PDA

View Full Version : Newell Derby

Carson13
02-15-2012, 10:30 PM
HI was just wondering who was going out to the derby this weekend and what bays your going to? but i also heard they cut down the tickets to 500 and there wasnt any ice augers up for draw, does anyone know if this is true?:thinking-006:

Thanks;
Carson

WayneChristie
02-16-2012, 07:04 AM
500 tickets dont know what the prizes for the draws are. I will be there, yelling fish on! or not. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

madatter
02-16-2012, 07:31 AM
500 tickets dont know what the prizes for the draws are. I will be there, yelling fish on! or not. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

After fishing Newell 3 times in the last week all I can say is that it's pretty hit n miss.
Early morning not great,mid morning ok,then they seem to sleep for a while before coming on mid afternoon.
Lots of bites,kept a few and from the look of their guts I would say I had some repeat offenders:)
Nothing real big 10lbs was the biggest.

WayneChristie
02-16-2012, 07:35 AM
they do seem to hit better as the sun starts dropping, Ive been hiding the big ones til Saturday :)

cdkeim
02-16-2012, 07:56 AM
I watched where ya stashed them, so ya may find a couple missing next time ya look!:bad_boys_20:

Carson13
02-16-2012, 10:08 AM
On the ticket it doesnt say that there are any earlybirds either?

SIMPS
02-16-2012, 12:54 PM
I'll be out there early Friday morning to get my spot where the winning fish will be caught.Iam going to brave it and pull my camper out on the ice my wife thinks iam nuts but that's how I roll or in this case swim lol.hope everyone has a good time and catches fish just not as big as the one I hope to get! :bad_boys_20:

Duster
02-16-2012, 01:03 PM
I got here this morn. Not to many shacks out yet. Weather is great. See everybody out here. Good luck to all

dennisb
02-16-2012, 02:26 PM
Anyone know how many weigh in stations there will be? Thought I'd be adventurous this year and fish the south end of the lake.

cdkeim
02-16-2012, 02:44 PM
5 stations, mostly at the north end, and you have to fish within 800m of one of the stations.

calgarygringo
02-16-2012, 03:03 PM
There was one parked on the edge where we drive on Jackfish last weekend. I have never been for derby so dont know if that shack stays there or they move it. Big white shack and well signed I noticed. I am going to tick all you guys off and go catch moby pike and post a big pic. The real story is we are just going to fish for the day,not the derby. Big mama is going to head for our line just so it is not the big winner .

cdkeim
02-16-2012, 03:37 PM
Have fun out there! Try and save at least one of those big mamas for me to win the derby with!!

Fishtracker
02-16-2012, 03:42 PM
Any ice reports as of today fella's??

Duster
02-16-2012, 05:31 PM
Were sitting on 17. But most the rest of the lake has at least 20.

mayuan
02-16-2012, 06:44 PM
Any tickets available?

WayneChristie
02-16-2012, 07:25 PM
Any tickets available?

I guess there are quite a few left, should be able to pick them up Saturday

SIMPS
02-16-2012, 07:30 PM
Were sitting on 17. But most the rest of the lake has at least 20.

Where r u fishing where it's only 17 iam planning on bringing my camper on the ice everywhere I tried on Monday in jackfish bay was around 20 hope the ice will hold.duster let's hope there are no *******es that go around stealing this year !

WayneChristie
02-16-2012, 07:34 PM
Where r u fishing where it's only 17 iam planning on bringing my camper on the ice everywhere I tried on Monday in jackfish bay was around 20 hope the ice will hold.duster let's hope there are no *******es that go around stealing this year !

dont try and drive on the ice from Jackfish to the launch, go by road, you likely wont make it on the ice, there is some bad ice on the outside of the islands

Dale S
02-16-2012, 07:42 PM
Anyone know how many weigh in stations there will be? Thought I'd be adventurous this year and fish the south end of the lake.

There is a weigh station at Jack Fish Bay and is the farthest south you can go. The rest are north of there along the east shore and the very north end of the lake.No fishing on the west & south shore.

SIMPS
02-16-2012, 08:02 PM
dont try and drive on the ice from Jackfish to the launch, go by road, you likely wont make it on the ice, there is some bad ice on the outside of the islands

Iam going to go straight to jackfish bay from gravel lease rd it's a good way to get on I've is solid there should b able to drive my camper on there with no problem lets hope u fishing jfb for the derby Wayne?

WayneChristie
02-16-2012, 08:27 PM
Iam going to go straight to jackfish bay from gravel lease rd it's a good way to get on I've is solid there should b able to drive my camper on there with no problem lets hope u fishing jfb for the derby Wayne?

maybe Sunday, Im starting at a secret location I fished a lot last winter, had some good luck there and no one fishes near it :bad_boys_20:

Duster
02-17-2012, 08:40 AM
Im in jackfish bay as well ice is good all in here we drove the diesel with the 20 ft shack. No prob.

cdkeim
02-17-2012, 08:49 AM
Duster, do they have the weigh station out in the middle of the bay or did they keep it over by the shore where you drive on?

