PDA

View Full Version : Moose lake (mt robson)

billycap
02-11-2012, 09:35 PM
Decided to give moose lake a try... arrived at around 10am... fumbled down the hill with all my stuff in arms to find around 8 ft powder waiting for me at the tracks.. after plowing my way to the lake i drilled a hole about 30ft from shore and was in 15-18ft of nice clear water... hooked up a small jig head n a orange power bait nug and sat in my chair soaking up more sun than i got all winter... made sure to stand up n do my best irish jig dance to all the passenger trains that went by..could just get the odd glimpse of smiling faces and lots o waving hands.... had a couple of folks yell from the road asking how it was going... and a few i never seen anyone ice fish there before... at the end of the day had landed 6 trout, no burbs, no kokanee.. seemed to me the best bites would come just as a train was passing... maybe it stirs up the bait fish

dont know why but all the rest of the pics failed to upload...

huntin'fool
02-12-2012, 09:46 AM
you have some really cool adventures! thanks for sharing. I've only ever been to moose in the summer

Son of Sniglett
02-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Solid day. I almost never see anybody fishing that lake.

A #6 red Spratley on a deep sink fly line could be deadly at that lake in the summer.

billycap
02-12-2012, 01:08 PM
Just a quick question which may seem stupid... am mostly a C&R fisherman and released all i caught yesterday but decided to do a bit of research on moose and saw it contains lake trout as well... when i was catching them i figured they were all bull trout but after looking at the forked tail of the one in the above pic is it possible that was a laker? Never fished lakers before so am just wondering if someone who has could help with an id

Thanks

Badgoodguy
02-12-2012, 01:39 PM
I might be wrong but i was always told that it contained Splake and kokanee, I lived and worked in Jasper for 14 years but never did fish there

McLeod
02-12-2012, 02:36 PM
Just a quick question which may seem stupid... am mostly a C&R fisherman and released all i caught yesterday but decided to do a bit of research on moose and saw it contains lake trout as well... when i was catching them i figured they were all bull trout but after looking at the forked tail of the one in the above pic is it possible that was a laker? Never fished lakers before so am just wondering if someone who has could help with an id

Thanks

Billy my friend ..those are Lakers..And next time cook one up and let me know how it tastes !

billycap
02-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Thanks man... guess i will keep a couple for a taste test.. but feel free to shoot me a pm if you would like to head out n try for some more... now i have to go back lol.. Every time i tried to fish lakers in the few lakes that have em around hinton i always heard they were in real deep water... If its one thing i can say about moose is the water is real cold.. The ice that forms on your line at the hole when pushed down below the surface didnt melt at all and the fish would put up little resistance (almost swimming in slow motion)

Thanks again for the ID help

billycap
03-08-2012, 07:54 PM
Headed back to moose lake today... got on the lake at 8am sharp. About 3-4 inches of slush on top of the ice. Drilled a couple holes in about 20-30ft of water. 4 hours later i had one fish on but lost it just below the ice. Around 2pm i was getting bummed so i decided to walk out far and try my luck in the abyss. Tried a hole and fished about 20 min still nothing. Then I remembered a good piece of advice i got from a member... Using my portable eagle fish finder (summer)i would stomp a hole in the slush then just hold it in the water of my boot hole scanning for fish. After about 30 tests i came to a spot that showed a lump that came up on the bottom from 70 fow to around 30 fow. Drilled a hole... dropped it down the abyss and bam! Started reeling.... half way up... gone. Then again and and again and again.. Im not joking i had atleast 15-20 fish on and they all spit the hook before i could get em up. I switched between a cold lake special and a white tube jig and they would chomp id pull.. start reeling and then gone. About 2 hours of me missing and missing i was getting mad so i tightened up the drag... about half way down i hook into something massive. I slam the hook in its mouth it takes off and my cheezy wallmart special snaps like a twig.. spools out the line and gone.. By now im throwing a complete hissy fit cause my spare rod is up in the truck... make the walk... over the tracks... up the big hill.. bust out the ugly stick from behind the seat... all the way back. Well since i just kissed a 20$ rod and a 5$ cold lake sp, I throw on a white tube jig and it makes it about 40ft and i get a nice bite.. set it... this ones actually coming up.. Finally landed it and it was decent for moose lake but im going back tomorrow to slam myself a beast. Not really adept in lake trout fishing as you can tell but i think my biggest problem was using stretchy mono (20 lbs) There is just too much rubber band action in 70 fow. Gonna strap on some no give kinda line tonight if i can find it.

Here is some pics of the medium sized one i actually landed..
including what he had for lunch after i clubbed him... who dosent like kokanee.. Im gonna eat him for supper now so if your not into keeping fish for grub then save your hate for someone that gives a crap!

Thank you and have a nice day :)

pickrel pat
03-08-2012, 08:16 PM
going to mcbride in a week..........ive always wondered about that lake. im gonna try it. i too have never seen a fisherman there. i drive by it alot as my daughter lives in mcbride.

billycap
03-08-2012, 08:37 PM
PM sent Pat

Jwood 456
03-08-2012, 08:42 PM
I have always been curious about the fishing at that lake as well. I have driven by that lake every summer so far since 2008 on the way to camping at Wells Gray Provincial Park and haven't seen anyone out there any of those times either. If I get the chance to, I should definitely give that lake a try.:sHa_shakeshout:

Thanks for sharing your fishing reports Billy.:)

Ps: 1000th post! :sHa_shakeshout:

billycap
03-08-2012, 09:01 PM
Well ive punched about a hundred holes (hand auger)in the lake this winter.. If you make it out before the ice melts PM me and ill point you in the right direction.

