sheephunter
02-27-2008, 12:45 PM
February 25, 2008

Mr. Kevin Taft, Leader
Alberta Liberal Party
10247 - 124 Street NW
Edmonton, Alberta T5N 1P8

Dear Sir;

I must express my great disappointment in the media release that was issued by your party on February 22, 2008 concerning our Annual Conference.

Let me clarify first that the Alberta Fish & Game Association (AFGA) is apolitical---we do not support one party over another. We exist to serve and work for the fish, wildlife, and habitat in Alberta and part of doing so requires that we work with the government departments of the day that are involved in these areas. To this end the Minister has been a guest of AFGA on an annual basis. The invitation to Minister Morton was extended AND accepted sometime last year before the election was called. This working relationship is regardless of which party is in power.

Minister Morton’s talk, which both he and AFGA agreed upon prior to the event, dealt with fish and wildlife issues. This was clearly stated to your party.

I am also disappointed with the insinuation that because the AFGA applies for and receives grants from the government that we would not permit you to speak. Does this suggest that should the Liberals come into power that all granting in support of fish, wildlife and habitat would cease to exist? What’s the message you are sending here to the people who truly care about our natural resources?

One last word on the funding comment: it’s proven that NGO’s such as the AFGA with its 17,000 volunteer members can do many things much more economically than government.

The Liberal party’s communication also does not give much credibility to individual AFGA members on their ability to think for themselves as witnessed by all the references to what the Liberals would have told them about various aspects of the Open Spaces program. It may be of interest to you that when the vote was taken 100% of the delegates voted against the Open Spaces program! And all this without the Liberal Party’s input.

I look forward to your response.

Yours in Conservation,
Maurice Nadeau, President
AFGA

Duk Dog
02-27-2008, 12:46 PM
You beat me to it. Thanks for posting Sheep.

Big Bull
02-27-2008, 01:55 PM
Great letter. Were the liberals trying to turn the AFGA conference into their own political forum?

Dick284
02-27-2008, 06:21 PM
I just wrote them to let them know up until I heard about the AFGA Confrence mis que I was actually considering them. ;)
Pointed out that if they had bonifide and legitamate concerns they would'nt have known the skinny on the where's and hows of the AFGA Convention. I dislike parties who schmooze just for the sake of a vote or two.:mad3:

LongDraw
02-27-2008, 07:11 PM
I dislike parties who schmooze just for the sake of a vote or two.:mad3:

This would then eliminate you liking every political party in the history of the free world....

Look at all the PC schmoozing that has happened since the dropping of the writ, and the weeks leading up to it. Not trying to defend the Liberals here, but you can't really blame them for trying..... Plain and simple it's politics. If the Libs were in power announcing Open Spaces you bet the PC's would be against it.