PDA

View Full Version : Stray Cats

BigBuck$
02-25-2008, 07:20 PM
What is the best way to rid my neighborhood of about 20 stray cats? Keep in mind I'm in town and the 22-250 is a bit loud :evilgrin: . I have contacted the town several times about the problem and I am sick of their no action aproach. These animals are a real nuisance ripping garbage bags open, spreading disease, and reproducing more stray cats. Anyone have some ideas?

TreeGuy
02-25-2008, 07:47 PM
Dude, your are gonna get a TON of PM's on this one. Good luck.

Tree

CaberTosser
02-25-2008, 07:50 PM
Sounds to me like you have an imbalance in nature there. Specifically a coyote shortage.

geezer55
02-25-2008, 09:00 PM
Skunk trap with some sardines as bait. The city gave me a trap a few years ago because we had a cat problem, everytime I caught a cat they came and picked up the trap and left an empty one, in two nights, a dozen cats, no more problem.
Or you could do like my step-father did, catch them and start the truck and gas them, he didn't have a cat problem either.

Kanonfodder
02-25-2008, 09:39 PM
I would seriously advise you to tread lightly here boys. I realize most these posts are tongue in cheek but there are cruelty laws to consider. Follow the rules closely and don't do anything dumb remember the outcry from the public about the dog dragging incident or the Camrose kids microwavn the cat? Last thing any of us want to see is a headline screaming "Hunter Charged with Cruelty to Animals " ...... just my 2 cents

BigBuck$
02-25-2008, 09:58 PM
I would seriously advise you to tread lightly here boys. I realize most these posts are tongue in cheek but there are cruelty laws to consider. Follow the rules closely and don't do anything dumb remember the outcry from the public about the dog dragging incident or the Camrose kids microwavn the cat? Last thing any of us want to see is a headline screaming "Hunter Charged with Cruelty to Animals " ...... just my 2 cents

I agree with you Kannonfodder, if I were to take action & shoot a cat with a pellet gun or bow someone might get p*ssed and then I'm the bad guy. The problem here is the a**hole that is likely to report me for doing something like that is probably the rightfull owner of the cat and has neglected his responsibility as a pet owner to take care of the stupid thing.

That was the entire point of this post, I am sick of having my garbage spead all over. I have a fence but it does nothing. Not sure what the solution to the problem is. There was an article a few months back in the Sylvan Lake newspaper where others in the community were complaining. Nothing has been done. As for trapping them, I have a buddy that lived in the cottage area last summer and he had a skunk under his shed for over a month before he could get a skunk trap from the Town so cats are just looked at as a small problem I guess.

The Rog Man
02-25-2008, 10:08 PM
I have a cat myself, but it never goes outside. Last summer i too had a whack of stray cats. I used the proper humane trap to catch them. I had no desire to harm them. My cat problem for the most part has disappeared.

TreeGuy
02-25-2008, 10:09 PM
BB$'s,

First: Make your garbage unavaliable to critters. That's like the number one rule of camping.

Second: Capture the buggers and wait for the lost poster to go up and collect the reward! Might be profitable. :evilgrin:

Tree

Jamie
02-25-2008, 10:57 PM
Problem solved.:wave:

Just follow the directions on the link
http://www.buckstix.com/CoehornMortarHunt.htm

My god.. Some people are bored

Jamie

ULTRAlite
02-25-2008, 11:07 PM
First: Make your garbage unavaliable to critters.

A garbage can would be a good start :) - based on my dads issues with stray cats in a small town, a resident fox population might help too...

catnthehat
02-26-2008, 05:51 AM
What is the best way to rid my neighborhood of about 20 stray cats? Keep in mind I'm in town and the 22-250 is a bit loud :evilgrin: . I have contacted the town several times about the problem and I am sick of their no action aproach. These animals are a real nuisance ripping garbage bags open, spreading disease, and reproducing more stray cats. Anyone have some ideas?

