PDA

View Full Version : New to Alberta fishing

Miced
02-06-2012, 11:40 AM
G'Day All,

I will be moving to the Calgary area this spring from Eastern Ontario and want to learn about good places to go for pickerel, pike, bass, musky. I have heard that the fishing in AB is quite amazing if you know where to go. Any info will help as i have never fished out there yet.

Thanks

Fishtech1986
02-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Sorry dude. No Bass or Muskie in AB. Lots of good trout, pike and walleye fishing in the calgary area. Just search the forum for lakes and rivers in the Calgary area.

MoFugger21
02-06-2012, 12:04 PM
From another thread looking for similar info.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?p=1282601#post1282601

Not all within an hour (some are more) and all listed are south- just not familiar with any north of the city. Hope that gets you a start!

HunterDave
02-06-2012, 12:22 PM
They call the pickeral walleye out here.........don't get people goin' on that one! :lol:

I came here from Ontario as well. You've been spoiled in Ontario so don't expect the same great fishing opportunities out here. There are only about 600 lakes here province wide and allot of those are more trout ponds than lakes. With so few bodies of water the fishing pressure is very high. They aren't Canadian Shield lakes so don't expect to be able to see the fish 20 feet down on the bottom. The water is not as clear as out east and in the summer allot of the lakes are taken over by algae suspended in the water and blue/green algae develops along the shore. There are some really nice lakes without that problem but you may have to drive a bit to get to them.

The regs are allot different as well so you should have a look through them.....too much to get into. Glance through them to see what I mean.

There's world class fishing in the Bow River that runs right through Calgary and you can catch some really nice fish there. Very nice lakes/scenery about an hour from Calgary into the mountains as well. You're going to have to learn what a few species of trout look like because there are allot of different types of them out here that I never saw in Ontario.

The fishing is good here....great along the Bow River from what I've heard so you will enjoy yourself fishing. Hunting on the other hand is absolutely phenomenal! :sHa_shakeshout:

WayneChristie
02-06-2012, 07:15 PM
welcome to the forum and soon welcome to Gods country. Pickeral are in the same class as sasquatch, some people swear they have seen them, but only after a few :bad_boys_20: limit on both is the same, catch and release only. Just hope the sasquatch read the same regs, I hear if they keep you over the winter in one of their dens you wont want a real woman ever again. :scared0018:
Oh and bring a few buckets of bucketmouths with you, there are a few lakes that need topping up. :sHa_shakeshout:

Willowtrail
02-06-2012, 07:18 PM
Oh and bring a few buckets of bucketmouths with you, there are a few lakes that need topping up. :sHa_shakeshout:

Where's the "Like" button.

Thanks for the Laugh Wayne

Miced
02-10-2012, 03:16 PM
OMG!!!! Thanks for all the info. I totally get the being spoiled thing here in the east. I spent a few years in Edmonton in the mid to late 90's and didn't get much fishing in being new to the army thing and tours and stuff. So yeah, coming back to God's country and can't F*&kin' wait. :sHa_shakeshout:

Rumtan
02-10-2012, 04:03 PM
The bluegill and panfish are extinct here also......see if you can slip a few in the carry-on luggage

WayneChristie
02-10-2012, 05:15 PM
and for those Albertans who havent fished for them, Crappies really arent!

Walleye101
02-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Where about's from Ontario?