Speckle55
03-08-2012, 09:14 PM
:)Grats Billy nice laker you have the honey hole, what time you want me there/ i am coming tomorrow :sHa_shakeshout: awesome bud

hunter49
03-08-2012, 09:19 PM
Looks you were having a successful day but you might want to ditch the wire leader. No need for it when fishing lake trout. Also a no stretch braided line will help with hook sets in deeper water. Hope ya get that beast next time!

billycap
03-08-2012, 09:31 PM
Looks you were having a successful day but you might want to ditch the wire leader. No need for it when fishing lake trout. Also a no stretch braided line will help with hook sets in deeper water. Hope ya get that beast next time!

Thanks for the info hunter... i drummed up a roll of 35lbs gorilla tough "rope".. and some 18 or 20lbs spider for tommorow.. The only reason i threw a metal leader on is my Ugly stick only had 8lbs on it.. Thats why i used the other weak junker rod in the first place. Im digging deep as there isnt any line to buy here in Valemount since the outdoor shop closed down. But yes im open to all tips as im pretty much learning lakers as i go.. leader ditched

Thanks

Jwood 456
03-08-2012, 09:33 PM
Well ive punched about a hundred holes (hand auger)in the lake this winter.. If you make it out before the ice melts PM me and ill point you in the right direction.

Unfortunately, I probably won't be out there this year, but thanks for offering to give me some tips though.:)

Hope you can land that Denzie lake trout next time.:)

billycap
03-08-2012, 09:36 PM
:)Grats Billy nice laker you have the honey hole, what time you want me there/ i am coming tomorrow :sHa_shakeshout: awesome bud

Well you're the one thats gotta make the miles my friend so lets say 9am give or take? Or are you a be there at the crack of dawn kinda guy? Its only half hour drive for me and you may wanna get a full day in for your gas dollars so you decide.. Im good with super early too! It is after all a full moon tonight... Awwwwooooo

Jwood 456
03-08-2012, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the info hunter... i drummed up a roll of 35lbs gorilla tough "rope".. and some 18 or 20lbs spider for tommorow.. The only reason i threw a metal leader on is my Ugly stick only had 8lbs on it.. Thats why i used the other weak junker rod in the first place. Im digging deep as there isnt any line to buy here in Valemount since the outdoor shop closed down. But yes im open to all tips as im pretty much learning lakers as i go.. leader ditched

Thanks

Fluorocarbon leader may be a good bet if the fish are being picky. I have used flouro leader on my tip up for pike fishing and I find that the flouro has much better abrasion resistance than mono and especially much better abrasion resistance than braid. It also has the benefit of being hard for the fish to see.

Speckle55
03-08-2012, 10:16 PM
Billy i am leaving at 6am:)

billycap
03-08-2012, 10:19 PM
10-4 ill meet u there for 7 my time 8 your time

Speckle55
03-08-2012, 10:22 PM
K:)

Alberta Bigbore
03-08-2012, 10:27 PM
Nice fish, congrats!

billycap
03-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Well another day out and i took the dirty skunk today... Speckle hooked into 4 and landed and released 2. Always nice to meet another member and spend a day out on the slushy snow.. Good work man and i hope to see ya out there again sometime before the thaw is complete. We will get a monster out of moose yet!

Albertafisher
03-09-2012, 08:54 PM
Well another day out and i took the dirty skunk today... Speckle hooked into 4 and landed and released 2. Always nice to meet another member and spend a day out on the slushy snow.. Good work man and i hope to see ya out there again sometime before the thaw is complete. We will get a monster out of moose yet!

Those look like splake IMO :scared:

TyreeUM
03-09-2012, 08:56 PM
Those look like splake IMO :scared:

they look like lakers to me...tail is way to forked for splake.

Awesome job guys...that second one has a fat gut.

Speckle55
03-09-2012, 10:06 PM
Thanks Billycap had a blast, your time next time..no frieght train under the water today but next time you will get a 30 to 40 lber they are there.. i needed a day on the ice thanks again. i got that funeral tomorrow so i need this rejuv me:) love the name of park.. road trip 201248436

David

Hellraiser
03-09-2012, 10:41 PM
How thick was the ice?

Speckle55
03-09-2012, 10:49 PM
6 iches of slush white ice and 9 inches of blue ice Billy thought 12 inches of blue ice and 4 inches slush,, but it was a great day on the ice with a AO angler thanks Billycap

fishunter77
03-09-2012, 10:58 PM
Great pictures and beautiful scenery. Thanks!!

BeeGuy
03-10-2012, 12:46 AM
amazing

its about 6 hours from here. if it was under 3hrs id be there in the AM!

huntin'fool
03-12-2012, 09:31 AM
Good job guys, nice fish!

Another great trip!

billycap
03-13-2012, 02:11 PM
well i slipped out yesterday and managed a few nibbles before my feet were frozen due to the 6 inches of slush/water in the area now. Moose is a strange lake for sure. Ive never once saw a crack in the ice or even heard a slight pop or crack even on days of mixed weather. I walked out a hundred yards or past where David and i were fishing and drilled a hole when we were out last time... There was no flood water when i drilled the hole but when i went out yesterday the flood water had expanded to the entire area. The holes that we were fishing last week were covered with a skin of ice and when i removed it i measured only six inches of ice and water over my knee. Im thinking moose has a few weeks of fishing at least but i am considering the fact that any holes drilled will have a life span of maybe 48 hrs because it turns into a blow hole pushing up countless gallons of water destabilizing the entire area. Ive got a couple new spots to try that ive been looking at on google earth. They are a bit of a hike but they might actually have some structure which is very rare in the great abyss that is moose lake. Anyone else ever seen a large body of water that does not crack at all?

Next trip will be thur/fri if anyone is interested..

Tight lines

rmillsfishing
03-13-2012, 10:15 PM
where is this lake ?

