PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Salt with a Freshwater Reel?

HunterDave
02-15-2012, 04:56 PM
I'm headed to Mexico in April and I plan on doing a bit of ocean fishing with a telescopic rod that I'm taking down. I was wondering what kind of damage I could expect if I use a freshwater reel for a few days of salt water fishing . Are there any precautions that I could take or should I use an old reel that I'm prepared to write off?

Bobby B.
02-15-2012, 05:57 PM
I'm headed to Mexico in April and I plan on doing a bit of ocean fishing with a telescopic rod that I'm taking down. I was wondering what kind of damage I could expect if I use a freshwater reel for a few days of salt water fishing . Are there any precautions that I could take or should I use an old reel that I'm prepared to write off?

Just be certain to rinse it THOROUGHLY in fresh water after each use and it should survive well enough. Mine have.

Bobby B.

HunterDave
02-15-2012, 06:18 PM
Just be certain to rinse it THOROUGHLY in fresh water after each use and it should survive well enough. Mine have.

Bobby B.

Thanks Bobby B.! I've been searching around the internet and I found exactly what you said. I'm going to take an older spinning reel and I'll just do a thorough cleaning and re-lube when I get home.

Commander B
02-15-2012, 10:24 PM
A hose is not enough.. Submerge in fresh water, rince, lather, and repeat.

Quantum Tour PTI = expensive lesson!

B.

Bobby B.
02-16-2012, 08:50 AM
A hose is not enough.. Submerge in fresh water, rince, lather, and repeat.

Quantum Tour PTI = expensive lesson!

B.

I let mine soak in the tub then rinsed it off when I showered.

Bobby B.

cube
02-16-2012, 10:47 AM

I would not hose down or soak your reel. Just take you spool off at the end of the day and rise it under the tap. Wipe the rest of the reel off with a damp cloth. drenching or soaking your reel just helps the salt get in. (below is a URL for the OKUMA factory recomendation.

http://video.answers.com/fishing-reel-maintenance-how-to-maintain-your-spinning-reel-174006352

Have fun and good luck to you in Mexico.

HunterDave
02-16-2012, 11:40 AM
http://video.answers.com/fishing-reel-maintenance-how-to-maintain-your-spinning-reel-174006352

Unless my reel goes for an unexpected swim this is what I'll go with.

Thanks!

Tofinofish
02-16-2012, 12:45 PM
We go through the routine 100's of times per year with all our gear used in Salt-water. A good rinse, not with high pressure, and a good shake to help rid excess water works well. Very frequent rinsing also finds us re-lubing/greasing more often but not a big deal.

Jamie
02-16-2012, 12:47 PM
We go through the routine 100's of times per year with all our gear used in Salt-water. A good rinse, not with high pressure, and a good shake to help rid excess water works well. Very frequent rinsing also finds us re-lubing/greasing more often but not a big deal.

X2

Take great care of your gear and it will take great care of you.

Jamie

Tofinofish
02-16-2012, 04:53 PM
Something else to mention,

Even when you buy a high end reel that is anodized Alum. like Islander, you need to consider all the inner working parts that will fail far sooner than the actual frame or spool.
We take special care with our Islanders and I still replace $1000.00 or more in small working parts per year, due to Salt corrosion.

Does not matter what value, you need to take care with Salt water use.

J.