PDA

View Full Version : Old Bamboo Rod - What can I do with it??

FisherGrrrl
02-08-2012, 04:07 PM
My Aunt found me a bamboo rod she found at a junk removal job last summer and I have no idea what to do with it.

It says its an Ebisu, which I believe is a Japanese brand according to my research. From what I heard from word of mouth brands coming from Japan have less of a value then bamboo rods made from the USA. However, looking on ebay sites they range from $20-$1000.

Regardless, if its just a peice of junk maybe I can take it out to a stream and try it out but I don't know what weight of line to put on it. Or is it worth having someone fix it up?

Its got 5 pieces. One is a mid piece which connects to two tips and makes about a 9ft rod. The other piece looks like it would make a 6 ft spin rod (looking at the guides).. it also comes in a wooden box with sliding compartments.

So now.. what should I do with it :thinking-006:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b189/ambuler44/IMAG0101.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b189/ambuler44/IMAG0103.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b189/ambuler44/IMAG0104.jpg

Rumtan
02-08-2012, 04:11 PM
Use it....see if you like it. If its not up to your expectations I know a fly fisherman that would gladly take and use it. pm me if your interested.

flyguyd
02-08-2012, 04:15 PM
Doesnt look like it was ever used. I would do a little more research into its value before i used it. It could be worth good money especially if its mint. If not whip a fly around to your hearts content...lol

uplander
02-08-2012, 04:17 PM
use it for sure!!! if you want help with knowing what's what about the rod and what to put on it just visit a local fishing store if your in Calgary I highly recommend country pleasures fly shop they would be able to really help you out

densa44
02-08-2012, 04:25 PM
You got a fly rod with an extra tip and a spinning rod in a balsa wood box for $.99 you cant beat that. The snelled hooks were cool too, they had no eye. The ends were peanned and the leader whipped on to them.

My 40 ish daughter caught her first fish with one when she was 2. I got my first one nearly 50 years ago.

Lines didn't have weights then but letters HDH and the like. If you want to use it pick a light DT floating line (it has a slow action) and give it a whirl.

The flys that came with it all looked like bumble bees!

OttCan
02-08-2012, 04:28 PM
Call around and see if any of the local fly shops recognize it...maybe they could also tell you what it's worth.

Maybe I just watch too much storage wars though, lol

gl2
02-08-2012, 04:38 PM
i am gonna go out on a limb and say you have something very similar to this. i would probably still have it checked out before i used it.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-Japan-5-Piece-Bamboo-Fly-Fishing-Rod-Wood-Box-Case-/320840524680?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab395e388#ht_709wt_1258

usie33
02-08-2012, 04:48 PM
Thats a pretty sweet score, a fly shop would probably be your best bet. But if its not your cup o tea ive always wanted to get into bamboo rods so feel free to pm if your thinking of letting it go.

Lornce
02-08-2012, 04:52 PM
I collect quite a few bamboo fly rods and and fish with a lot of bamboo. Not a collectors item at all, they don't go for much. The actions is usually not great and they tend to be heavy an clunky. You can fish it or hang it on the wall and enjoy it. These where originally very low priced at the bottom end of the scale often sold in five and dimes rather than sporting goods.

FisherGrrrl
02-08-2012, 05:06 PM
You got a fly rod with an extra tip and a spinning rod in a balsa wood box for $.99 you cant beat that. The snelled hooks were cool too, they had no eye. The ends were peanned and the leader whipped on to them.

My 40 ish daughter caught her first fish with one when she was 2. I got my first one nearly 50 years ago.

Lines didn't have weights then but letters HDH and the like. If you want to use it pick a light DT floating line (it has a slow action) and give it a whirl.

The flys that came with it all looked like bumble bees!

Ok so I can try a double tapered floating line.. 5 wt??

I collect quite a few bamboo fly rods and and fish with a lot of bamboo. Not a collectors item at all, they don't go for much. The actions is usually not great and they tend to be heavy an clunky. You can fish it or hang it on the wall and enjoy it. These where originally very low priced at the bottom end of the scale often sold in five and dimes rather than sporting goods.

