PDA

View Full Version : What size Treble hook

dkrhome
02-12-2012, 07:23 PM
Hi everyone,

I am relitivly new to fishing in general. I have gone out with my FIL 6 times now and we have had a blast.

I order to try to catch more fish than me (he was getting desperate) he bought a 2nd rod. So, I could not stand by and allow this as I have a reputation to uphold.

So I bought a tip up so and in reading, people suggest a treble hook. I have seen people talk about size and I have tried to google info on what different sizes mean in relation to the fish you are going for, however no luck.

so far, we have only been fishing for Rainbow and so I want to get some treble hooks that are good for those them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

fish gunner
02-12-2012, 07:35 PM
high quality hooks make all the difference, I just landed a 8lb pike on a size 10 single hook on 4 lb test while hoping for perch.
owner,gamagatsu,diachi,all make great hooks.for pike I use size six trebles.hope this helps.

dkrhome
02-12-2012, 08:42 PM
Thank you Fish gunner..

I will take a look for those names :)

dkrhome
02-13-2012, 07:38 AM
Has anyone used Helicopter tip up lours

Here is an example http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230744303701&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:CA:1123#ht_500wt_1413

The guy is willing to make me a size 10 of those for my Tip up (for rainbow).

iliketrout
02-13-2012, 08:02 AM
Not telling you that the lure on ebay will not work for rainbows, but IMO that would work better for walleye or pike with a large minnow as bait. Given the 20lb wire leader that it's made from, I'd guess that is what this guy primariliy uses them for.

I've used a similar setup without blades on my windlass tip-up and have landed both walleye and pike.

If I was fishing for rainbows on a tipup, I would simply use a worm (or other bait) on a small hook (can't go wrong with Gamakatsu) with a split shot or two, 24" above the hook to get it to the bottom faster.

Geezle
02-13-2012, 08:26 AM
If I was fishing for rainbows on a tipup, I would simply use a worm (or other bait) on a small hook (can't go wrong with Gamakatsu) with a split shot or two, 24" above the hook to get it to the bottom faster.
X2 On this info.

Though I will add that a tip-up isn't really ideal for fishing for rainbows for the most part. Rainbows are a lot more finnicky than some fish, and the tip-up really relies on the fish taking the bait good, and then going for a run with it. If the tip-up isn't set light enough there's a good chance the fish will feel the resistance of the tip-up and try to spit the hook.

You'd be better off with a second rod...even a marmish...and a small hook or jig under a bobber. Wait for the bobber to start swimming around your hole and pull 'er up!

dkrhome
02-13-2012, 08:29 AM
X2 On this info.

Though I will add that a tip-up isn't really ideal for fishing for rainbows for the most part. Rainbows are a lot more finnicky than some fish, and the tip-up really relies on the fish taking the bait good, and then going for a run with it. If the tip-up isn't set light enough there's a good chance the fish will feel the resistance of the tip-up and try to spit the hook.

You'd be better off with a second rod...even a marmish...and a small hook or jig under a bobber. Wait for the bobber to start swimming around your hole and pull 'er up!

I got the Hook-set tip up that sets the hook when the fish strikes. I will post my results of this new set up next weekend as we are going out on Saturday.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
02-13-2012, 04:18 PM
Here is what I would do if you already having all your rods and you not wanting to put out Piles of money .

Go to your local sporting goods store , Fishing hole , Cabelas, Bass pro , Etc

and pick up a removable spring bobber . This will do the same thing that Marmish or similar type rods will do meanwhile having the same rod as you could fish for whatever else excites you .Thats what I do . I dont like them flimsy marmish rods Im a big man and to me seem flimsy .

For rainbows go get yourself some number 8 or 10 Gamakatsu octopus or circle hooks , Hard to find but they are around if not pm me I can get you some in about 4 days , and no that is not a shout out to my business , anyway like Jay and I Liketrout said , tie your hook on use your worm , or minnow whatever excites you , I prefer small 2 inch minnows , Then Tie up put a 3 BB sized split shot about 14 inches up from your hook , and then about 4 to 6 then you can use a Slip bobber or one of them red ones that hook onto your line , That will give you a nice presentation that will get trout off everywhere .

Give it a try dont hesitate to send me a message , I usually am always willing to help out a new guy . I just dont tolerate beggars .

Good luck and good fishing .