PDA

View Full Version : Down Imaging versus Side Imaging

JohninAB
02-15-2012, 10:44 AM
Which is the better of the two?

What brand Lowrance or Humminbird?

fishing101
02-15-2012, 10:59 AM
get a unit with both combined. If your only going to get one then I would go with side imaging. It allows you to cover a ton of water way faster. Lowarnce has just came out with their gen 2 line. I heard really good things about it. I am a big fan of humminbird because of their customer service and they give free software updates on their units. What size are you looking for and are you looking to link them together.

npauls
02-15-2012, 02:00 PM
Lowrance also has free software updates for their units.

Can't say how the customer service is because I haven't had a problem with my lowrance unit.

TROLLER
02-15-2012, 03:03 PM
Don't matter which one you buy the side imiger is still an extra 700 bucks on top of the finder

fishing101
02-15-2012, 06:25 PM
I am almost positive that most humminbirds side imaging you don't have to but the transducer. Cabelas has one with both down and side for 2 grand.

Bad thing with lowrance is that they don't support their old products very well. With gen 2 coming out they will be facing out updates for the first gen units.

huntsfurfish
02-15-2012, 07:28 PM
Humminbirds include side imaging.

Lowrance is normally separate. Lowrance units cheaper and can add SI later if budget dictates.

Lowrance is better unit in my opinion(I have 3 HDS units and will soon add 1 Generation 2).
Also have LMS 332 and 337 maybe 7 years old? Still working fine. havent had an update on them for 4-5 years. Dont need to.
Humminbird has had better customer service but I hear it(Lowrance) has improved quite a bit.

Cant go wrong with either unit.

Are you a tournament fisherman(I am)? If you are, buy the Humminbird:evilgrin: :)

Teamprotz
02-15-2012, 07:48 PM
Haven't used my 997 bird much , but it was way easier to set up than dad's HDS 8 w/ structure scan. Cabelas has the 1157 bird on for 1199 , big screen but unsure if it has side/down scan.