PDA

View Full Version : Pinehurst Report

Rob
02-14-2012, 06:15 PM
Before I post the report, thx to everyone who replied and/ or sent me a PM reference the conditions up there. Cheers

Arrived at the Provincial Campground boat launch by 8:30 (didn't try driving around the long way to take the trail into Snug Cove from the Seibert rd) and after seeing a huge ice heave that stretched from the North end of the lake almost to the South shore, we drove out.

There's a pretty warn down set of truck tracks (maybe 10 trucks worth) that we followed all the way to Snug Cove (yes, it was a long and slow journey) but eventually we made it to my spot by about 9:00, set-up (2 guys with 4 tip-ups) by 9:15.

I was set-up about 400m outside Snug Cove on the major weed bed/ sand bar (my go-to Fall hot spot) and the ice was easily 30+ inches of clean, clear ice - balls deep on the power auger!

We stayed in that spot for about 2hrs, and unfortunately were not rewarded as i had hoped - 4 flags, one puny pike. Pretty sad.

At 11:30 we made our way to the mouth of the large bay along the North shore, just to the West of Snug Cove, where I know of a nice rocky sand bar and deep weed bed - my second favourite spot for huge Northerns. We were set-up by 12:15 and we stayed until 2:30. Again, JUNK! 3 flags between us and one 3lb pike to show for it.

All in all, the weather was awesome, the ice was clear, thick and good for travel to just about anywhere on the lake, the snow cover was maybe 2inches of crusty snow BUT the fishing was "off." The fish that tripped the flags seemed to take the bait (6-8 inch Sardines) very slowly, move off just a bit (the tip-up barely spinning) and then drop the bait.

Regardless, I won't give up that easily because I know there are pike that push 30lbs in there - I'll figure it out eventually. Hopefully these tips will help someone get out there and have better luck than we did.

Cheers

Paulqp
02-14-2012, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the update on the road at pinhurst , im going to go there this weekend hope I will have some luck

blackonblackfx4
02-15-2012, 12:01 AM
Has anyone been hitting any walleye? I still have my tags!

SNAPFisher
02-15-2012, 12:38 AM
Great info, thanks! That is a long drive on the ice indeed. I was thinking of Pinehurst but your report has changed my mind. It is a long way to go for a slow day. So many lakes in that area that I think I'll try some other ones. Thanks again.

Safety D
02-15-2012, 08:24 AM
Use to be such a great lake. To bad its so dead now...

Paul C
02-15-2012, 02:35 PM
Use to be such a great lake. To bad its so dead now...
I knew you cant resist making it so d e a d. On the flip side it good to so you out and about on the forum.

AxeMan
02-15-2012, 02:37 PM
Rob, thanks for the report. There is nothing wrong with your choice of spots either. You can bet there were big fish very close to you but were just not biting. Pinehurst is a funny lake that way. They are either on or off and it can change in a day or even from morning to night. Patience is the key on that lake.

Rob
02-15-2012, 09:00 PM
No drama, but I'm confident that the big girls are in those spots; since in the Fall you can't keep pike in the 15-20lbs range off your hook (with the bigger ones coming within the 21-23lbs range).

Problem for me is the travel. Wabumun is 45min from door to door, with the promise of a 15lbs pike every time out. I'm just skeptical that there's an abundance of fish over 20lbs in Wabamun from what I've seen; 12 - 17lbs, yes. True 20+, not convinced. That's what I'm after. A true 20+.

Before every 'Wab regular' freaks out, my opinion is simply based on my experience (as limited as it may be - 6 times this winter) and just about every report I've read on this site thus far. It literally looks as if every pic is the same fish - 12 - 17lbs max.

I hope I'm RTFO, since I like fishing Wab and still hold out hope for one of those mystical 20's.

Kim473
02-15-2012, 09:12 PM
Great report Rob

AxeMan
02-15-2012, 09:18 PM
Rob, my younger brother is a hardcore Pinehurst pike guy. I could show you pictures of many bonafide 20 plus pounders from the spots you spoke of on Pinehurst. I think Wab has them too but I agree with your assessment.

I have found a new lake with big pike and literally no one goes there. Travel is a bit of an issue too but there are many big pike. I can get my truck right to it. I have to get back there soon and get a real feel for just how big they get there. The average is ten plus pounds though. I know 25 pounders have come out of it. Here is a very recent pic of a couple of average 12 pounders from it.

Rob
02-15-2012, 09:34 PM
Those are some quality fish - nice uniform thickness from stem to stern. If you say the lake is called 'X' I'm going to scream.