PDA

View Full Version : How come we're getting screwed

Don Andersen
02-08-2012, 10:09 AM
OK - I understand rec centers, swimming pools, soccer fields, hockey arenas, baseball diamonds and the like. If you are going to increase the population you should/must/could do all of the above.
But what about the fishermen. To date, I haven't seen Govt jump into the fishing fray and make a lot of "new" fisheries. Sure irrigation dams get used but what about the rest of us.

In fact it's going the wrong way.

Over the past 25 years both streams and lakes have been "lost" to fishermen. What is the Govt intending to do to replace them and further to provide more not less angling opportunities?

regards,

Don

C Taylor
02-08-2012, 10:25 AM
I've been wondering if maybe we are in a poor province that just can't afford the luxery of fishing. When talking to SRD the first thing out of thier mouths is that they don't have the budget. If you go to a fish & wildlife office it'll most likely be closed because they can't afford to stay open 5 days a week.
It looks like the goverment would sooner not have fish & game out there to worry about.You always hear how much Alberta's population has and will be growing but how much has SRD's budget grown?

Guitarplayingfish
02-08-2012, 11:06 AM
Alberta has the highest fisherman to water body ratio out of any of the provinces... That doesn't help either... I believe I read 300:1 or something along those lines.

cube
02-08-2012, 11:21 AM
Alberta has the highest fisherman to water body ratio out of any of the provinces... That doesn't help either... I believe I read 300:1 or something along those lines.

With all due respect, with fewer lakes to manage and police it should be much cheaper to fund facilities, enforcement and education. Lots of fishing licence money and taxes only having to go to a couple of lakes. But the PC party at the time decided to keep taxes low and close or privatize facilities instead. They also have always dramatically underfunded “Fish and Wildlife”. Whenever cuts came they were always first on the chopping block, and usually got the deepest whack.

icefever
02-08-2012, 01:57 PM
Maybe as fishermen and sportsmen we need to start being vocal, squeeky wheel gets the grease. I have seen examples where a small group has made a difference in the fishery by having studies done and lobbying the government for change. Is it turning into a case where we expect everything to be done for us, maybe we need to start doing somethings on our own if we care that much about it

Bigtoad
02-08-2012, 02:20 PM
Increase fishing license cost (maybe hunting too?)and then make sure it gets put back into SRD. There were just over 250,000 fishermen last year in Alberta. I would assume that is just based on the number of licenses sold. They're just over $20 for a license right? So put it up to $40 and that extra $20 (If put back into SRD) translates into $5,000,000. We could buy a few extra employees and officers for that couldn't we?

Of course, the gov't would end up doing a survey or study to see if we really need to increase the number of officers/workers and the survey alone would cost $10 million so maybe it isn't such a good idea after all.

Cheers.

Okotokian
02-08-2012, 02:32 PM
I must be missing something. I go to lots of lakes and streams and catch fish. What are your expectations?

If you think the government should spend money and guarantee that you can land 40 fish per day or get yourself that "lunker" that you can have mounted, I think there are more important things to spend tax dollars on.

Woody_16
02-08-2012, 02:35 PM
I must be missing something. I go to lots of lakes and streams and catch fish. What are your expectations?

If you think the government should spend money and guarantee that you can land 40 fish per day or get yourself that "lunker" that you can have mounted, I think there are more important things to spend tax dollars on.

I don't think that's what they mean.. this issue is this:

Over the past 25 years both streams and lakes have been "lost" to fishermen. What is the Govt intending to do to replace them and further to provide more not less angling opportunities?

Guitarplayingfish
02-08-2012, 02:37 PM
I don't think it's about the fishing, it is about the F&W enforcement and the way they handle alberta fisheries. There are very few F&W officers now a days, and not only does that mean a lot of poachers get away with their deeds, but it is up to the general public to play a huge part in enforcing the law. We need more conservation efforts, and places like ASRD need a hell of a lot more funding.

jrs
02-08-2012, 02:38 PM

Im simply concerned about the lack of monitoring on many lakes and streams. Surveys have been cut drastically since the 70's and 80's. When i look back at how many mountain lake assessments and how much research was completed then its almost hard to comprehend how little is done now.