Speckle55
03-13-2012, 10:18 PM
45 minutes west of Jasper on Yellowhead hi-way #16:)
hope that helps then google earth it if you want to see:)
David

Kevin_Thunder
03-13-2012, 10:26 PM
where is this lake ?

Its over in BC, right here (http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=wEM&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1029&bih=986&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&q=moose+lake+british+columbia&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x5383135a1534dcb9:0x8ec4250887b71033,Moose+ Lake&gl=ca&ei=yB1gT9i8LsHu0gHsqMyjBw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCoQ8gEwAA).

Erik
03-13-2012, 10:33 PM
I always thought Moose lake was one of those lakes with higher mercury content. I haven't read the B.C. regs in half a dozen years so I could be off, but you might want to check if there is a mercury advisory for that lake.

Kevin_Thunder
03-13-2012, 10:52 PM
I always thought Moose lake was one of those lakes with higher mercury content. I haven't read the B.C. regs in half a dozen years so I could be off, but you might want to check if there is a mercury advisory for that lake.

I think that's the Moose Lake near cold lake. There is an advisory out there.

Speckle55
03-13-2012, 11:00 PM
Billycap if you don,t have any others AO members for Thursday or Friday just post i will come if you needa partner i enjoyed your guide trip:) Thanks again

David

Jbone
03-13-2012, 11:07 PM
I was looking at google and I can't seem to find any road that gets you over to the lake, not sure if I'm looking at the right one, is the link posted earlier right?

billycap
03-13-2012, 11:44 PM
havent seen much about mercury... however in the 80's lead from leaded fuel was a problem which has gone down considerably since the outlaw of leaded gas and heres the kicker... pcbs and moly are higher in the lake(still within safe human consumption limits) They think it could have been an old spill or/and due to the fact that asian countrys still use it and its riding the air currents and sticking to our glaciers.. The short and curlys of it... Dont eat burbot livers.. from moose or anywhere for that matter.

the short read : http://research.rem.sfu.ca/frap/aquae.pdf

the long read : http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfd/library/ffip/BCMoE1997_A.pdf

Pretty sad when even our most high alpine beauty lakes are showing signs of contamination but thats another thread.

billycap
03-13-2012, 11:49 PM
I was looking at google and I can't seem to find any road that gets you over to the lake, not sure if I'm looking at the right one, is the link posted earlier right?

Jbone drive down hwy 16 from edmonton to jasper and keep going past jasper the lake is on the left hand side of the hiway

billycap
03-13-2012, 11:50 PM
Billycap if you don,t have any others AO members for Thursday or Friday just post i will come if you needa partner i enjoyed your guide trip:) Thanks again

David

David ill let ya know the night before, Your always welcome to come along!
Have a look at google earth and tell me if you think this could be some structure worth trying

Fisher_man#1
03-14-2012, 03:02 PM
Fish moose lake in summer once or twice by some of the creeks, always managed to catch a few small trout and kokanee.

You should try and find that plane that crashed into the lake 2 years ago that will be some nice structure. lol something like 300 feet of water they pulled the bodies out of.:scared:

cheers,

fishman
03-14-2012, 04:34 PM
Easy to catch lakers when the ice goes out right beside the boat launch to the left by the weeds and also if you get there before middle of june have caught kokanee across the lake by the waterwall, also took the zodiac up the fraser river and fished the river hooked lots of bulls but never landed any as the sticks really suck and i think the fish are big off the sonar they are.

MartyM
03-14-2012, 04:58 PM
I've been by Moose lake many times on my way sledding in Vale or Mcbride and this winter has been the first time that I have seen anyone fishing on the lake. Always have been curious what kinds of fish were in there. Nice fish and happy fishing.

billycap
03-14-2012, 08:46 PM
Easy to catch lakers when the ice goes out right beside the boat launch to the left by the weeds and also if you get there before middle of june have caught kokanee across the lake by the waterwall, also took the zodiac up the fraser river and fished the river hooked lots of bulls but never landed any as the sticks really suck and i think the fish are big off the sonar they are.

yeah im looking to find the kokanee cause thats where the lakers will be.. Did you ever catch any kokanee of any size?

fishman
03-14-2012, 10:13 PM
nope 12 inchers and the laker nothing bigger then maybe 25 or 26 inchs, but i do know a secret if you want to pm me......you can tell dave if he is intrested.....

Speckle55
03-14-2012, 10:38 PM
here is a couple from May 2011 :)
David

billycap
03-14-2012, 10:50 PM
Thinking friday morning David... might even get a bit of sun for a change out there.. let me know if your up for it.

Speckle55
03-14-2012, 11:01 PM
Thinking friday morning David... might even get a bit of sun for a change out there.. let me know if your up for it.

Can,t make Friday(Grizz Info Meeting) and Sat/Sun i am at the Edmonton Sportsman show
.. next time Billycap no bite on here?
David

billycap
03-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Well decided to try the CN Camp Access to the lake today... Deep snow..
Not too much slush (flood water) on that side... Managed to land 2 lakers and one whitefish. Tried many different depths with no bites and finally found them hiding in about 20 FOW. Had lost a few bringing them up and one i kept cause he got wrapped up in the line just below the ice and was bleeding from the gills badly when i got him landed. Any day with action is a good day!

Speckle55
03-18-2012, 09:16 PM
Grats Billycap. looks like you had another nice day .. you not working yet i am open Tues or Wed if your going.. did the Edmonton Sportsman Show on Sat had a good time:) ..

David

billycap
03-18-2012, 09:25 PM
Ill know my work situation tomorrow... gotta take a day off.. the sun today felt so nice i sat facing it all day and now my face is fire engine red. Ill let ya know!

Moose is gonna be good for another month.. 16 inches of ice and 2 feet of powder on top is keeping it nice n frosty

BeeGuy
03-18-2012, 09:31 PM
Lake white or mountain white?

