PDA

View Full Version : Colorado/Canyon

Shrubs
02-27-2008, 09:59 AM
Just wondering if anyone has one of these and could tell me what kind of mileage they are getting and any other general comments. I'm thinking of down sizing from a sierra with the 5.3 because I put so many miles on and want to cut down on the fuel costs.

Duk Dog
02-27-2008, 10:26 AM
I had a S-10 many years back and it was a good truck. (not great reviews in the Lemon Aid vehicle book at the time, but was a good truck for me) I've had a S-10, Ranger, Frontier, and now a Tacoma and to be honest none of them have been what I would consider to be great on gas. As many have said less than great gas mileage seems to come with the territory of owning a truck - regardless of the size. It would be worth your while to browse the Lemon Aid guide book at Chapters. My 2 cents.

Aim Low
02-27-2008, 10:32 AM
Good Trucks. Out of the 3.7 I5 expect 18-20 MPG highway, 16-18 city (realistically). Also depends on the model, ext. cab, crew. etc.

Gearing is important too. You can get these trucks with a 4.10 which adds lots of go, but will hurt the mileage really badly.

I think its criminal they don't offer a long bed crew cab like Toyota does on the Tacoma. Otherwise it would be my truck. My 2003 tracker lifted on 30 inchers does just fine for me here in the city (25-26MPG). I'll probably pick up a colly when I'm done school.

Check out coloradofans.com, do a search on mileage, lots of conflicted reports.

Good move on the downsize. I heard that 1.50/L gas might happen this summer (don't know if this is true or not, but still something to consider).

AB2506
02-27-2008, 11:25 AM
I would look at the Tacoma, then the Frontier. Colorado would be third. I think they are overpriced for what they offer.

My Toyota is going on 18 years now. Not too many 18 yr old S10s running around. In small trucks, Toyota should be first choice, IMHO.

TheClash
02-27-2008, 11:52 AM
that inline 5 is way underpowered and the suspension is super mushy imho.....

but there is good room in the interior.

Aim Low
02-27-2008, 01:36 PM
The I5 is a bit of a funny motor for a truck, lots of power on the top end. However they saw a bump in HP last year to 242. Considering its a pretty small truck, from the ones I've driven, they have more than adequate power.

Personally if your downsizing, stay away from the Tacoma. To quote a guy I know who just bought one last year "I should have just bought a full size, its almost as big and pretty much gives me the same mileage as a V8". He pulls in 16 tops around the city, typically lower though. This said, it will last forever and your resale is way better.

"and the suspension is super mushy imho....."

Agreed, an easy fix for this is just turning the torsion bars up about an inch, which will also level the truck out a bit (I hate chevy squat anyway).

Usually big rebates on domestics at year end as well...It all depends on what you want/need I guess. If you want smaller, go with the colly, something a bit bigger, go Taco.

Stinky Coyote
02-27-2008, 03:49 PM
i have an 05 crew z71 with 3.5l auto with 3:73 gears....worst tank of gas i ever recorded was 17 during a really long cold snap...average tank with mostly city driving is 20 mpg and best on highway to edmonton at almost 130 km/h was just under 25 mpg.....i drive fast(traffic or not) and never seem to 'take it easy' and never think about trying to get better gas mileage if your wondering about my driving habits....not a bad little truck and its plenty peppy(parks like a car too...nice)....if i could do over i'd get the 4:10 rear end as anytime you tow you'll want it, this i've learned forsure over the past 70,000 kms i've put on mine...it does okay the way it is but like i said...if to do over i'd get the 4:10's talking a few hundred rpm higher at highway speed but my highway speed is 129 and i'm pulling 2500 rpm to keep it from shifting too much...but if i had 4:10's i could pull the same rpm to keep the power fat and not get the attention of too many cops lol....with the new 3.7l it probably won't matter with either of those rear ends...the little bit of extra power would make the difference needed on the highway i'm sure...mine is bone stock, no mods, mobil 1 synthetic since broke in

bet you could steal these trucks for nothing out of the states....would make a great hunting truck....have drug quit a few big bucks into the back of mine already and did i mention the 4x4?....thing is narrow and doesn't weigh much so its just awesome offroad...i drive it like a quad almost, have actually gone down quad trails....as soon as i get into a fullsize truck i feel the weight and wouldn't take it with near the confidence the places i don't even hesitate to take the little colorado....great little hunters rig imo

Stinky Coyote
02-27-2008, 03:59 PM
Shrubs, and gang...

If buying new and can wait for the 2010 trucks then things are going to get really interesting as the smaller diesels are coming! Dodge has a baby cummins for before 2010 slated, chev has a 4.5 v8 duramax coming and ford too(i don't follow ford news...sorry) and thats the tip of the ice burg...if buying used then don't worry about this stuff for a few years yet but the next few years is going to give us alot more options for small diesels in every type of vehicle....a little colorado with a 4 cyl diesel would be sweet...probably see 30 mpg pretty easy....we'll be able to get anything we want in the next 5 yrs i bet....i'm holding out, can't complain about my little gas pot...does everything i need pretty good too, i'm happy with truck

Aim Low
02-27-2008, 04:46 PM
....a little colorado with a 4 cyl diesel would be sweet...

It sure would! I'd buy one in a heartbeat. This has been talked about quite a bit on Coloradofans.com, as the GMT 355 platform is offered with a diesel motor overseas. I wouldn't hold your breath on this. This platform will probably be replaced around 2012-14ish, so it would make little sense this late in a model cycle to spend massive R&D money to design a totally new powertrain for North American use (why don't they just use the internationally offered existing diesel? They keep saying that it doesn't meet existing emissions requirements :huh:).

Shrubs
02-27-2008, 05:11 PM
I'd be interested to see what a diesel engine would get in a half or mid size, probably and hopefully good. I also wonder what the price tag on one is going to be.

I kind of miss my old 6.2, filled to the top I could go from Red Deer to Manning which is around or just under 800kms (that was pulling my little boat and quad). Really underpowered though.

With my Sierra I get around 20. Used to be better but I think my cats are getting plugged up a bit. Time to cut em out, just gotta get that 02 simulator ordered up:evilgrin:

From the responses it's tough to say if it would be worth it. I was hoping they would get around 30 but from my research and replies here even the 2wd reg. models only get 27.

LB 270
02-28-2008, 04:00 PM
Two Words: Toyota Tacoma.
Was not impressed I when compared the two. The GM left us on the side of the road ON THE TEST DRIVE. I really felt sorry for the kid trying his damnest to sell me the truck. Power, size, resale. Toyota has it all. My .02
LB

70chevy
02-28-2008, 07:48 PM
I have a 04 ,been a pretty decent unit since I got it.Had a few problems with it right after I bought it but that is typical of first year run vehicles.I think they finally have all the bugs out of it now.Ten days after purchase head had to be replaced as 75% blowby out of exhaust valves,replaced alternater,on average roughly 20-24 mpg,very zippy truck,only setback is that it has a hard time pulling my trailer 17".Road trip to se ontario burned about 800 dollars of fuel in 9100 klm trip.Lots of room inside,nice package.One thing I do not like about it is if the computer detectes a problem it will kick into "limp mode",it will do this even it is a lose gas cap "doh"

stubblejumper
02-28-2008, 07:54 PM
A co worker has a two wheel drive Colorado,and is very happy with highway mileage around 26mpg.However ,he has had a few problems and is now dealing on a Tacoma because he wants a more reliable vehicle.Since he started dealing on the tacoma,he is very disappointed with the resale of the Colorado.

Shrubs
02-29-2008, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the replies all.