing/frabill-apparel/icesuit-5.html

Rumtan
02-06-2012, 09:33 AM
Does it also float? and what does it weigh? I have a all-in-one insulated coveralls but would like to switch to something lighter.

npauls
02-06-2012, 10:05 AM
I just tried out my new strikemaster ice suit yesterday and love it. I also wear a muck type boot but they aren't muck brand. They are insulated and keep my feet dry and warm. I picked up the strikemaster suit for under $200 on their website when they were having a sale.

Saltmania
02-06-2012, 10:10 AM
I use the same strategy and clothes for all my back-country pursuits year round. I layer with technical clothing and just adjust the number of layers based on temperature and weather.

Underwear: Merino wool! undershirt, longjohns, sock liners, and neck tube. The icebreaker brand is amazingly good but pricey.

Thermal layer: Fleece pants, fleece jacket, thick wool socks, fleece gloves, toque.

If it's really warm I eliminate some or all of this layer. If it's super cold I'll double up on this layer with one thin fleece, and one thick.

Outer layer: Goretex pants, jacket, and mittens. Sorel boots or Merrell hiking boots depending on application.

My MEC goretex shell jacket and pants I got in '99 are the BEST. Not a single rip or tear and they are still 100% waterproof. However, I take good care of them and re-treat them with water repellent every year.

I like this method, because I can use it for everything year-round and don't have any redundancy. It breathes extremely well too so I don't get sweaty when I'm working and chilled when I rest. I'm never going back to sport-specific clothing.

HunterDave
02-06-2012, 10:26 AM
With all of this nice weather that we've been having I've been wearing blue jeans, a lumberjack jacket and a pair of hunting boots.....lol. I plan on going out this afternoon for a bit and even though the sun is shining, it's a bit cooler than what we've been seeing. I think that I'll finally break out the winter coveralls and muckluks and see if those chemical hand/foot warmers from last year are still good.

To be honest, I do allot of different activities during the winter (ice fish, skidoo, hunt, camp) and I wear cold weather clothing that I can use for all activities. Although I do have some white camo specifically for yote hunting, it'd get a little expensive if I started buying activity specific stuff. As long as it keeps me warm it's all good. :)

ORV
02-06-2012, 10:39 AM
helly hanson 2 pc. suit.

love it!

can sit out at minus-20 & be fine.

horsetrader
02-06-2012, 11:13 AM
Integrated 2 piece float suite

MoFugger21
02-06-2012, 11:56 AM
Wind River long underwear & wool socks, old jeans and hoodie, Tough Duck insulated coveralls (bib w/ front and side zippers and coat) and insulated boots, and then Wind River gloves and whatever toque I have laying around.

Takes a lot for me to get cold with my get'up. And though the Tough Ducks aren't water resistant/proof, I don't often find myself needing to roll around on the ice to get them wet, so it works well for me!

ADIDAFish
02-06-2012, 01:05 PM
A t-shirt and jeans on Saturday! :)

Mike_W
02-06-2012, 01:20 PM
helly hanson 2 pc. suit.

love it!

X2 I have the helly hansens 2 pc parka and bib coveralls!!! I enjoy that more than the 1 pc suit as if it gets warm you can take off the parka and just wear the coveralls.

Of course its all about the base layers ......this is my prefference

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r23/Yukon_Jack/untitled.png

Kevin_Thunder
02-06-2012, 01:52 PM
I wear what I wear when I go skiing. A Descente ski jacket and snowpants. Underneath, I wear a bright green hoodie from MEC, great for blocking the wind and is highly visible, and depending on the weather, I'll have some sort of moisture wicking base layer and sweater layered underneath that. Underneath my snow pants, I'll usually have a thermal baselayer and sweatpants/jeans, depending on the weather. Bought a pair of Windriver boots the year before at Mark's Work Warehouse at boxing day. They're not as nice as some of the nice boots I've seen at Fishin' Hole, but since last year, my toes have never frozen, and water has never gotten in. At 50 bucks... it was a steal.

Of course its all about the base layers ......this is my prefference

Oh good god, my eyes burn with the fury of a thousand suns.

Speckle55
02-06-2012, 04:26 PM
I do dress warm but who cares i have a heater in my one man tent and it works so i dont need alot but green is not my color:sHa_shakeshout:

gilbertslake
02-06-2012, 04:41 PM

I wear Arctic Sport Muck boots so my feet stay warm and dry. Can drill lots of holes and not have to worry about water coming out of the holes.