Any size to it?

Looks like you've got a great spot there, thanks for posting.

billycap
03-18-2012, 09:39 PM
Mountain White... maybe 10inch.. I was fishing a small jig with powerbait nug and he kept nibbling and i kept giving a might jerk thinking it was a laker..Finally i got fed up and dropped down a tiny apple seed and hooked em. When fishing close to shore there is a lot of little white fish hanging out... The biggest ive seen when sight fishing in a shack was prob 12-14 inch. Too many bones n not enough meat for me... Would like to know where the burbs are hanging out... havent caught one yet

pickrel pat
03-18-2012, 09:42 PM
I seen you fishing today i think....... you drive the white ranger or the white f 150? was gonna walk out but thought best not in my shoes....:)

billycap
03-18-2012, 09:56 PM
Yeah that was me... white ranger w/topper parked sideways across the CN road... Dont think ill go back to that spot again without snow shoes... its waist deep snow by the tracks n well over the knee on the lake. Good call on not venturing down in your town foot wear!

SonnyJ
03-18-2012, 09:57 PM
So if an Albertan wants to fish there where can we get a BC licence (mount Robson maybe?) and how much $ please.:)

billycap
03-18-2012, 10:02 PM
So if an Albertan wants to fish there where can we get a BC licence (mount Robson maybe?) and how much $ please.:)

best bet is to buy one online...think mine (alberta resident)was 40ish bucks.. they expire at the end of the month so id wait till the 1st of apr.

SonnyJ
03-18-2012, 10:11 PM
best bet is to buy one online...think mine (alberta resident)was 40ish bucks.. they expire at the end of the month so id wait till the 1st of apr.

Thanks....I drove past that lake many times over the years and I always wanted to fish it.

This may be the year...:)

BGSH
03-18-2012, 10:41 PM
Good job, looks like a blast.

Nickote316
03-19-2012, 10:44 AM

Last time I checked online it was 55 bucks for non resident

curtis_rak
03-19-2012, 11:56 AM
$55 for a full year, $36 for 8-days non resident.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/licences/#Basic

thumper
03-19-2012, 12:44 PM
With taxes - $61.60 for a non-resident annual B.C. license.

(conversely, it only costs a B.C. resident $26.94 for an annual Alberta license)

jacenbeers
03-19-2012, 06:05 PM
I always get my one year license for BC because I am there so much. This year I drove from Calgary to Northern BC 3 times. Each time I drove past Moose Lake and considered stopping and casting from shore. If I had known that there were lakers in there I probably would have stopped. I am definitely going to hit it in the Summer.

billycap
03-19-2012, 06:49 PM
Just finished smoking my first laker grandma Gutz style

1 liter warm water
just under a 1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
just over 1/2 cup corn syrup
1 tbs crushed garlic
2 tbs onion powder
30ml artificial maple extract

soak in brine about 12 hours
rinse in cold water and pat dry with paper towel
let stand/dry on counter for 1 hour
2 pans of chips in little chief smoker
glaze with honey
bake @ 275 F for 40-50min in oven

result
smoked/candied fish thats more addictive than Heroin

BeeGuy
03-19-2012, 09:50 PM
I'm literally salivating.

Wish I could go up there but it's got to be a 5 hr drive+.

Speckle55
03-19-2012, 11:08 PM
Wow that looks soooooooooooooooo goooooooood mmmmmmmmmmmmmm:sHa_shakeshout:

David

Speckle55
03-20-2012, 04:51 PM
Hey Billycap.... yep i am on for tommorrow and have a pair of bearpaw snowshoes ,,,so meet you where and time .. Your Bud :).. David

billycap
03-20-2012, 07:32 PM
same time same place? Have a look to see if the boat launch area is plowed out on your way by. Got a heads up from a local where the burbs may be hiding but that depends on safe parking.

Speckle55
03-20-2012, 10:12 PM
K
:)

billycap
03-21-2012, 07:35 PM
Headed out to moose today with David for one of my last hard water trips of the season... lots of sun... honks... and one guy whistling down to see how the fishing was while i was practicing fishing with my eyes closed... I managed 2 in 26 fow and Dave banged one from the deeps from an existing hole from our last trip out.. Lots of slush/water around the old holes... Here is a few pics of Davids swimming comfortably above the ice.

At this rate of sun intake i should have my leather face before open water season!

Good times Speckle!

Speckle55
03-21-2012, 08:03 PM
Thanks again Billycap had a blast .. what a nice day Wow:sHa_shakeshout:

here is a mouth one from today and your release

huntin'fool
03-21-2012, 08:03 PM
nice nice nice!~!! Look at the flood water, yikes! Bring on open water, can't wait!!!

Sloughsharkjigger
03-21-2012, 08:04 PM
That almost looks like open water fishen.....:) thanks for sharing.

BeeGuy
03-21-2012, 11:16 PM
Love this thread! sure beats spray.

How is the wind on the lake?

Speckle55
03-21-2012, 11:26 PM
wind was ok ..little sperts .. the flood ice was about 4 inches but that hole was a blow out as we had opened aweek earlier.. it was a ice live well ..lmao:)

no under water frieght train today:shark:

next time:thinking-006:

David

Bigwoodsman
05-11-2012, 02:23 PM
This thread is awesome, I have driven past that lake for years, and only ever seen a few boats out there. Plan to go by later in August and again in early September, going to have to try from the road for a bit. Next winter will have to make a weekend out of it. I live in Edmonton, so if anyone wants to tag along for a weekend of ice fishing next winter, we should hook up.

BW

Hellraiser
05-11-2012, 03:35 PM
Anyone know if the ice is off yet?