Guitarplayingfish
02-08-2012, 02:43 PM
Im simply concerned about the lack of monitoring on many lakes and streams. Surveys have been cut drastically since the 70's and 80's. When i look back at how many mountain lake assessments and how much research was completed then its almost hard to comprehend how little is done now.

I agree 100%... More research.. more jobs... Most of the jobs I see now a days stem from oil companies. I love working with fish, but honestly I would much rather work towards conservation rather than for a company who just wants to get their hands on dirty money (oil and gas).

Freedom55
02-08-2012, 03:47 PM
I am not sure what you mean by "streams and lakes lost to us". Define this please.

Is it your opinion that the province should dig a bunch of pot holes, connect them with canals and create an artificial angling destination? Define your proposal for rectifcation.

You'd think that after reading the long argument on this forum last year about creating a quality fishery here in AB that you would have given up on this sow's ear. Plus, if the numbers Bigtoad quoted are to believed, then fewer than 6% of the population cares one way or the other. I'll bet there are more people living on welfare than 6%; people who cannot afford to pay attention much less spend $ on gear and travel.

And stop referring to "The Government" like it is some kind of omnipotent entity. It is just you and I and the rest of the mugs in this province, not some mystical miracle maker able to conjur up a new piece of the Cambrian shield and plunk it down close by your house.

As for the incessant bleating that more enforcement will improve the quality/numbers of the fish, you've missed Mr. Anderson's point.

Free

italk2u
02-08-2012, 03:48 PM
i recall a statscan survey a while back that pointed out that the number of anglers in canada is dropping by 2% per year since 1995.
Fewer anglers and a higher age group average is probably as good a reason as any for the province to cutback on fishing opportunities.
The median age of anglers in Alberta is 48 for men and 44 for women.
While registrations for hockey, soccer, baseball and rec centres soars, AFGA's membership has dwindled to something like 14,000.

Don Andersen
02-08-2012, 05:27 PM
Just a short list of what has been lost as fishing opportunity.

From south>north

1] Dipping Vat lake
2] The lower Oldman River
3] The lower Castle River
4] The lower Crowsnest River
5] Hartell Dam

Don

steelhead
02-08-2012, 05:54 PM
Dont forget the provincial campgrounds that they erased that were along many lakes and rivers.

There was one at the Sheep river and HWY 2 at one time. Just a dog walk park now.

And the one at the Scandia bridge on the Bow river. Just a field.

the list is huge.

Richest province in Canada. My big toe.

No more spreading the anglers out with camping oppourtunities. Force them all to one "for profit" campground on our vulnerable waters. Thattle help.

Keep in mind, if they pay for studies, those studies may and probably will be the death of many oilfield projects in this province. And who wants that?? lol

STEELHEAD

fish gunner
02-08-2012, 06:31 PM
Just a short list of what has been lost as fishing opportunity.

From south>north

1] Dipping Vat lake
2] The lower Oldman River
3] The lower Castle River
4] The lower Crowsnest River
5] Hartell Dam

Don

now to clarify ,you mean no longer contain fish or not accessible to anglers.

Bhflyfisher
02-08-2012, 07:05 PM
Maybe if people on online forums didnt blab to the world they caught 20 4lb cutties at Extraspecial Creek and exact directions to the exact holes, and the exact methods to use..... :scared0018:

WayneChristie
02-08-2012, 08:00 PM
now to clarify ,you mean no longer contain fish or not accessible to anglers.

