over the years,is it worth
puttin them on a rod,if so what
Am going to bass pro tomorrow
any suggestions?
Or shall i just take them with me to find a perffect
combination

TROLLER
02-14-2012, 03:55 PM
Man who can't remember the Mitchell 300. Had one when I was a kid and that was at least 50 yrs ago. Yup I would be an oldie fisherman. ha

While nice to have and I still have 2 I would never fish with em. Even today's cheapest reels are 10 times better than the old ones,

If you feel you must fish with em for whatever reason hook em up to an Ugly Stick.

zipper lip creek
02-14-2012, 04:04 PM
Just what i thought
to many fish caught on some of them
into the hall of fame they go
marvel lake owl lake,and countless
other excursions
one of my first reels glad i still have it:happy0180:

fish gunner
02-14-2012, 06:23 PM
one of my fave and still one of the best allrounders. I have 2 good ones and a part reel,they get used every summer.I have 5 spare spools loaded with line from 4- 30lb the 30lb is braid on a stainless spool and the 4lb on a match spool (very shallow).the bail spring is their one weakness,but no beg deal to change out,since they show up at garage sales for 5$.I am quite sure I have landed every thing from sunfish to fair large pike on on mine. the new browning float rod is my next purchase.a great combo with a 300 mitchell.

horsetrader
02-14-2012, 08:18 PM
Just what i thought
to many fish caught on some of them
into the hall of fame they go
marvel lake owl lake,and countless
other excursions
one of my first reels glad i still have it:happy0180:

Are they all 300A or 300 the 300 was a better reel it had problems with the bail as Fish Gunner mentioned. But anyone that used them a lot just got use to moving bail back by hand after casting then you never had bail spring problems again still find myself doing it still from time to time. They are still a serviceable reel but there are a lot better out there fairly cheap.

fishnfoo
02-14-2012, 09:57 PM
I agree with the other responses. I had a 300 and it worked but you can get so much better now for a whole lot less. For a jigging rod I use a Shimano Compre with a Pflueger President reel. Not top of the line but very good value for the money. My rigging rod is a Fenwick HMG. You can get an excellent rod for $80-120. Not that expensive when you consider how long you will own it. Same goes for reels.

If you want to get a great deal, wait for the Fishn Hole's show at the Mayfield in March.

Just my .02

Cal
02-14-2012, 10:15 PM
Man who can't remember the Mitchell 300. Had one when I was a kid and that was at least 50 yrs ago. Yup I would be an oldie fisherman. ha

While nice to have and I still have 2 I would never fish with em. Even today's cheapest reels are 10 times better than the old ones,

If you feel you must fish with em for whatever reason hook em up to an Ugly Stick.

I tend to dissagree with this sentiment, I fish alot and my style of fishing tends to be hard on gear. I'll wear out a mid range Pfluger or Shimano in 2-3 years (incidently about the same amount of time that it takes for a model to be discontined so you cant get parts) and usualy go through a rod a year. I've gravitated back to older reels, a Daiwa BG15 and an old DAM reel have become my go to reels, if your 300 is anything like these tanks then it most likely has more years left in it than most new reels have when they leave the store.

Throw that thing on an Uglystick Lite and spool it up with Maxima and youve got one sweet rig.

TROLLER
02-16-2012, 08:28 AM
I tend to dissagree with this sentiment, I fish alot and my style of fishing tends to be hard on gear. I'll wear out a mid range Pfluger or Shimano in 2-3 years (incidently about the same amount of time that it takes for a model to be discontined so you cant get parts) and usualy go through a rod a year. I've gravitated back to older reels, a Daiwa BG15 and an old DAM reel have become my go to reels, if your 300 is anything like these tanks then it most likely has more years left in it than most new reels have when they leave the store.

Throw that thing on an Uglystick Lite and spool it up with Maxima and youve got one sweet rig.

Friend of mine is thinks kinda like you. He insists that his 87 Chev 1/2 ton is better and more fuel efficient than the new models. Only problem is that he is forever tuning and messing around with things. Kinda like the old 300's always messing with the bail and drag.

fish gunner
02-16-2012, 08:57 AM
Friend of mine is thinks kinda like you. He insists that his 87 Chev 1/2 ton is better and more fuel efficient than the new models. Only problem is that he is forever tuning and messing around with things. Kinda like the old 300's always messing with the bail and drag.

my friend owns a 97 gmc cost him 2g. when he took ownership it had 100k, it now had 420+ k,in that time we fig he put 2g into it a rear end and a trany.he now has a shiny new one ton ,at 40odd g.we fig that the new truck will will need to run 3.2million k with out a major break down(2g might replace the injectors)all the while maintaining 20odd mpg. I feel the same abought mitchell reels my entire collection of of bits and pieces cost less than 50$and has almost 20 years of constant use, in that time I have spent maybe 10$ in parts.the last new 50$ reel I purchased was losing parts after 1 year, they just don't make them like they used to.

fishnfoo
02-16-2012, 06:17 PM
I think that this breaks down to the value you place on your fishing equipment. There is no doubt that you can go to a garage sale and pick up an old rod and reel for ten bucks. There is also no doubt that you would be able to catch fish with it. Personally, I find that by buying new mid-range quality fishing gear I get a great deal more enjoyment out of my fishing experience because the new equipment is more sensitive and smooth.

I find the new equipment is as durable as the old equipment and is far smoother and much more sensitive. I have has a new style shakespeare reel for more that ten years of hard fishing and it is still smooth as silk. Given the cost involved in gas, camping, licences etc. that is spent when fishing, I think that being concerned about the cost of the new equipment is a "false economy".

After spending althat maoney getting to the lake why bring crappy eqipment with you?

fishnfoo
02-16-2012, 10:04 PM
Wow. That was the worst post ever. I was in a rush and I apologize.

The point that I was trying to make is that when you go fishing you have already spent quite a bit of money (on your boat, motor, gas, licences....). Why skimp on your rod and reel? The newer equipment is smoother and more sensitive than the old stuff and in my experience is also quite durable. I think that the old stuff is OK but the newer equipment gives you a much better fishing experience.

fish gunner
02-16-2012, 10:31 PM
I think you miss the point of the OP,and by your assumptions that the OP owns a boat, truck and travels a great distance to fish.old gear got that way for a reason, build quality.my 300 mitchell may be a little heavy,but is as smooth as any of my new reels.because parts are easy to get, because their still lots around,because they last.the op asked if they are of use,not if after towing his boat into a remote lake will he enjoy it more with a new reel.

TROLLER
02-17-2012, 09:20 AM
I think you miss the point of the OP,and by your assumptions that the OP owns a boat, truck and travels a great distance to fish.old gear got that way for a reason, build quality.my 300 mitchell may be a little heavy,but is as smooth as any of my new reels.because parts are easy to get, because their still lots around,because they last.the op asked if they are of use,not if after towing his boat into a remote lake will he enjoy it more with a new reel.

Saying that old 300 with what, 1 ball bearing is as smooth as the new ones with 8 ball bearings is streaching it just a bit don't ya think?

The only reason you can find parts is because old buggers like me have kept the damn things for sentimental value, Why I don't know because I would for sure never fish with one.

But good luck with your fishing.

Cal
02-17-2012, 08:00 PM

Lol my 87 chevy WAS better, more fuel efficiant, and more relyable than my 06 chevy! My 92 was even better still. Eventualy as my other spinning reels break down I will replace them all with Daiwa BG's. I will never claim they are as smooth as a new quality reel, never lost a fish because of it though so I'll invest in tough construction over double digit ball bearings.