Well, first you import some wolves......!:lol:
Cat

pdfish
02-26-2008, 08:16 AM
I was originally gonna post a suggestion involving a conibear :innocent: , but I would use a humane trap and as soon as one of those buggers was in it, I'd bring it to the town hall and release it.

raised by wolves
02-26-2008, 08:17 AM
Can you discharge a paintball gun within your town limits? Works well and doesn't cause any long term injury to the animal.

Another option is a non-lethal boxtrap. About a 5 minute soaking with the garden hose will keep kitty from returning.

My lab does a good job of keeping cats out of the yard.

Remember, it's the owners that are the problem.

Mish
02-26-2008, 09:04 AM
Definitely be very careful on your tactics. As hunters and fishermen I think we are all more likely to have the world hate us :p

Anyway, this may be really obvious...but have you ever considered getting a dog? Neighborhood cats/stray cats used to love our house when all we had was a small dog. Crapping in our garden, ripping up garbage, and there was two braves ones who used to wait in hiding each day and when we came home with groceries or our hands full they would dart inside the house before we could drop everything and catch them. It was then an hour long game of hide and seek before we could get them out of the house. The worst was the tom cat that liked to mark our door. Anyway, we got a German Shepherd and haven't side hide nor hair of any cat in our yard for the like 5 years. News travels fast on the kitty grapevine.

davem
02-26-2008, 10:38 AM
you can always spread a can of tuna on the road, might take care of a few

Dave

Versatile
02-26-2008, 10:43 AM
Buy yourself a dog. We used to have a bad cat problem with a pond in the backyard and when we used barrel for garbage. Seems we always had problems in the front yard because the dogs were kept in the back. I just sat in the car one night with the dog and door open as soon as a cat came in I sent the dog. Doesnt take long before they figure out it isnt worth it.

sheephunter
02-26-2008, 10:52 AM
Your local Humane Society will be pleased to lend you some live traps and you can take the cats to them when you capture them. Legal, ethical and without hassle from the neighbours.

Damn, and here I thought this was a thread about the band......:innocent: Made me want to grow a mullet again...lol

Kanonfodder
02-26-2008, 03:31 PM
Wanting to grow a mullet is fine, but by the looks of it nature has other plans...:tongue2: :D

sheephunter
02-26-2008, 03:41 PM
Wanting to grow a mullet is fine, but by the looks of it nature has other plans...:tongue2: :D

You're confusing me with Rich...I'm the one with hair...lol....:tongue2:

Kanonfodder
02-26-2008, 03:55 PM
Really thats your real hair?????? :wave: :tongue2: Jk TJ

Alberta Bigbore
02-26-2008, 03:57 PM
What is the best way to rid my neighborhood of about 20 stray cats?

go pick up 20 big stray dogs, and release them in town:D

TheClash
02-26-2008, 04:18 PM
x2 for getting a dog....

Grizzly Adams
02-26-2008, 04:28 PM
Antifreeze. Oh, did I say that?:D
Grizz

packhuntr
02-26-2008, 05:38 PM
:lol: tuna....:lol: road:lol: !!!!!!!! Thats good stuff.

keep a strain on er.

mud slug
02-26-2008, 06:13 PM
next time you go fishing keep your limit. when you clean your fish take the guts over to your mayors house and hide them in his/hers trees shrubs ect. if they won't do anything about them at your place move them to his/hers. guarantee something gets done.

buckfever
02-26-2008, 06:49 PM
Antifreeze. Oh, did I say that?:D
Grizz

geeze your forgot to add dog/cat food recipe :innocent:

KyleM
02-26-2008, 06:51 PM
Uhhhhhhhh, how about keeping the garbage in a garbage can (with a lid):lol:

I remember hearing about that dog being dragged and the cat being nuked....I cant believe it happened out here though. I always wondered what sick twisted person would do something like that.

