PDA

View Full Version : Caught a bunch of Burbot!

oueljust
02-13-2012, 08:41 AM
A group of five went out and caught a bunch of Burbot. We had an absolute blast until it came time to clean them. Took 2 hours to clean and a whole day to can.

Mike_W
02-13-2012, 09:14 AM
Wow good day out forsure ...looks the burbs are geting ready to spawn.

Some of those look small for burbot must not get much meat off the smaller ones.

Id hate to see what the pile of guts next to the pile of meat would look like ......I know from when I clean one or two of them they are there must be 20 % meat and 80% guts....

How do you clean your burbot?

marlin1
02-13-2012, 09:58 AM
nice haul , don't suppose you'll say where ? Would like some burbs to eat .

oueljust
02-13-2012, 10:19 AM
Supper simple to clean! I make an incision around the head, and then use needle nose pliers to peal the skin like a snake. I just take the back straps and the tail. Stay away from the belly, taste super strong.

oueljust
02-13-2012, 10:20 AM
You can catch Burbot in any lake, but I’ll give you an early Valentines gift and tell you which lake I caught them at. “Lac St. Anne” right off the boat launch.

fishinggeek
02-13-2012, 11:27 AM
You can catch Burbot in any lake, but I’ll give you an early Valentines gift and tell you which lake I caught them at. “Lac St. Anne” right off the boat launch.

LMAO. Im gonna go out there one evening this wend and see how many shacks are up. lol. Only saw 2 out by the boatlaunch thursday night.

oueljust
02-13-2012, 11:41 AM
I was the one with the plastic hut on Thursday.

RMauthe
02-13-2012, 11:41 AM
Awesome catch - thanks for sharing. I do have a couple qestions. You mentioned canning the fish. Whats that like? I have never fished for Burbot. What kind of bait did you use?

fishinggeek
02-13-2012, 12:04 PM
I was the one with the plastic hut on Thursday.

Do you leave it out all the time. As i was driving past at 500pm and didn't see any veh's by the shacks. I got out to get a bit of fishing in for the night bite, fished till sunset and got 3 small pike and 3 eyes, no burb's thou. PM me and let me know what your driving and when you get out, i can come say hi if i do get out.

mike_samoil
02-13-2012, 01:37 PM
whats the best lures for catching burbot ?

marlin1
02-13-2012, 01:38 PM

thanks , Ive caught lots but not in those numbers since I was at Buffalo lake 20 years or so ago . That lake is a little far for this southern boy though

BeeGuy
02-13-2012, 05:00 PM
Out of curiosity, what are your favorite burb baits?

We have several preferred baits but just curious to see what you/others use.

We are in the south and won't be fishing up there.

Cheers.