PDA

View Full Version : Where's the Brook Trout?

easterner
02-14-2012, 01:59 PM
Hi there everyone!

Haven't gone fishing for Brook Trout in many years and was wondering if there are good places for fishing it in and around Calgary?

Doesn't really have to be big ones, I love catching small ones and dust them with a little flour and fry them up!

Any tips would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

The Easterner

Takmaster
02-14-2012, 05:51 PM
My friend and I caught these one afternoon the first week the ice was safe. Have to go west of the rockies for these guys though; the second pic was over 4 lbs. Good luck in your search.

echo
02-14-2012, 06:32 PM
My friend and I caught these one afternoon the first week the ice was safe. Have to go west of the rockies for these guys though; the second pic was over 4 lbs. Good luck in your search.

Nice fish !!

easterner
02-15-2012, 07:53 AM
Nice ones!!! That's exactly what I'm looking for! :-) Not too big, just big enough for a nice snack! :-)

greylynx
02-15-2012, 10:21 AM
A nice snack indeed, and I don't feel bad for not releasing Brookies either.:):)

fishpro
02-15-2012, 11:19 AM
Check out some of the smaller creeks around. The Highwood River system has some, especially in the tributaries. Quirk Creek is loaded with them, it's all C&R but you can go on outings with Trout Unlimited where they catch and kill all the brook trout they catch, you just need to prove you can tell them apart from other species. There's also Elbow Lake, tons of small brookies, and it's encouraged that you take your limit from there since the fish are stunted.

None of these places will give up brookies as big as those posted above, but with some footwork and miles driving you may be able to find some brookies like those around here.

Dust1n
02-15-2012, 04:59 PM
wow no one gives out locations near rocky? Try Peppers lake, Birch Lake, Yellowhead Lake, Theres Also Gap, Thunder but there a bit farther away.
BTW nice catch on the brook trout.

Takmaster
02-26-2012, 09:02 PM
Returned to the same lake in my first post yesterday and had an awesome day. This is the biggest brookie I have seen pulled from this lake. He was an absolute pig. The smaller fish were between 1.5 and 2 lbs. They were all gorged on big olive scuds. Awesome day.:sHa_shakeshout:

slivers86
02-26-2012, 09:04 PM
Returned to the same lake in my first post yesterday and had an awesome day. This is the biggest brookie I have seen pulled from this lake. He was an absolute pig. The smaller fish were between 1.5 and 2 lbs. They were all gorged on big olive scuds. Awesome day.:sHa_shakeshout:

tak what area of the province do you live in? Near Calgary? not asking the spot, but your background looks somewhat familiar.

Takmaster
02-26-2012, 09:16 PM
This lake is not in Alberta. I moved back to Prince George (BC) last spring. I grew up 15 minutes from here. It is a beautiful little lake with a small resort recently re-opened on it.

goldscud
02-26-2012, 11:19 PM
Great fish Takmaster. Are they triploid Brookies?

McLeod
02-27-2012, 12:01 PM
10,000 triploid Brookies a year in Vivian Lake !

Takmaster
02-27-2012, 03:29 PM
McLeod you nailed it. Word in the shop was a guy landed a 7lb. outa there last week so we just had to have a go ourselves. There are some beauties in there. The 22"rainbows aren't bad either.:)

BeeGuy
02-27-2012, 03:37 PM
Can't wait for someone to beat old Dr.Cook's Nipigon record with a triploid brookie from BC.

Bhflyfisher
02-27-2012, 04:01 PM
Screw our trip to white lake in may, we're driving to vivian... YEEEEEEEHAW

McLeod
02-27-2012, 07:53 PM
Can't wait for someone to beat old Dr.Cook's Nipigon record with a triploid brookie from BC.

No reason it couldn't be caught in Alberta..We have triploid Brookies here..
And there may besome of the nip strain in Maligne and we know there are a few monster brookies in there.

BeeGuy
02-27-2012, 07:58 PM
I believe the Fortress Lake has Nipigon strain brookies. I'm not sure about Maligne, but those ones David caught were beasts.

It would be a sad day that any 3n stock-er or farm fish is considered for a record.

I hit up a small lake in AB with trip brookies. They were gorgeous, but tasted awful. Almost inedible. Must have been their habitat.

McLeod
02-27-2012, 08:17 PM
I believe the Fortress Lake has Nipigon strain brookies. I'm not sure about Maligne, but those ones David caught were beasts.

It would be a sad day that any 3n stock-er or farm fish is considered for a record.

I hit up a small lake in AB with trip brookies. They were gorgeous, but tasted awful. Almost inedible. Must have been their habitat.

Yes the Fortress are nips///But at the same time some of those that arrived on the train also ended up in Maligne..
I would suggest that the awful taste had more to do with what they were eating and possibley the time of year when you caught them.

As for the record ..The record Rainbow ..those hogs from Sask were trips

Speckle55
02-28-2012, 10:56 AM
Here is one47890 from the other day Muskiki lake north of Nordegg turn off at the Cardinal Divide road past Small Boys Camp about 10k has Cutthroats too or Thunder Lake but they taste muddy from there just before Small Boys Camp

Food for Thought
David

McLeod
02-28-2012, 01:15 PM
Here is one47890 from the other day Muskiki lake north of Nordegg turn off at the Cardinal Divide road past Small Boys Camp about 10k has Cutthroats too or Thunder Lake but they taste muddy from there just before Small Boys Camp

Food for Thought
David

Hopefully this last dump of snow doesn't lead to winterkill down the road.

Sledder1
02-29-2012, 10:03 AM
what would you recommend to fish with for brookies?

Ken07AOVette
02-29-2012, 11:30 AM
what would you recommend to fish with for brookies?

Maggots on a small yellow headed jig or shrimp, corn, king worm

czoom
02-29-2012, 11:57 AM

Food for Thought
David

Wow that sure is a nice brook trout. How big did this one run? Looks like a trophy.

Speckle55
02-29-2012, 12:14 PM
Wow that sure is a nice brook trout. How big did this one run? Looks like a trophy.
its 3#7/3#8 about 20 inches.. and there is allways bigger:waiting4:

David:)

Speckle55
02-29-2012, 12:17 PM
Hopefully this last dump of snow doesn't lead to winterkill down the road.

yep they got some low oxygen counts just lately in Thunder and Wildhorse i just found out ... fingers crossed:scared:

David

Takmaster
02-29-2012, 02:42 PM
I have great luck with Berkley atomic teasers in Chartreuse, silver speck and a small chunk of krill/shrimp on the hook. If it slows down midday I may put some Dr. Juice on it... If that doesn't work I throw on a blue fox minnow, big black and white one with salmon roe.