Im not sure either, I fish the Lower Oldman

thumper
02-08-2012, 08:41 PM
I'd like to see more public access points. It's pretty tough finding access or launches to many of our lakes and rivers. I'd like to see the existing right-of-ways developed to waters edge, with parking areas and signage. Maybe a simple floating dock at some, that a kid could fish off of. Some states do a very good job of it.

fish gunner
02-08-2012, 10:05 PM
I'd like to see more public access points. It's pretty tough finding access or launches to many of our lakes and rivers. I'd like to see the existing right-of-ways developed to waters edge, with parking areas and signage. Maybe a simple floating dock at some, that a kid could fish off of. Some states do a very good job of it.

I feel the opposite,the only reason fish exist in many of our water ways is because of limited access or catch& release.

BeeGuy
02-08-2012, 10:58 PM
Maybe we need to annex part of BC or SK.

horsetrader
02-09-2012, 12:21 AM
I feel the opposite,the only reason fish exist in many of our water ways is because of limited access or catch& release.

LImiting access to a public resource is no way to manage it. The fish are not the only resource in a water way the water way its self is a resource that should be accessible to the public.

fish gunner
02-09-2012, 12:40 AM
LImiting access to a public resource is no way to manage it. The fish are not the only resource in a water way the water way its self is a resource that should be accessible to the public.

I have my own little scotsmans creek, the only reason exists as so is the fact that it is protected by private land. in years past this was not the case and by all accounts was a barren streach of river. there is free access for any that wish to hike the mile or so to gain access but folks are getting lazier as time goes by .I understand where your coming from I do not speak of making access harder,just not making it any easier..

Kim473
02-09-2012, 02:25 AM
I have my own little scotsmans creek, the only reason exists as so is the fact that it is protected by private land. in years past this was not the case and by all accounts was a barren streach of river. there is free access for any that wish to hike the mile or so to gain access but folks are getting lazier as time goes by .I understand where your coming from I do not speak of making access harder,just not making it any easier..

Bigger and better 4x4 s, Quads, snowmobiles, These have made all more access easier. After a year of travelling on the trails with these things, the trail becomes a road and a car can drive to them.

Close all lakes for fishing for two years and the quantity and quality will climb. Will also give F&W two years to do there studies.

I have been fishing about 20 times this year and only seen F&W once. Thats how few there is out there. Should have seen them at least 10 times out of the 20.

Outcast 1100
02-09-2012, 07:19 AM
there is only one solution to this matter. The Fresh Water Fisheries Society Of Alberta.

BeeGuy
02-09-2012, 07:43 AM
I would expect that Alberta spends more per water body than any other province in the country.

How much resources should we spend to artificially enhance our fisheries?

Wrt lost access, yes, this is a serious problem.

tallieho
02-09-2012, 07:47 AM
i have asked the question why many times about the loss of Dipping Vat lake.there has not been any stocking in DV for 3 yrs.There is apparantly a water/ land issue.If you can belive this statement from SRD.There was never a water lic. issued for this lake.The landowner wants millions in compensation for erosion .when i think back.Srd was at one time was going to make this a quality lake fishery.the vote went against making a qlf.After that happened the lake went on a tail spin into obilvion.our lakes & water resources need friends....Outcast we don't have an actvist of the stature of MR.CHAN...Who imo was given carte blanche to put there fisheries on the World Map...Fisheries monies staying in the fisheries was a huge accomplishment[not gen.rev.],A few other huge things in there favor ofcourse are the amt. of water bodies that they have compared to us...

Don Andersen
02-09-2012, 08:29 AM
WayneChristie,

I used to fish the Oldman & Castle north of PIncher and Cowley. Gotta do it with scuba gear now. The river is now under 200' of water. Tough to make a cast.
But its full of suckers.
Kinda like the mileage between the dam and the falls. Sucker heaven. Most of the trout are gone.
But I guess this is what Ken Kowlaski [the Govt Minster @ the time the dam was built] meant when he told the angling public "no net loss of the fishery". The silly **** counts suckers.

