PDA

View Full Version : Lund 208 ProV GL

Rosaire1
02-06-2012, 04:37 PM
Some of the first boats out had problems with gelcoat cracks etc.. Does anyone have any info or comments on the newer Lund Fiberglass? What are your thoughts on quality, workmanship etc...

TROLLER
02-06-2012, 06:28 PM
I think when Lund went fibreglass they ruined a good boat. They are now just running on their reputation of old.

For what those crooks want for their boat you could buy the best and that would be a Ranger.

My feeling is to stay with a tried and ture welded boat.

EZM
02-07-2012, 01:37 PM
Lund is the only major brand that took the IPS2 deep V fishing boat technology and made it into glass - I heard they are great. Most glass fishing boats, at least the ones I know about, out there, are low profile like the ranger.

I think the Lund GL's are way more popular our east and in the US then out here. Alot guys like them and use them on the great lakes. Out here - With alot of shallow lakes and needing to beach your boat overnight when camping in many areas, I like the aluminum boats myself. No worries when it gets windy and choppy at night - nothing like having fiberglass grind all night thru your gelcoat.

The advantages of the glass boats (with a little more weight) are how they handle in chop or how well they pull a wakeboard or tube.

When getting a glass fishing boat - and seeing lower profiles like the ranger - I always wonder how they compare in the windy prairie chop. We have all been out there - smashing our way back to shore in our deep vee tinners with waves coming over the bow. I'd think, but maybe I'm wrong, the low profile boats, like a ranger, would be a awfully wet ruide back.

Really depends on how you use your boat.

Another consideration - it's very nice early or late in the year to be sitting down in a boat (as opposed to be being proped up high on a low profile deck) when the wind is cold and brisk.

208prov
02-07-2012, 01:52 PM
Guess i will find out how the new 208 does. It should be here in a month. Now to pimp it out. Only way to really comment is to own one. Used to own a 620 ranger, Alot of +++ and a couple of - -, Trying something different.

mike_samoil
02-07-2012, 03:06 PM
been out to calling when it was real rough in a glass ranger getting back from the north corner to the campground and it was a smooth flipped ride, and we were clippen. Then I've been on slave fishing walleye chop in a 17' aluminum and you get tossed around. If your a fairweather fisherman a belly boat will work but if the bites happens when that storm is rolling in id take the glass any day ( i don't fish in the lightning) I just mean you will get that extra half hour hour before when the tin boats head in your still catching

troyfitt
02-07-2012, 05:51 PM
as of next year I herd Triton will not be building the hulls for lund any more,oh ya and just to let you no my 621 Ranger runs 3ft waves at 35mph and im not getting soaked or bounced around,since i have got this boat I dont worrie about the wind any more and how far I run on the lake,I will prob never own a tin boat ever again