Dog_River
12-24-2012, 08:44 AM
I drove by three days ago and she was looking pretty frozen except for a few soft looking spots. It's -20 here is Tete Juane Cache this morning so my guess is that it will be pretty tight. I watched this thread last year and hope we can keep er going and maybe meet a few guy's from the board.

Merry Xmas to all !

Dog_River

jacenbeers
12-24-2012, 09:03 AM
I shore fished Moose Lake on the way back from hunting up in Vanderhoof and hooked into a nice laker that I would have kept if I wasn't so far from home. I would love to hit the ice up there.

billycap
02-13-2013, 08:23 AM
Glad to see people are interested in this thread!
Unfortunately ive been around edmonton helping out my friend who lost his eye for the last 5 weeks so yesterday was only my second outing to moose this winter.

Ice Report: 2 inches of snow on a 1 inch crust followed by 4 inches of slush. The ice thickness is between 4-15inches and as usual there are a million spring holes to walk around.

Went fishing with a couple guys from the Bc ice shanty yesterday. I managed 6 lakers... 3 over 50cm. Kept one that was my PB for moose :)

Here is a couple videos i took with my new gopro that santa brought me.
They are totally unedited but short so my apologies in advance for any unnecessary mug shots or anything else that might offend the trolls.

http://s864.beta.photobucket.com/user/billycap4u/media/014.mp4.html
http://s864.beta.photobucket.com/user/billycap4u/media/013.mp4.html
http://s864.beta.photobucket.com/user/billycap4u/media/009.mp4.html

Am heading back to edmonton for my buddies 3rd eyes surgery on friday, should be home Wednesday next week. Am planning on many moose trips and maybe a few all nighters in the near future so ill try and keep you posted on conditions and production.

Good Luck out there!

montec
02-13-2013, 09:58 AM
this lake is in bc ???

billycap
02-13-2013, 12:01 PM
Yes, In BC just past jasper on the side of hwy16

Speckle55
02-13-2013, 03:17 PM
Hey billycap .. nice fish bud .. Grats .. might come down again getting tired of Lake Whites .. so keep me posted on your buddys eye and when your going again.. got to love those Lakers

Thanks for sharing

your friend

David:)

montec
02-13-2013, 06:25 PM
Yes, In BC just past jasper on the side of hwy16so at 46seconds on your first video when i pause it i see that the hook you are using has a treble attached to it hhhmmmmmm !!!!!!!!!!

billycap
02-13-2013, 07:17 PM
so at 46seconds on your first video when i pause it i see that the hook you are using has a treble attached to it hhhmmmmmm !!!!!!!!!!

Yeah and?

billycap
03-14-2013, 03:01 PM
Update: Large amounts blowing snow have covered up the weak ice spots..Becareful out there! Yesterday i brought the shack... never used it... today i went with no shack...snowing and blowing bigtime! Fishing was good both days.. Im guessing 2-3 weeks left in the right spots.

Good luck

billycap
04-04-2013, 12:22 AM
Managed to hit moose up quite a few times before the heat wave hit... This might be the last report as the ice is too sketchy for solo adventures.. The fishing has been hit or miss lately with more misses than hits. The lakers are not in their usual places as ive been from the boat launch to red pass looking for them. Im guessing they have gone into deeper water and i cant seem to find them this time of year other than the odd marauder.

Good luck out there!

billycap
04-04-2013, 12:51 AM
I did manage to get to thunder falls a couple times. I spent more time taking vids with the gopro black and now i cant seem to upload mp4s but i did take some snapshots of the videos.... Heres how i did it... 2 threaded 6 foot chimney sweeping poles.. The extra gopro mount taped, iron wire, more tape to the end of one of the poles.. on the opposite end of the 2nd pole i made a big fat ball of tape.. then drilled a hole about the size of the pole in a big stainless salad bowl. Now with the camera on one end you put the salad bowl on then thread the two poles together... what you end up with.. a para scope! (as u can see we are very limited in what supplies we can buy in valemount lol)I also drilled my way up to the actual inlet of thunder creek and stuffed the camera under the ice... some very amazing footage! Lots of rocky mountain whites down there. Also look at the difference in water quality from the lake to the creek.

sorry the snap shots didnt turn out great

Enjoy

mikebossy
04-04-2013, 04:07 PM
Hey BC, noticed you're using an lcd, not a flasher, to find the fish on ice, obviously it worked, wondering, did you see the fish come in before they hit the jigs?

billycap
04-04-2013, 07:53 PM
I used a cheap ancient eagle fish finder last winter to get an idea of depth and bottom structure.. It would not mark fish unless they were within 30ft. A buddy from mcbride came out this winter with his newer unit and he would see them coming to take the jig. He said he could also see the schools of kokanne. Id love to find them in the deep water but they seem vanish for the most part around mid march...

Ive prob put 200+ hours of ice time in the last 2 seasons out at moose... Honestly it was mostly trial n error the old school way. Drilled easy 150+ holes (8" hand auger)out there this winter and about 135 of them sucked.

If i have good year at work im getting a flasher thats for sure... take some of guesswork out of it!

Speckle55
04-05-2013, 03:20 PM
billcap.. i did make it out with my boy and a few of his buddys .. i got a 23 incher and one of guys got 3 lakers ..2 under and 1 over 20 inches also 1 guy got 4 Rockies under 14 inches .. had a great trip but a little hairy coming home .. have to catch you next year .. i was off here for abit so i couldn,t post u

David :)

billycap
04-05-2013, 03:50 PM
Happens to the best of us Dave!
Did you catch any fish with some sort of parasites on them this year?
I didnt see very many @ the start of ice season but coming into the end i got a few that were covered... almost all came from the around the red pass side. Ill attach a pic.