Don

horsetrader
02-09-2012, 08:59 AM

A creek or stream that has always had a limited access I have no problem with and hope you and the very few that will trudge to it will enjoy it for years. I do have a problem when public access to public waters are closed. Closing of a lake to fishing for a period of time to allow the fishery to replenish its self is sometimes necessary. But the closing of water way accesses to make it more inaccessible to the general public is not.

WayneChristie
02-09-2012, 05:51 PM
WayneChristie,

I used to fish the Oldman & Castle north of PIncher and Cowley. Gotta do it with scuba gear now. The river is now under 200' of water. Tough to make a cast.
But its full of suckers.
Kinda like the mileage between the dam and the falls. Sucker heaven. Most of the trout are gone.
But I guess this is what Ken Kowlaski [the Govt Minster @ the time the dam was built] meant when he told the angling public "no net loss of the fishery". The silly **** counts suckers.

Don

sorry I was thinking you meant the Lower Oldman, when you said the lower Oldman. I only fish the lower Oldman . Far as I remember the development permits were denied for the Oldman dam, but it was built anyways. but I tend to forget a lot nowadays

fish gunner
02-09-2012, 07:04 PM
it s my belief that all lake's and rivers in alberta are held as a public resource.and agree that it should be so. my issue stands with the constant expansion of road ways/cut lines, allowing some not all ways respectful folk easy access to some of our nicest waters.some good public access waters have the misfortune of looking like the garbage never gets changed and a general state of neglect.I understand some one always wants throw the picnic table in the lake they just never seen to take the time to pull it back out.

Rabdo
02-09-2012, 08:36 PM
OK - I understand rec centers, swimming pools, soccer fields, hockey arenas, baseball diamonds and the like. If you are going to increase the population you should/must/could do all of the above.
But what about the fishermen. To date, I haven't seen Govt jump into the fishing fray and make a lot of "new" fisheries. Sure irrigation dams get used but what about the rest of us.

In fact it's going the wrong way.

regards,

Don

Did you contact anyone in Government about this issue?? I doubt they read the forums.

yada
02-09-2012, 09:29 PM
Did you contact anyone in Government about this issue?? I doubt they read the forums.

i kind of agree...

when most people think of recreation they dont think of fishing. We should let the government know how many of us actually are actually out there and that we actually care about our fisheries.

horsetrader
02-09-2012, 09:51 PM
it s my belief that all lake's and rivers in alberta are held as a public resource.and agree that it should be so. my issue stands with the constant expansion of road ways/cut lines, allowing some not all ways respectful folk easy access to some of our nicest waters.some good public access waters have the misfortune of looking like the garbage never gets changed and a general state of neglect.I understand some one always wants throw the picnic table in the lake they just never seen to take the time to pull it back out.

Yes I agree there are some people that will never get the idea that a water way is a resource that needs to be looked after. They are the ones that should suffer and not the entire public by cutting off access. We are definitely on the same page. we want the same thing just look at it slightly different.

fish gunner
02-09-2012, 09:56 PM
Yes I agree there are some people that will never get the idea that a water way is a resource that needs to be looked after. They are the ones that should suffer and not the entire public by cutting off access. We are definitely on the same page. we want the same thing just look at it slightly different.

did we just agree on some thing that's a major issue, thats a first.

horsetrader
02-09-2012, 10:00 PM
did we just agree on some thing that's a major issue, thats a first.

Ya found it hard to believe myself ... lol

duffy4
02-10-2012, 09:22 AM
Just a few of the ADDITIONAL fishing opportunities in "recent years I can think of:

ELK CREEK POND, Dept. of highways was doing work on the trunk road and needing a large borrow pit to take gravel from. Someone in the habitat branch (we used to have one) requested they develope the borrow pit into a trout pond. It is stocked each year with rainbows and provides a "put and take fishery" that gets used by a lot of family fishing campers in the area.

BEAVER LAKE near Caroline. Was a reserviour with no sport fish and a no fishing regulation because it was supposed to be a "back up "water source for the Raven Brood Station. The brood station had some wells drilled for back up water and said Beaver lake did not have the water quality they would use in their facility. So some fisheries people in Rocky turnned it into an "quality trout fishery" and it has an airation systen on it to permote over wintering fish.

