PDA

View Full Version : ice warnings?

gprime27
02-11-2012, 09:24 PM
Anyone else hearing about these supposed ice warnings in southern Alberta? Maybe I'm just crazy but, I went through the headlines for the news, searched on google went through everything and cannot find anything.

I'm no expert but, I was standing on 8 - 12 inches of good solid ice today and probably could have gotten a small car on it?

Anyone?

hacman
02-11-2012, 09:47 PM
Haven't heard of any warnings. Haven't been out much this season but last weekend the ice was solid, Not thick, but solid. With no snow cover you can see how thick the ice is just from looking at the cracks. Shouldn't be any problems now with the cold nights recently. I'm not driving on though.

jrs
02-11-2012, 09:49 PM
I drove by CPR today and there's a fair bit of open water, and plenty of rotten ice around the north edge. Most of the lake was still good though. I was just out playing with the new camera after fishing a lake a bit north of there where the ice was solid at 11".

Wes_G
02-12-2012, 09:25 PM
Get kicked off of Nicholas Sheran this weekend?

They were talking about it on the radio on friday. Apparently the ice is unsafe according to the city. Even though its been well below 0 every night for the last week (-21 on friday night) I thought it was kind of ridiculous as well.......

Pikecrazed
02-12-2012, 09:28 PM
Saw one On Friday on CBC :angry3:

harrydude
02-12-2012, 10:22 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/story/2012/02/09/sk-thin-ice-dangers-120209.html

It was in Saskatchewan ...

Kokanee9
02-12-2012, 10:55 PM
I drove by CPR today and there's a fair bit of open water, and plenty of rotten ice around the north edge. Most of the lake was still good though. I was just out playing with the new camera after fishing a lake a bit north of there where the ice was solid at 11".

Sorry, not too sure of where you are talking about. Do you mean CVR or PCR, perhaps?

cujo1969
02-12-2012, 11:17 PM
CPR is north of coaldale.

gprime27
02-13-2012, 07:20 AM
Get kicked off of Nicholas Sheran this weekend?

They were talking about it on the radio on friday. Apparently the ice is unsafe according to the city. Even though its been well below 0 every night for the last week (-21 on friday night) I thought it was kind of ridiculous as well.......

I know the police and firedepartment that checked us. As soon as they seen us they left us alone

bpallen
02-13-2012, 08:35 AM
I understand road bans are on Southern Alberta

Kokanee9
02-13-2012, 11:38 AM
CPR is north of coaldale.

Thanks, north of Coaldale it is. I haven't heard of it and didn't know where he was talking about. My mistake.

jrs
02-13-2012, 12:04 PM
Thanks, north of Coaldale it is. I haven't heard of it and didn't know where he was talking about. My mistake.

Its not really a fishing lake anymore due to water level fluctuations. Mostly a place for bird hunters and going out to take pictures during the other times of year. I was still surprised to see the ice getting so bad so fast.