PDA

View Full Version : Island Lake

knifeman
02-07-2012, 10:20 AM
We were looking to go out their for a weekend, ive never been just wondering if any can tell me what the ice fishing is like?

perchie15
02-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Winter killed last year I think it was

Woody_16
02-07-2012, 01:56 PM
Winter killed last year I think it was

Is this the Island Lake beside Crowsnest Lake?

knifeman
02-07-2012, 02:08 PM
No the one by Athabasca.

The Fish King
02-07-2012, 02:32 PM
I havent been up there but a friend who has a cabin on the lake says whites and perch are fair. lots of hammer handles

fishunter
02-07-2012, 08:06 PM
I was out there a few weeks ago and only caught a few perch between 3 guys. Lots of jack and they are biting on maggots also. The whites are big but they don't bite at that lake for some reason. The lake gets netted every few years for whites. enjoy :sHa_shakeshout:

Kim473
02-08-2012, 05:53 AM
Where do you get on the lake and where is a good spot to start the hunt? Don't want your honey holes but just a starting spot. Any good size perch in there?

Kale 19
02-08-2012, 09:20 AM
Used to live on the lake and family had a cabin on it for 13 years. There is a boat launch within the summer village south that provides good access. From the hwy, drive to twp rd 674, once you pass twp 674 take your first right onto rr 240A, you'll see a big shop there and the road will bend north right away. Drive North a short way and take your second right on shank drive. Follow this rd and you'll see the launch on your right. Its usually the best access to the lake or one of the best anyway.
As far as fishing goes, you can expect small hammer handle pike and the odd perch. There is the odd good one but you seem to have to move around lots on that lake to catch any and there are lots of little ones. The whites are in there and very big but for some odd reason they will not bite a hook. In all the years we were there I never saw one pulled out of the lake on a hook just nets. Tough to say where to start as there are a lot of bays, nooks and crannies on that lake. Best bet is to start where you have seen others have been and stay mobile. The odd time we were lucky and got into a good bunch of them but it was rare considering how often we tried.
To be quite honest, unless you're dead set on island, I'd look elsewhere for quality perch fishing. From what I have been told, Island used to be an unreal perch lake 30-40 years ago but as long as I've known it, I'd say its only average at best based on my experiences.
Just my thoughts. Hope this helps. Good luck to you anyway and hope you find good fishing wherever you end up.

Kale

FisherGrrrl
02-08-2012, 11:22 AM
Was there a week ago and have the same story as everyone else. Saw a bunch of little perch in the first spot.. moved and saw no perch but caught a few hammerhandles and saw a white.. and that was the day. I hear rumors about that lake though so its not stopping me from going back again. The topography of the lake alone makes it fun when trying to find your honeyhole :)

Drewski Canuck
02-08-2012, 05:14 PM
Go up the highway to Ghost Lake. Tons of shrimp, perch are not huge size, but lots and some good. Some springs, so follow the trails.

Drewski

FisherGrrrl
02-08-2012, 05:21 PM
Oh! And be careful! I wish I took a picture but there was one spot where the lake got really narrow and there was a Van driving right by it.. so decided to check the area out and there was open water and a small snow drift. There was a small area maybe 2-3 meters long and 1 meter wide so it was hard to see until you got closer so make sure you got your eyes peeled... sometimes following other peoples tracks isnt the smartest thing...

Kim473
02-09-2012, 02:51 AM
Oh! And be careful! I wish I took a picture but there was one spot where the lake got really narrow and there was a Van driving right by it.. so decided to check the area out and there was open water and a small snow drift. There was a small area maybe 2-3 meters long and 1 meter wide so it was hard to see until you got closer so make sure you got your eyes peeled... sometimes following other peoples tracks isnt the smartest thing...

Good tip FisherGrrrl!

Monkey see Monkey do. Keep your eyes open allways. Same for on the hiway people, seen lots of game this winter. Allmost got me a moose a few weeks back. Standing right in the middle of the road. Good thing I had my brites on at the time as her color was the same as the road.