IRONSIDE POND, was a marginal trout stocked pond that was poor at over wintering fish. An airation system and a change in regulations has made it a good place to catch a big rainbow.

FIESTA LAKE , no fish in it, to an airated pond with special regulations and a good place to go to catch a big bow on a fly.

There are some others around but I think you get the idea that there has been new or improved fisheries developed by F&W in recent years. And they are looking at more possibilities.

Don Andersen
02-10-2012, 09:36 AM
Gee Thanx Duffer,

Elk Creek Ponds - I installed the only habitat structures [sun screening devices] ever placed into these ponds to prevent the trout getting sun scald.

Fiesta Lake - did the original work on both water depths & winter O2 levels.

Ironside Pond - did virtually all the work in getting parking area, lake access point, permitting, power installation and fund raising. Of course, that also includes silly meetings, winter 02 studies, lake depth levels and the like.

Beaver Lake - organized all the fish sampling done by anglers till last year when I realized I was wasting my time as SRD wasn't changing the regulations/stocking based on the data.

Now getting back to the issue. Gee, ya' think that the SRD doesn't realize that the population of Alberta has risen 30% in the last 10 years. The tiny little ponds above hardly cuts it to offset the angling opportunities lost under the Three Rivers DAM

Don

fishunter77
02-10-2012, 10:13 AM
I agree with Don.

Lakes that use to contain fish in the Northeast that don't anymore:
1. Upper Mann
2. Lower Mann
3. Bonnie Lake
4. Cache Lake
5. Hastings Lake

Thats just a few that had a fishery. Now the water levels are too low to put in a motorboat. How long will it take to these lakes to support anything. We lose more lakes every year so people hit the lakes that remain harder.

Long lake by Boyle has 200 boats on it every weekend in the summer. Many of the campgrounds are not worth going since the cutbacks yet everyone seems to be buying RVs.

It is time to let the government know that we need something done. I don't mind paying more for fishing and hunting licenses as long as it is for a good cause.

Faststeel
02-10-2012, 11:18 AM
Increase fishing license cost (maybe hunting too?)and then make sure it gets put back into SRD. There were just over 250,000 fishermen last year in Alberta. I would assume that is just based on the number of licenses sold. They're just over $20 for a license right? So put it up to $40 and that extra $20 (If put back into SRD) translates into $5,000,000. We could buy a few extra employees and officers for that couldn't we?

Of course, the gov't would end up doing a survey or study to see if we really need to increase the number of officers/workers and the survey alone would cost $10 million so maybe it isn't such a good idea after all.

Cheers.

Pretty sure that all monies go into the general revenue fund not directly to F&W

fish gunner
02-10-2012, 11:51 AM
well done DA. thank you for the hard work on the waters mentioned above.I have had the good fortune to fish both feista and beaver,fantastic little fisheries.how would one start a community group to take part in these types of activities. I live in olds and it would appear that no rod and gun, or outdoors man groups exist in my town.
I have discussed forming a anglers organization with my group of friends, they feel so dishearted by the pressure our waters face.there veiw increased access is not met by a responsible angling public.my veiw is more waters, less pressure per lake.I feel we need a group to get our voice, in the way the fishery progresses.I have inquired abought getting my 3 dug outs naturalized with pike, walleye and perch,reducing the need for constant stocking.the SRD fellow nearly laughed.why are attempts by a concerned citizen to help create a sustainable fishery over looked but bass pro gets to have trophy tank,an avenue not open to you and I.

duffy4
02-10-2012, 12:44 PM
Gee Thanx Duffer,

Elk Creek Ponds - I installed the only habitat structures [sun screening devices] ever placed into these ponds to prevent the trout getting sun scald.

Fiesta Lake - did the original work on both water depths & winter O2 levels.