I say just wait until Canada Day weekend, no one will be able to tell with all the fireworks blasting.

This is the reason I dont let my ***** out of the house.

nightmagic
02-26-2008, 08:10 PM
hmm thought i seen it out the other nigiht after u feel asleep.............lol

Pinesole in the garbage ussaly will keep them away they donlt like the smell 1/2 cup in the bag

BUD
02-26-2008, 09:19 PM

I,m not a cat lover either , although l owned one for 19 years , she was special , but you might want to reconsider your thoughts if you have ever lived through a mouse invasion like l did back in 1949 , the hedge rows litteraly crawled with mice .
They got into every ones homes and died in the walls , the houses stunk for months , disease from thease things was real , they got into our beds, and into our food , they were everywhere.
Now l ask you , what do you prefer , CATS or THE MICE .
Cats have probably kept your town free of mice all the years , but take the cats away and the mice WILL PLAY , and l,m sure your women of the town won,t be happy campers .
Back in 49 we had to bring in cats to fight the epidemic , they got rid of the mice in a week.

richardslc
02-26-2008, 09:39 PM
Good post of the cannon Jamie. That would work good and looks like fun.... Trying to get it in the cans i mean.:lol:

BigBuck$
02-27-2008, 10:49 AM
No one else said it so here goes:

Chinesse Resteraunt? :sick: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mish
02-27-2008, 11:32 AM
Yeah, those damn Chinese... :rolleyes:

AbAngler
02-27-2008, 11:33 AM
Since you stated that the county is slow in getting live traps to you, Princess auto has them. My father inlaw bought one and they worked really well. Cheap from what I can remember.

Okotokian
02-27-2008, 02:26 PM
Put your garbage in cans like the rest of the world ;) LOL

Okotokian
02-27-2008, 02:27 PM
Yeah, those damn Chinese... :rolleyes:

ummm classy. :lol:

geezer55
02-27-2008, 08:38 PM
Get a snake . . .
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23364108/?GT1=10856

nekred
03-03-2008, 03:17 PM
Wifes bow with a bow fishing rig!.... Hours of fun!....

pep101
02-02-2010, 06:40 PM
Good post of the cannon Jamie. That would work good and looks like fun.... Trying to get it in the cans i mean.:lol:

cat problem eh.....put a small pile of manure in the corner of your yard ..cats come along role in it and head back home...not a pleasent smell in a house for the cat owner lol lol :)

doetracks
02-02-2010, 06:55 PM
Since you stated that the county is slow in getting live traps to you, Princess auto has them. My father inlaw bought one and they worked really well. Cheap from what I can remember.

Yup, they're cheap. I believe I saw them at Bass Pro and UFA as well. Pick one or two up, it's a good investment. Take the offenders to the local pound/SPCA or......

A cat or two isn't too bad if you have a mouse problem.. but too many is too many. They wiped out the quail pop'n on the farm, I went on cat patrol. Quail came back. They're death on birds.

ROAD HAMMER
02-02-2010, 06:56 PM
First you take a five gallon bucket put two notches in it to hold a 220 conibear. Then you nuke a little bacon and dump it in the bucket with the grease then your cat problem is over in a day or two:):lol::):lol:

ghostguy6
02-02-2010, 07:14 PM
I remember hearing about that dog being dragged and the cat being nuked....I cant believe it happened out here though. I always wondered what sick twisted person would do something like that.

I used to work with Charles, the guy that dragged the dog behind his truck. If it makes you feel any better he breched his probation and hes back behind bars. He really is a sick ****!:mad3:

I second the paintball maker. Cats hat the taste of paintballs, Especially the glow in the dark ones

The Rog Man
02-02-2010, 07:39 PM
The paintball rifle idea sounds good. especially if you store your paintballs in you deep freezer.
Otherwise i would get alot of red paintballs so the owner can have something to thing about when kitty returns home.
I would still be concerned as a paintball rifle is still sending a projectile and you know how the law is bout things like that?
just booby trap your your yard with really stink liquid stuff so kitty will smell great when he goes home???