So David if your feeling the itch anytime soon the rivers are all open here and some are producing some nice trout while others are loaded with Rockies... and by loaded i mean i caught like 47/48 in an afternoon with a 6 cast 6 fish in a row PB

Know of any body with diving gear that wants to fill their tackle boxes? Lol went down to reargard (monday) just below the falls and stuck my gopro on a pole down at the base and around the undercut banks.. The water is low clear and slow right now and there is many many many hooks down there for the right person with the right gear.

Stay cool Dave

Speckle55
04-05-2013, 04:22 PM
hey Ryan i didn,t see any on our fish there but had some on the Lake Whitefish at Gregg Lake usually ones under 1 1/2 lbs .. yes to coming down to do some Trout fishing mainly Bulls but how big do the Rockies go any 20 inches have you seen or hear of.. the Rainbows are about 1 # to 2 most? i will have to see when i can come and post you.. need to get my new licenses too!!

David:)

billycap
04-05-2013, 05:57 PM
Most of the rockies i caught were well under 10 inches I did mange one 12ish that came complete with miniature hump back. Ill post a pic of the average i was catching. Im thinking snare/atha is the closest place ive seen a rocky that big with my own eyes. Ive caught big lakers that were covered in the last few weeks at moose.. i could be totally wrong but im thinking that they are staying in the deepest water they can find to avoid these parasites this time of year... The few times i tried really deep the fish were all perfect. Anyway heres a couple pics of the canoe on wed and the NT yesterday... I didnt see a single fish at reargard on the cam and got skunked behind the scales a couple weeks ago but ive heard that some bulls being caught further down the line. Honestly the NT is where its at right now. Id walk the shore in my snowshoes again anyday i just cant afford the hooks lost. There is shallow (3ft) water for about 15ft till the deep flowing body. Almost every time i hooked into one it would zoom to the deep water and snag up about 15ft out. Anywhere the deep fast moving water was close to shore its moving so fast even a big spoon would ride the top. Ended the day putting on this giant almost novelty looking 3oz red devil and hucking it with all i had. Trying to hit an eddy on the opposite side of the river.. about 8 ft into the mighty cast i hear a pop and then watched her sail clear across onto the opposite shore. Im going back to get that hook! lol

Im thinking of just putting in my 12ft old aluminum with the 35 electric on it. Ive got about a 3 maybe 4 hour float worked out... might take all day if the fishing stays hot. Both boat and motor are ancient so if something happens and an emergency ditch is required it wont break the bank.

fishin_guy
04-06-2013, 09:47 AM
Hey man...sent you a pm. You really need to get a flasher. It changes the way you ice fish. I refuse to fish without it anymore.

billycap
05-07-2013, 01:45 PM
Took a chance and rowed around the edge to the inlet today. Water coming in is chocolate milk. Then the ice pushed back and pinned me in the inlet. Almost felt stupid having to drag my boat back across the point till i saw several drag marks where others had already felt my pain. Lake is still 90% iced but its mostly floating slush with some huge portions of 3-4 inch thick soft stuff. Im thinking a week of this 25+ weather and she will be good to go.

I knew i had a trail in there that was built to last lol

keep6matt
05-07-2013, 02:53 PM

Thanks

I fish Cold Lake alot and get some really hogs outta there, I use a med/hvy x 3ft rod with a Abu Garcia Ambassador open reel with 20 lb fire line and tie on florocarbon leader line to a tiny swivel then to the fireline. I run a white bucktail (think its a Northlands) tipped with a piece of anchovie. Try that and I bet you hook into that beast again Billy. Thanks for the great stories, I laffed so hard when I read about the Walmart special blowing up on you....been there, done that. Good times indeed. A good hook set and play that sucker out, time is on your side to land that fish. I had one on this last winter that I played with for nearly a half hour, he ran 8 times when I got him to the hole and peeled out at least 60 feet + of line each run. Then he straightened both the stinger hook and the main single hook, must have been a monster....I will get em again one year. Have a gooder!

1/2 oz Bucktail
05-08-2013, 08:06 AM
You ran into my drag marks off the point. I was out there last Friday and managed a few bulls at the mouth. I was only able to row around the edge of the bay then drag across the point and hit open water again.

billycap
05-08-2013, 12:33 PM
Good stuff! The rivers here are in full melt.... Slow fishing forsure.. Glad to see u caught some bulls. I've yet to catch one there.. Any pics?

billycap
01-30-2014, 05:22 PM
Heading out for the first all nighter of 2014 tomorrow. Been trying to come up with some cool night rigs with more vibration to try and bring them in. Have done several day trips this year with more misses than hits. A friend brought his top of the line flasher out last time and spent the day telling me every time a school of kokanee went by. Only managed laker each but he said he could see them coming in but would not commit. Not being able to use any kind of fish as bait i am limited to mostly soft tubes and grubs. So here is this trips loadout. I also have some other assorted airplane jigs n stuff. Anyone have any ideas? Anyone ever try using chicken pork or beef as bait?

If anyone here wants to try for some of these lakers this year let me know as im always down on visitors.