Ironside Pond - did virtually all the work in getting parking area, lake access point, permitting, power installation and fund raising. Of course, that also includes silly meetings, winter 02 studies, lake depth levels and the like.

Beaver Lake - organized all the fish sampling done by anglers till last year when I realized I was wasting my time as SRD wasn't changing the regulations/stocking based on the data.

Now getting back to the issue. Gee, ya' think that the SRD doesn't realize that the population of Alberta has risen 30% in the last 10 years. The tiny little ponds above hardly cuts it to offset the angling opportunities lost under the Three Rivers DAM

Don

The three rivers damnation was surly a great loss to fish habitat and fishing opportunity. And some people should really be taken to task on the "promised no net loss" B.S. (the AF&GA for one)

From your original post..."To date, I haven't seen Govt jump into the fishing fray and make a lot of "new" fisheries. Sure irrigation dams get used but what about the rest of us."...
I thought you had forgotten about some of the lakes/ponds that HAVE become avalible through the help of people such as yourself and Alberta government employees who do want to provide more angling opportunities.

EAST PIT LAKE up near Wabamun is another that the local Fish and Game Association had a lot to do with. and

MUIR LAKE is another relatively "new fishery".

Unfortunately Alberta has been having an "people bloom" and the water bodies with fish in them has not grown to give them all a great fishing hole.

Anyone have any really good doable solutions?

Heron
02-10-2012, 01:17 PM

Ya regulations. Delayed retention. Here we go again.

Bhflyfisher
02-10-2012, 01:33 PM
The three rivers damnation was surly a great loss to fish habitat and fishing opportunity. And some people should really be taken to task on the "promised no net loss" B.S. (the AF&GA for one)

From your original post..."To date, I haven't seen Govt jump into the fishing fray and make a lot of "new" fisheries. Sure irrigation dams get used but what about the rest of us."...
I thought you had forgotten about some of the lakes/ponds that HAVE become avalible through the help of people such as yourself and Alberta government employees who do want to provide more angling opportunities.

EAST PIT LAKE up near Wabamun is another that the local Fish and Game Association had a lot to do with. and

MUIR LAKE is another relatively "new fishery".

Unfortunately Alberta has been having an "people bloom" and the water bodies with fish in them has not grown to give them all a great fishing hole.

East pit was really good up until a few years ago. For some reason its been on a complete downward spiral. Muir is only good because of the size restriction and closing. And while some people are frustrated wanting more fisheries, there are two groups of people vocalizing for new fisheries or aid with older fisheries. Some wanting more meat fisheries where they can catch their limit, and some wanting more quality fisheries like muir. It sure doesnt take a lot to change an old 5 limit put and take rainbow trout fishery into a quality lake with big fish if managed properly. Its been done before, and some people just dont realize continuing to limit out in the winter/summer doesn't do these lakes any justice at all.

Theres gotta be a 50/50 here.

Bigtoad
02-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Pretty sure that all monies go into the general revenue fund not directly to F&W

I know... that's what I'm saying. Increase the cost of fishing licenses and give the increased money directly back to SRD. Govt's budget line doesn't change but the SRD budget sure would.

As stated before, an increase in $20 for a license would be an increase of $5 million to SRD's budget. That's a lot of fundraising to raise that amount of cash.

I like it because those that use the product, pay for it. Taxpayers don't pay any more than they already do (which is very little). And when I fork over the extra dough, at least I know it's going to be used in the area I am paying for. It also ensures that as anglers in Alberta increases, that the budget for SRD should as well.

Cheers.

pipco
02-10-2012, 05:14 PM
I would expect that Alberta spends more per water body than any other province in the country.

Hmmm. What is your reasoning behind this?

If that is the case why do Saskatchewan and Manitoba seem to manage their fisheries much more efficiently with far less population (taxpayer dollars). In your opinion is it purely a management issue and not a dollars issue in Alberta?
I don't have the answers but am curious as to what greater minds than mine come up with.

stan

huntsfurfish
02-10-2012, 05:47 PM
Hmmm, what about the fishing downstream of the dam? Good fishing to Lethbridge.