Thats what I was getting from a few of the sites. Im considering trying to toss a few flies around with it and see what its like and if not then I might just hang it or something. Ive never seen a bamboo rod until I was given this one so I don't have any knowledge to compare it to however it does feel a little stiffer and I know what you mean by clunky. If it feels heavier should I be using a heavier reel to find a balance.. then a lighter weight line?

italk2u
02-08-2012, 06:11 PM
you need to get hold of Don Andersen. he is on this forum from time to time. he is known as the "Lord of the Cane" Nobody in Alberta knows more about bamboo rods than Don.

Lornce
02-08-2012, 06:34 PM
Ok so I can try a double tapered floating line.. 5 wt??

Thats what I was getting from a few of the sites. Im considering trying to toss a few flies around with it and see what its like and if not then I might just hang it or something. Ive never seen a bamboo rod until I was given this one so I don't have any knowledge to compare it to however it does feel a little stiffer and I know what you mean by clunky. If it feels heavier should I be using a heavier reel to find a balance.. then a lighter weight line?

I would start with a 5 or even 6 wt and see what happens, bamboo was crafted to throw silk lines so it might take some experimenting. .

Lornce
02-08-2012, 06:38 PM
you need to get hold of Don Andersen. he is on this forum from time to time. he is known as the "Lord of the Cane" Nobody in Alberta knows more about bamboo rods than Don.

Don is a great guy, I've owned a few of his amazing rods. Really a great builder. He might suggest a line for his own rods as he knows the action of his. But it really you need to fool with it to find something that might work.

Here is don's site
http://bamboorods.ca/

gilbertslake
02-08-2012, 08:00 PM

A lot around in the 60's.
My friend's father was in the Merchant navy and brought back two back from a trip in 1965, I think they were from Japan. I got one from him. It came with two tips, one was stiffer than the other and it had two second sections, one of which had bigger guides. The handle reversed to make it a spinning rod. It came in a pine box with felt lining. I think I may have used it a couple times as it didn't feel right to me,heavy and it couldn't put out much of a line.
It is pretty much the same rod that I had.

DanJ
02-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Put a cheap 5 wt double taper on it and go fishing. Get as much enjoyment out of it as you can. As a collectible it's not worth a dang so go have some fun and see what it's like to fish with bamboo. Hint: it will be very soft and whippy and you'll need to slow your stroke right down. Forget casting over forty feet. It's fun, you'll have a good time.

Don Andersen
02-09-2012, 08:21 AM
FisherGrrrl,

The folks here got it bang on. A Japanese rod built in the 15 years after the war. Bought mine from a drug store for $3.00 w/o the fancy wood case. Dad wanted the one with the case and it was about $5.00.

As far as fishing the rod. Do it. I'd tend to start with a 6 or 7 weight line and go from there.

The only failures of this type of rod was near the ferrules. Flex the rod slightly to see if you get an movement. Is so, we'll deal with that.

Be aware though that as several have said. The rods were very cheaply built and weren't much as a fly rod. But do me a favor. Don't believe that all bamboo rods will feel the same based on this rod.

Think of it as driving a truck. If you drove one, did you drive them all? As far as local experts on bamboo rods @ the fly shops. Few of them left if any.

And a note to all those that think bamboo rods are expensive - the ones that are worth >$1500 were built by a very small group of people [ perhaps <10]. The rest of the bamboo rods built were Fords or equivalent.

regards,

Don

FisherGrrrl
02-09-2012, 08:47 AM
Awesome thanks for all the replies! I think I'm going to catch a fish with it then hang it on the wall. Who knows.. maybe this will open up a new door of fly fishing for me.

densa44
02-09-2012, 10:02 AM
The thread on all the eyes is not on very well and will drive you nuts as it comes off when you are fishing with it. I put head cement on all thread, I can see some is coming off now. This is no big deal.

When casting silk (that was all there was) it didn't have enough "backbone" for a roll cast, but if the line was still floating (you had to re-grease often) you could pick up fairly short casts and lay out the line.

A cheap fiberglass for me was an upgrade. The tip is fragile.

The new rods are sooo much better.

As a spinning rod it wasn't too bad. Nice to see my first one again. Thanks for the picture.