I just picked up a new Frabill IceSuit From The Fishin Hole and tested it out this weekend. Absolutely love it. The bib pants are the bomb. Full leg zippers, a couple pockets and even fleece lined pockets up top to keep bare hands warm. The front zipper opens from the top or bottom so a quick potty break is easy for the boys. Padded knees and waterproof.

The jacket is just as great. Same fleece pockets and more zipper and velcro pockets that I need. Even has a spot for an Ipod. Theres a hood on it but it doesn't zip off. Not too heavy for a 3/4 length jacket.

No more cold back while bending down to land a fish. Overall its a great suit and I recommend it to all. I tought skiing for many years and had some really great uniforms and this ranks right up there. Well worth the $399.99

Get into The Fishin Hole to get yours while they still have stock. Here's a link to the suit, http://frabill.com/clothing/frabill-apparel/icesuit-5.html

I think men, typically over-dress. I think that women have a more sensible approach to appropriate garb for ice fishing..............below

Paul C
02-06-2012, 04:48 PM
I think men, typically over-dress. I think that women have a more sensible approach to appropriate garb for ice fishing..............below

Right On................................................ ........

biggamehunter
02-06-2012, 05:30 PM
heres my set up.

dodger
02-06-2012, 05:39 PM
2011 Nissan Titan with the temp set at a comfortable 22C.

Dodger.

HunterDave
02-06-2012, 05:54 PM
What kind of long johns does he have on? :confused:

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r23/Yukon_Jack/untitled.png

stvnda
02-06-2012, 08:34 PM
What kind of long johns does he have on? :confused:

They are known as hair chaps!

stompit
02-06-2012, 08:58 PM
Klim clothing is the number 1 selling snowmobile clothing for a reason! If you go to there website under sale items you may find old stock at a third of the cost. All of the Klim gear is gortex and I would put it up against any of the name brand fishing clothing.

Rob S
02-06-2012, 10:02 PM
heres my set up.

Your shore line looks familiar...like right where I fishes :-p
Here is my fashion statement from last weekend...A 15 Lb pike is a nice accesory!

Kim473
02-07-2012, 05:55 AM

Anyone notice what brand those ice augers were????

Did'nt think so.

Winter work snow suit, winter work snow boots, hoddie and long johns underneith. All rated for -45 or less. All that gets cold on me sitting for 3 hrs at - 15 is my hands from putting bait on the hook. If I start walking I start to sweat. Allmost too hot to walk behind the snowblower in low gear.

Tyangelo
02-07-2012, 10:40 AM
My Yukon hunting garb, and some Sorel -100 booties. Havnt been cold yet. Plus, I look like a tree. Fools all the whitetails out on the lake...

Tyangelo
02-07-2012, 10:43 AM
Anyone notice what brand those ice augers were?

pretty sure those are Strikemaster.

HunterDave
02-07-2012, 02:33 PM
Here is my fashion statement from last weekend...

I think that you and I shop in the same stores......lol!

BeeGuy
02-07-2012, 07:35 PM
flannel jacket, jeans, and running shoes

niceman
02-07-2012, 10:12 PM

I am all for the thong. Little too none. People, really people on a budget unlike yourself go for multi-layers of thongs. Keep the boys tight, all is good.

Nice

biggamehunter
02-08-2012, 12:00 AM
Your shore line looks familiar...like right where I fishes :-p
Here is my fashion statement from last weekend...A 15 Lb pike is a nice accesory!

Yup thats my grampas house in the backround there so i can go out whenever i want. Ive found a way to catch whites like crazy!

The DragonSlayer
02-08-2012, 07:28 AM
I wear a thong and furry slippers. It seems to attract the bigger fish.

The DragonSlayer
02-08-2012, 07:31 AM
helly hanson 2 pc. suit.

love it!

I imagine all the antifreeze in your system helps also.

Rob S
02-08-2012, 07:49 PM
Yup thats my grampas house in the backround there so i can go out whenever i want. Ive found a way to catch whites like crazy!

Dont tell anyone, but Ive still never caught a whitefish :-( Ive tried a little bit, and have drawn a few in but never caught one!:angry3:

Willowtrail
02-11-2012, 07:31 PM
Does it also float? and what does it weigh? I have a all-in-one insulated coveralls but would like to switch to something lighter.

It's not a flotation suit. Not sure on the weight but would say its what a normal jacket and ski pants would be. If you want to take a look at it before you buy give me a shout and you can come over.

I did a little research and you can buy them on Ebay for less once you know your size.