Still able to fish the reservoir (and have). Hear tell of large Bulls in that water. Have also heard rumors there may be lakers in there. Intend to check that out this year.

WayneChristie
02-10-2012, 05:50 PM
Hmmm, what about the fishing downstream of the dam? Good fishing to Lethbridge.

good fishing all the way to the forks, but to some people if it isnt trout it aint fishing. their loss IMO

huntsfurfish
02-10-2012, 05:52 PM
Hey Wayne there is good fishing for trout down to Lethbridge, Oldman from Lethbridge to forks under fished:)

huntsfurfish
02-10-2012, 05:54 PM
I kinda like fishing for all species, but not all do. I do have my favourites though.

WayneChristie
02-10-2012, 06:07 PM
myself as well, trout are fine, but even a big sucker in heavy current can give an awesome fight. I fish for anything and have as much fun with a small perch as a huge sturgeon. I disagree with the governments stance on only stocking trout, we have other gamefish that need help as well.

FishingFrenzy
02-10-2012, 06:15 PM
myself as well, trout are fine, but even a big sucker in heavy current can give an awesome fight. I fish for anything and have as much fun with a small perch as a huge sturgeon. I disagree with the governments stance on only stocking trout, we have other gamefish that need help as well.

X2!
I'd rather catch a pike over a stocked rainbow any day of the week. If they are creating these ponds for families and kids to be able to fish...pike are easier to catch, and more fun.

Personally I dont see any point in stocking rainbows... they dont thrive like native fish in many waters, they taste like mud, they dont reproduce, they dont even look purty....

Whats the point????

Heck I'd rather see them stock perch in the trout ponds. Perch can survive damn near anywhere, they are easy to catch, they taste good, etc.

Yes they can stunt but I think with proper management of the fishery, you could get a perch lake that produces some nice ones as well...

JUST my opinion...

Flyfisher87
02-10-2012, 08:16 PM
[QUOTE=fish gunner;1296940]well done DA. thank you for the hard work on the waters mentioned above.

I too appreciate all the hard work you have done Don. My hat is off to you.

Bhflyfisher
02-10-2012, 09:31 PM
X2!
I'd rather catch a pike over a stocked rainbow any day of the week. If they are creating these ponds for families and kids to be able to fish...pike are easier to catch, and more fun.

Personally I dont see any point in stocking rainbows... they dont thrive like native fish in many waters, they taste like mud, they dont reproduce, they dont even look purty....

Whats the point????

Heck I'd rather see them stock perch in the trout ponds. Perch can survive damn near anywhere, they are easy to catch, they taste good, etc.

Yes they can stunt but I think with proper management of the fishery, you could get a perch lake that produces some nice ones as well...

JUST my opinion...

.... this makes me think you've never actually experienced anything outside of 45 minute drive from any major city.

huntsfurfish
02-10-2012, 09:42 PM
X2!

Whats the point????

JUST my opinion...

Serves a need, "Put and Take" fisheries. Hatcheries already established, relatively "cheap" and dont reproduce, somewhat easier to manage. Keeps many entertained and happy - that would be the point.:);)

Cal
02-11-2012, 10:52 AM
The same industries that destroy habitat and open up access to sensitive water leave very deep borrow pits all over the place. Some of those little ponds you see beside the oil roads are actualy very deep and some could probably support decent trout fisheries. I've fished a few ponds that have the same basic structure as borrow pit ponds, one north of Rimby allong the highway and one in the Alder flats area and they have provided decent fishing Although I dont believe for a moment that giving us put and take trout ponds makes up for the fisheries that get ruined it is better than nothing and takes some of the pressure off of the remaning fisheries.

Dale S
02-11-2012, 04:43 PM
Hey Wayne there is good fishing for trout down to Lethbridge, Oldman from Lethbridge to forks under fished:)

There is no good fishing there.