PDA

View Full Version : Gap Lake - west of Rocky Mtn. House

chad66
02-12-2012, 01:16 PM
Hi: Just wondering if anyone has been driving their vehicle into Gap Lake this winter? I was hoping to make a trip there this coming weekend for old times sake; is there still the odd big Brook Trout in there like back in the good old days? For all I know there might be a four lane highway built in there now...

Any information you can provide would be appreciated.

Chad

-JR-
02-12-2012, 02:28 PM
Is the road to gap lake just 4 ft wide in spots

chad66
02-12-2012, 08:07 PM
No one is saying anything...are the brookies that big now?... Or, has the lake dried up?

Bhflyfisher
02-12-2012, 08:25 PM
I wish i could help, but i get mixed up with thunder and gap all the time. I know one of them has pike in it too and winter kills fairly often now.

isoseeker
02-12-2012, 08:34 PM
I drove there last week Sunday and it was open water.

chad66
02-12-2012, 08:43 PM
Really. open water? Has it been that warm up there?

huntin'fool
02-12-2012, 08:49 PM
Open water at Gap? Not a chance. Unless on top of a spring that has been exceptionally active.

Chad,
All other surrounding lakes have about 15 - 21 inches of ice. You're good to go. Recently, the fish being caught are nothing special. I imagine there are a few decent ones, but Gap is far from my first choice for big brookies. Nice location though, makes for a fun day with good weather.

isoseeker
02-12-2012, 08:56 PM
This is the one near Exshaw/Canmore area? if it is then it's open water...

chad66
02-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Open water at Gap? Not a chance. Unless on top of a spring that has been exceptionally active.

Chad,
All other surrounding lakes have about 15 - 21 inches of ice. You're good to go. Recently, the fish being caught are nothing special. I imagine there are a few decent ones, but Gap is far from my first choice for big brookies. Nice location though, makes for a fun day with good weather.

Thanks fool. Ambience is what I was looking for...Now you got me thinking...on the other end of the spectrum there is Rat Lake Are there still Brookies in Rat lake? Does anybody fish there anymore?

-JR-
02-12-2012, 09:06 PM
yup different lake he is taking about.
He is talking about the lake that is west of Rocky mountain and is between Ram Mountain and the forstry trunk road by Nordegg. Its mostly a walk in lake last time I was there.

-JR-
02-12-2012, 09:07 PM
He is talking about the lake that is west of Rocky mountain and is between Ram Mountain and the forstry trunk road by Nordegg. Its mostly a walk in lake last time I was there.

isoseeker
02-12-2012, 09:08 PM
sorry guys, didn't know there was another one. albertafishingguide only showed one lake with this name.

chad66
02-12-2012, 09:19 PM

Yup, just about 30 years ago I walked in there myself. A hunter education camp-out complete with sweat lodge.

chad66
02-12-2012, 09:21 PM
sorry guys, didn't know there was another one. albertafishingguide only showed one lake with this name.

No harm done. Thanks for your input. I did the same thing myself on a thread about Margaret Lake a year or two ago.