Cooeylover
02-02-2010, 08:27 PM
Hypathetically speaking of course................

A wooden box that jsut fits a skunk trap,(so its not noticable to neighbours) and a tin of cheap cat food at the dollar store will work awsome. A good pellet gun to the top of the head drops them like a rock, or so im told. When you pick up a skunk trap with a cat in it, they go completly NUTS!!! (or so im told).
Sorry, i have no mercy on pets that are let out to roam at night in cities and towns. I still cant understand why some bring the dog in at night and let the cat out, makes no sence. :confused:
Once you get rid of the sh**-rat problem you will notice an increase in song birds in your neighbourhood, and who doesnt like to wake up to a small song bird chirping.:)

Ild PM ya with more things that ive heard tell of that works, but im sure your mail box is full now.

Good luck.:wave:

guywiththemule
02-02-2010, 08:30 PM
Get a J.R. terrior(spelling intentional). Got one 12 years ago, no more cat problem.

mtylerb
02-03-2010, 02:43 AM
... Ild PM ya with more things that ive heard tell of that works, but im sure your mail box is full now.

Good luck.:wave:

Probably not seeing as the OP started this thread almost 2 years ago. :p

Steven Noel
02-03-2010, 07:33 AM
you can always spread a can of tuna on the road, might take care of a few

Dave

BE HUMANE! Someone could get a flat tire.... :lol:

Fisherpeak
02-03-2010, 10:54 AM
Probably not seeing as the OP started this thread almost 2 years ago. :p

I wonder if the cats got him??:eek:

dgl1948
02-03-2010, 02:18 PM
Nothing worse than a tom marking his territory on your front step. We keep bees and have skunk problems from time to time. A couple of asprins mixed with a raw egg and they just go to sleep.

Rick65Cat
02-03-2010, 07:11 PM
I'm in Edmonton so it might be a bit different here. I went to the pound and rented a trap. $75 and you get it for 3 days. Return it after the 3 days and get your $75 back.
I caught 4 cats with no collars that would fight and yowl all friggen night around my house.

Nice and quiet now. :D

maxpower2506
02-07-2010, 09:01 AM
Being a responsible cat owner for most of my life i find it quite disturbing that some people would suggest some of the solutions they have. I have had at least one cat in the house for the last 45years, and I hope I am able to outlive my last one. But to suggest Anti freeze, or Tuna on the road GROW THE F#@K UP Blaming an animal that is doing what comes natural to them is like blaming forks for being fat!!!. KIND OF DISTURBING,

Rantastic
04-20-2010, 10:23 AM
Being a responsible cat owner for most of my life i find it quite disturbing that some people would suggest some of the solutions they have. I have had at least one cat in the house for the last 45years, and I hope I am able to outlive my last one. But to suggest Anti freeze, or Tuna on the road GROW THE F#@K UP Blaming an animal that is doing what comes natural to them is like blaming forks for being fat!!!. KIND OF DISTURBING,

Now i know this is an old thread but i just wanted to add to maxpower here that we blame animals for their behaviour all the time and we do it for humans too... So a cat should not be allowed to roam and terrorize the good citizens of a neighborhood anymroe than i should be allowed to come punch u in the mouth cuz i dont like the cut of your jib. Or another example... cougars, bears and wolves are just doing what they do when they attack humans but we have to put them down otherwise it would still be man VS animal everyday like back in the stone ages...

Rules are in place for a reason and cats are like any other pet that should not be allowed to roam free and do what they want... If cats dont have to follow rules then neither should the "antifreeze method" people. Its all about respect and consideration. Keep ur cat in the house or on a leash and the anitifreeze people wont have to leave their antifreeze out. Common sense no? One species is not above the laws of society or all of us should be. And we all know how that would turn out.