PDA

View Full Version : Looking at boats, where to buy.

Cal
02-11-2012, 10:01 AM
With a second little one on the way the canoe is going to be getting a bit crowded pretty soon so I've more or less decided that its time to get a boat. I want to use it for fishing Lesser Slave lake as well as the Lesser Slave and Athabasca rivers (opposite ends of the spectrum I know) and I wouldnt mind being able to truck top it when I'm pulling the travel trailer. I've pretty much decided that I want to get a plain jane 16' alluminum, probably either a Lund WC or a Naden, just wondering what dealer you guys would reccomend for such a purchase.

fishslayer420
02-11-2012, 10:22 AM
marine madness and sports in edmonton.....new n used.... fairly cheap

FishingFrenzy
02-11-2012, 10:54 AM
If you want to go on the Athabasca with it you will need an outboard jet. 30 or 40hp jet outboard should do it. Slap that on the back of a welded 16ft semi-v you would be set for anything.

16ft is pretty big to cartop, have you considered double towing? As long as your sticking to Alberta and you dont have a super long trailer, you should be able too...

Cal
02-11-2012, 11:01 AM
If you want to go on the Athabasca with it you will need an outboard jet. 30 or 40hp jet outboard should do it. Slap that on the back of a welded 16ft semi-v you would be set for anything.

16ft is pretty big to cartop, have you considered double towing? As long as your sticking to Alberta and you dont have a super long trailer, you should be able too...

I dont want to go with a jet, most of my use will not require it. The sections of river that I want to fish I am pretty familiar with and know I can use a regular outboard on them. If I cant use the outboard on a section I'll use the canoes. I thought one needed a 5th wheel to double haul. If I can do it with a bumper pull I'd try it but I dont want to buy another trailer. I know 16" is pretty big to put on a truck but I think I could build a rack/live roll/winch system that would make it fairly easy. Most of its use would be in the Lesser Slave Lake and River near my home so I want it geared mostly towards doing that.

FishingFrenzy
02-11-2012, 11:40 AM
I dont want to go with a jet, most of my use will not require it. The sections of river that I want to fish I am pretty familiar with and know I can use a regular outboard on them. If I cant use the outboard on a section I'll use the canoes. I thought one needed a 5th wheel to double haul. If I can do it with a bumper pull I'd try it but I dont want to buy another trailer. I know 16" is pretty big to put on a truck but I think I could build a rack/live roll/winch system that would make it fairly easy. Most of its use would be in the Lesser Slave Lake and River near my home so I want it geared mostly towards doing that.

Im not sure if you can with a bumper pull... I have a 5th wheel so im not sure about the rules for bumper pulls. Sorry!

Sounds like you have a plan as far as motors go. I suppose if you were you build a rack of some sort with a winch, it would be possible to do it.

Considering your only thinking a 16ft aluminum, If I were you I would look at some of the higher quality inflatables like Mercury, Zodiac, Zebec, etc. Would be a lot more portable, you can run them in shallower water than a aluminium-V, more stable than damn near any other boat...

Might be worth looking into!

Cal
02-11-2012, 12:04 PM
Im not sure if you can with a bumper pull... I have a 5th wheel so im not sure about the rules for bumper pulls. Sorry!

Sounds like you have a plan as far as motors go. I suppose if you were you build a rack of some sort with a winch, it would be possible to do it.

Considering your only thinking a 16ft aluminum, If I were you I would look at some of the higher quality inflatables like Mercury, Zodiac, Zebec, etc. Would be a lot more portable, you can run them in shallower water than a aluminium-V, more stable than damn near any other boat...

Might be worth looking into!

I had concidered going with an inflatable in the past but as I get older I like buying my outdoor gear just once. My grandfather and great unkle ran the same Springbok utility hulls their whole life and then willed the things to their children. With the way I use my stuff I dont think I could get that kind of service from an inflatible. Just to clarify I dont intend to cartop the boat all the time, just possibly on longer vacations where I dont want to tent it to places that I dont want to fish with my canoe, so maby once or twice a year.

TROLLER
02-11-2012, 04:15 PM

Fith wheel or travel trailor as long as you don't exceed 70ft. from the front truck bumper to the back trailer bumper you are good to go. It might even be 90ft. so you might want to look into that as well.

Willowtrail
02-11-2012, 04:50 PM
Fith wheel or travel trailor as long as you don't exceed 70ft. from the front truck bumper to the back trailer bumper you are good to go. It might even be 90ft. so you might want to look into that as well.

Needs to be a 5th wheel an Alberta and I believe it's 63' only. I sit just under that with a 26.5' 5er and 14' boat on an extended cab GM

Here's what I found.

TOWING NUMEROUS TRAILERS
• Two trailers can only be towed if the lead trailer is a fifth wheel trailer with at least
two axles in tandem.
• The length from the front of the towing vehicle to the rear of the last trailer can
not exceed 20 metres
• The hitch fastening the second trailer to the first trailer must be fastened to the
frame of the first trailer
• The longer trailer must be the first trailer

fishnfoo
02-11-2012, 06:51 PM
I have a 14 ft Naden laker with a 20 hp Yamaha and am very happy with it. It may be a bit too heavy to be a car/truck topper. The Naden Lakers are very wide and deep and I think that they would be a good choice for Lesser Slave.

Cal
02-11-2012, 08:34 PM
I have a 14 ft Naden laker with a 20 hp Yamaha and am very happy with it. It may be a bit too heavy to be a car/truck topper. The Naden Lakers are very wide and deep and I think that they would be a good choice for Lesser Slave.

Where did you get your Naden?

borchy
02-11-2012, 11:25 PM
Needs to be a 5th wheel an Alberta and I believe it's 63' only. I sit just under that with a 26.5' 5er and 14' boat on an extended cab GM

Here's what I found.

TOWING NUMEROUS TRAILERS
• Two trailers can only be towed if the lead trailer is a fifth wheel trailer with at least
two axles in tandem.
• The length from the front of the towing vehicle to the rear of the last trailer can
not exceed 20 metres
• The hitch fastening the second trailer to the first trailer must be fastened to the
frame of the first trailer
• The longer trailer must be the first trailer
Good correct info.

wbaj
02-12-2012, 02:53 PM
I bought a 14 foot Naden c/w a 25 HP Merc and just love it. The Naden is a well built boat, I see many of them used by flyin fishing destinations when looking at their pictures on the web. It may be too heavy to load as a car topper I think mine weighs about 250 lbs. I bought it from Europa Canapy and Marine in Edmonton. I needed to take it back to get a bearing replaced on the trailer as it was leaking, no questions were asked, they fixed it with no charge. I have fished LSL with it and feel very comfortable but am very watchful of the sky. Any black clouds in the area and I am off to shore. We got caught on that lake in a much larger boat once in a very bad storm. No fish is worth that experience again.
I think you would like this rig, but as mentioned before you need a 5th wheel to double trailer in Alberta.

Rumtan
02-12-2012, 03:19 PM
There is a boat and sportsmans show coming up in Edmonton, try making a trip there and see if anything suits your needs. March 15-18