Anyway good luck out on the ice this weekend folks!

waterninja
01-30-2014, 07:21 PM
i'm a little confused. iv'e seen pics of fish caught at moose lake on other threads and this thread is on it's 4th page. if you are referring to moose lake aka alces lake by mt. robson on the b.c. side of the border, on page 42 of the b.c. freshwater regs. it says that ice fishing is not allowed. has there been a change in the regs. regarding moose lake that is not in the regs? or am i looking at wrong lake?
always wanted to fish that lake (ice fishing included). i wish you good luck on your overnighter, but i would check the regs. hope i'm wrong and you catch some nice fish.

billycap
01-30-2014, 07:45 PM
The moose lake you are looking at is zone 4 (kootenay) As stated in the title im fishing in Moose lake mount robson which is located in zone 7A (omnica) Its not listed in this section so provincial rules apply but you will see yellowhead lake as being closed to ice fishing in this section of the regulations. Sorry, you sent me a PM a while ago with these concerns and i thought i cleared it up.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1315/fishing_synopsis_2013-15_region7a.pdf

This other moose lake is down by fairmont hot springs and is no where close to robson park.

waterninja
01-30-2014, 08:19 PM
The moose lake you are looking at is zone 4 (kootenay) As stated in the title im fishing in Moose lake mount robson which is located in zone 7A (omnica) Its not listed in this section so provincial rules apply but you will see yellowhead lake as being closed to ice fishing in this section of the regulations. Sorry, you sent me a PM a while ago with these concerns and i thought i cleared it up.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1315/fishing_synopsis_2013-15_region7a.pdf

This other moose lake is down by fairmont hot springs and is no where close to robson park.
ahhhhh, i think i understand now. never got a reply to my pm to you.
just to be clear, the moose lake that you are fishing is the one you see from the hwy. between jasper and a little before mt. robson. if so that is great news as that looks like a beautifull lake. thanks. good-luck.

waterninja
01-30-2014, 08:32 PM
opps, ignore my last post. think i got it backwards (got to quit smoking crack). anyways, good luck on your trip.

billycap
01-30-2014, 08:33 PM
Thats strange there is no reply in my Inbox yet my sent box shows that i sent the reply.Here is a cut n paste: "Hey yes moose lake is open year round look under area 7a. Yellowhead lake across the road is closed to ice fishing. I'd recommend bottom bouncing a white tube jig. Large spinner n spoons work well too.
Let me know how u make out
Good luck!"
If you look at the map that goes with each area this stretch of land is covered under 7-1
And yes this moose lake is the one right off the hi-way(16) between jasper and mt robson

waterninja
01-31-2014, 11:01 AM
you are absoultly correct billy. talked to fish and game in valemount who put me through to mt. robson park warden who said you can ice fish that lake. always good to know for sure.

billycap
02-02-2014, 12:08 PM
Report: Got to the lake just before dark and noticed right away that my pelican sled was overweight. Having done many trips pulling all my gear i have a system for managing weight which obviously this time i had not followed. Having to take a running start to get the sled moving was my first clue. Maintaining a slow jog was necessary to keep the sled floating on top the snow. If you find that that your nose is closer to the ground than your bellybutton when your pulling something its too heavy. Took over 40min to do the 1.4km. Got set up and noticed the coleman disc heater was acting up. Irregular flow would be the only way to describe it. Thinking it was cause i was using a 10lb bottle with an 8ft hose the fuel was freezing up outside in the line. Anyway by midnight it had to be at least -30s and the only heat really coming off the coleman was the occasional flare as a gush of propane hit the disc. Was a little sketchy trying to catch some shut eye sitting in a fabric tent next to a 20 inch fireball. Managed 3 of the smallest lakers(12-15inchers) ive caught there between 8-10pm. All with a CLS(coldlakespecial) rod stuck behind shack pole style. I tried all kinds of spoon/spinner set ups and i would get occasional bumps with them but no bites. It was almost like they would come in and park right above my presentation. Shortly after midnight i decided to bail. Fumes had gotten the better of me and made me sick to the stomach. The amount of heat vs pain wasnt adding up and frost had completely lined my entire shack. So with head pounding I reloaded all my night gear and headed back out across the ice to my truck. The ranger barely started. I mean i had to turn off the heater fan to get er to turn over. Up n out the door before sunrise and make it the lake around 7ish to see a buddys vehicle already there. Headed back out across the lake with sunflower in tow(if your gonna gas yourself you may as well be warm). Got to my shack just as buddy was pulling in a smaller laker about 100ft from my set up. Was not long before i hooked into a bigger one(also on a CLS deadstick). Was getting lots of bumps on the flashy stuff again but no actual committed bites. Buddy has a flasher and said they were interested in the lures and would come right up to them but not take. Around 2 pm ish i starting to pack up my stuff and stuck my rod in the shack wall and clipped a bell on. Was just taking out my second armload of stuff and the bell gave a little jingle. I gently opened the bail as i got my rod out of the shacks skeleton and reeled in the slack. Im feeling some nice heavy tugs. I give the rod the a good jerk as to actually set the hook 85ft down and POW!. Like a firecracker the rod bursts in my hands. I stand in amazement as the sheered off rod goes down the hole and im standing there wondering how this happened AGAIN. Thinking that maybe i snagged the bottom as there was zero give on that end when the rod broke. Unlike last time however the perp is still attached to my line. I feel some serious poundage as the line cuts into my hands. Not being able to hold the line with out a double hand wrap was a good indicator. By the time i got it 3/4 the way up it turned toward the hole and cranked on the afterburners leaving me with hand over hand of nothing. Then when i got all the slack out there was the familiar plink of the hook popping out of its big smiling mouth. That makes walt X2 ive missed since i started fishing there.

Ill get em yet!

Heres a few pics including a selfie that shows what a frozen gassed angler looks like. If you look like this you need a new heater. Go big buddy or Go home early!

waterninja
02-02-2014, 02:43 PM
wow, sounds like your overnighter did not go as planned. your the 2nd person who's heater crapped out this weekend. at least you got one nice one for your efforts.

billycap
02-18-2014, 03:30 PM
Well folks this maybe it for moose lake until a lot of snow melts or something can be done to improve parking safety for ice fishing. Actually met another member coming out as i was heading in. First person ive actually ever met there ever. Good guy!..hope the cold lake special works out for ya. Anyways i set up and actually got into a couple mini burbs around 10pmish. First burbs ive ever caught at moose and they were tiny. Between 530-830am the laker action was hot and iced 5 n lost a couple. By around 10am i was just packing up and i see these 2 guys had climbed down the hill and were standing at the ice edge. I could see yellow stripes on the legs and figured that it was F&W. Was hoping it was as i have a million n one questions to ask the robson ranger when i first run into him/her. Ended up being the CN police. While nice enough to help me pack my gear back up the hill to my truck they gave me a 115.00 ticket for crossing the tracks. While the guys were super nice it still kinda urks me that this is the only safe parking on the lake. If you try and park at the boat launch your tires are literally on the white lines and after dark your just asking to get creamed. They dont plow the boat launch at all and according to cn police thats the only access we have to the lake due to the lay of the tracks. He said am not allowed to cross at red pass either. Ok so im at the dentist a couple weeks ago and we are talking moose lake and hes telling me about how cn rents those small cabins at the old camp @ moose lake for 12hun a year or somthing. Now these cabins are on the other side of the tracks.... soooo what.. if i rent a cabin from them then im allowed to cross the tracks and go fishing??? If its a toll they want just say so lol. Living in Valemount leaves few choices for ice fishing. Kinbasket is too sketchy and yellowhead is closed to ice action. Want to get this issue fixed but wondering where to start.....

Why cant CN just share? Its not like im driving on or near the tracks. Am not using them as a trail. A strait up and over. The other option is risk the boat launch and shoe the 10k round trip :mad0030:

One more thing i found kinda strange... The officer asked to see my fishing licence??? CN police do that?

billycap
01-08-2015, 07:10 PM
Second trip out this winter(2015), About 8 inch of good clear ice. Some slush and about 10 inches of snow. This is within a hundred yards of shore in about 80-100ft of water. Wind was blowing like crazy. Felt like my face was getting sand blasted even when facing away from wind. Spent most of the time in the shack.4 lakers landed and one lost between the 2 of us. Buddy was getting his action off the bottom and mine was all around 30ft.

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab209/billycap4u/Ice%20fishing%202011/20150108_082419_5_bestshot.jpg (http://s864.photobucket.com/user/billycap4u/media/Ice%20fishing%202011/20150108_082419_5_bestshot.jpg.html)

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab209/billycap4u/Ice%20fishing%202011/20150108_100919_4_bestshot.jpg (http://s864.photobucket.com/user/billycap4u/media/Ice%20fishing%202011/20150108_100919_4_bestshot.jpg.html)

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab209/billycap4u/Ice%20fishing%202011/20150108_120956.jpg (http://s864.photobucket.com/user/billycap4u/media/Ice%20fishing%202011/20150108_120956.jpg.html)

Happy hunting folks

Training Wheels
01-08-2015, 07:17 PM
Nice fish, way to go!

Bigwoodsman
01-08-2015, 07:52 PM
I was day dreaming about this lake today. This afternoon I searched you're thread and was wondering if anyone has fished this Moose Lake yet. It's 5 hours one way to Moose Lake for me but I just may have to make the trip.

Thanks for posting today.

BW

waterninja
01-08-2015, 09:20 PM
Congrats on the lakers you landed. You didn't mention what the temp. was , but if it was as cold as here (-17 almost all day), AND you had a strong wind, then thats pretty brutal.
I'm a little amassed that this thread has come and gone now for almost 3 years.

Nester
01-08-2015, 11:20 PM
Nicely done!

billycap
01-09-2015, 12:26 AM
Yeah it was super cold. Wouldnt have made made it more than an hour without the ice cube n sunflower. Was not -40 or anything but the wind sure made it feel that way. Bigwoodsman its best fishing early season. Worth an allnighter if your going to make that kind of drive. You just never know what goes bump in the night :)

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab209/billycap4u/20140302_182058.jpg (http://s864.photobucket.com/user/billycap4u/media/20140302_182058.jpg.html)

I wouldnt recommend hitting up the inlet area yet as the ice will be super thin over the springs off the point and the inlet itself.

Glenstr
07-21-2015, 09:47 AM
Interesting thread - every time I drive by this lake I think about fishing it - now I will even more so!

How did you get around the CN issue? Did you ever see the guys again? I find it very odd that you'd get a fine for crossing the tracks like that. When I lived in Hope BC I used to fish the Fraser for winter steelhead and we always were crossing the tracks, and have a look anywhere along the Fraser down there during the sockeye run and you'll see dozens of vehicles parked beside the tracks, and everyone has to cross them to get to the river!

Next time I drive by Moose though, sure going to stop and try a few casts from shore - my tackle box is a weird mix of BC Creek, saltwater & AB lake (pike/walleye) gear - what would you suggest for shore casting?

This thread is a great read, definitely going to keep an eye on it!

billycap
07-23-2015, 07:27 AM
Never ended up having to pay the ticket. Larger spoons is what i would try if shore fishing. I rarely ever fish there in the ice free months but i would imagine early morning or late evening would be your best time as they may be venturing up from the deeps for food at these cooler times of day. Good luck

Glenstr
07-23-2015, 09:53 AM
Thanks - glad that fine thing worked out for you!

Will for sure try a few casts next time I drive by and have time. Will just need to grab a BC license next trip down.

steviebabc123
09-09-2015, 10:28 PM
tried moose lake yesterday. Found fishing tough only 1 kokanee landed in the boat. There was only 1 other hit!! Lots of fish on the finder but not for me!!:angry3: lol...

stevens03
12-27-2015, 08:53 PM
was out on moose dec 26 all morning not a bite -20 lots of fun sketcky ice

waterninja
12-27-2015, 11:05 PM
was out on moose dec 26 all morning not a bite -20 lots of fun sketcky ice
Hi steve, welcome.
We must let this thread die a natural death and perhaps Billy can start a new one that is relevant.