Duster
02-17-2012, 06:35 PM
Its in the middle of the bay about 500 yards from me

WayneChristie
02-17-2012, 08:32 PM
just did a drive about, Reddelback is quiet, pumphouse is even quieter, and Jackfish quiet as well, lights on at the sailing club, didnt see any vehicles though, I imagine it going to be a zoo in the morning when everyone hits the lake. Didnt see any markers on the lake anywhere, maybe they put them out in the morning. Damn pressure ridge where I wanted to fish, have to go to plan B I guess, glad I stopped to talk to a couple guys on the ice, I didnt see it in the twilight. Amazed at how few shacks are on the ice this year compared to last, a whole town at Reddelback on the shore and few on the ice. Good luck everyone and be safe . and meave my MOBY alone!!!! :sHa_shakeshout:

calgarygringo
02-17-2012, 08:59 PM
How and where do they do the markers? When I was googling the derby I came across a map from a few years ago. Do they stay the same every year. If so I will love it as we will just be there for our regular fishing day and my spot is outside what is on that map. I am sure it will be crazy anyway but a little quieter zone would be nice.

Duster
02-17-2012, 09:02 PM
What was the winning weight last year? With all these 3 pound pike im catching i couldnt imagine it to be very high.

calgarygringo
02-17-2012, 09:12 PM
We have not caught moby but los in the 5-10 lbs in the last few weeks so I would imagine bitg mama is out there. The 10+lb I got last week had a huge bite mark so it must have ticked off something big as its bite size was scary looking.

WayneChristie
02-17-2012, 09:22 PM
I think it was just under 30 last year, are you on the right or the left when you drive on? only saw lights from a couple people when I drove on a little ways

WayneChristie
02-18-2012, 07:20 PM
So far the biggest Ive heard registered is just over 28 pounds.
Was looking for one particular fish today, Between my son my lady and myself today we saw 17 pike, iced 5 lost 5 or 6 more, and had a great day. Tomorrow we hunt Moby:shark:

calgarygringo
02-18-2012, 08:15 PM
We didnt fish the derby but was there in Jackfish. Turned out all the fishing was north of us so had the whole place to ourselves. Managed 5 keepers and 3 little guys . Biggest was just under 8 lbs so nice for a fry. Others were around 5 lbs and up. Stopped at the scale house on our way off and buddy told my partner he weighed in a 29, 25, and a 22 lb at that one today. I guess there are some mobys to be had.

WayneChristie
02-18-2012, 09:53 PM
Sunrise
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/sunrise1.jpg
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/blur.jpg
double header
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/doubleheader.jpg
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/DSCF4423.jpg
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/DSCF4426.jpg

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
02-18-2012, 11:22 PM
Git R Done Wayne .

Dale S
02-19-2012, 06:17 PM
Well did'nt catch the big one but won a couple of hats at the door prize draws. Landed 3 small ones missed 4 or 5.Got some free hand outs from the fish cops, keychains, measuring boards etc.Good weekend to be on the lake.Bigest one was 29lbs second 28.5lbs.

huntsfurfish
02-19-2012, 06:45 PM
How did you do wayne? Did you get the big girl?

SIMPS
02-19-2012, 07:04 PM
What a great weekend found a great spot on Monday and it produced all weekend long.6 of us there started pre fishing Friday and between us 30 pike where landed 25 saterday 10 on sunday biggest was 12 lbs but most of them where between 6 to 10 lbs.We never got the big one but alot of action and alot of fun all the fish we caught were released and unharmed.The weather was great on Friday windy on sat just a great day on Sunday the best weather and fishing I've ever had in a derby. We never won any money or prizes and that's ok cause it was just a great time and alot of fun with a great group of friends.

skiwili
02-19-2012, 07:36 PM
Hey Wayne, where is big mama?:)

martind25
02-19-2012, 08:11 PM
Hey SIMPS, sounds like you guys found the hunny hole, good for you guys! It was slow for us, only a few 5lb'ers all weekend. What a wind Saturday!

WayneChristie
02-20-2012, 10:46 AM
NO prizes for us, we tried for a tagged fish Saturday, then moved to Jackfish Sunday to try for the big fish. Did see one hit one of our baits, but didnt take it, and had one flag, othere than that it was dead slow. Did get to spend the weekend fishing with my oldest son, so I had a great time anyways. Thanks to ther dozens of vehicles parked on the lake, I now have some new areas to try out, good thing Im off work this week, give the fish a while to settle down then its game on!

cdkeim
02-20-2012, 11:16 AM
No derby winner here either. Slow day in Jackfish bay saturday, so switched it up to reddelback sunday and had a great day with good fishing, good weather and good company, but nothing over 5-6 lbs. Glad to see you walked away with something Dago. Gringo, how deep is it over where you are fishing? Everyone seems to huddle over by that deeper area of the bay, how deep are you at? I see you way over there where nobody else seems to want to fish and you generally do pretty well.
Chris

cdkeim
02-20-2012, 11:32 AM
another question, does anybody know where the winning fish came from? Was it jackfish bay or from another area? Thanks guys...and girls.

calgarygringo
02-20-2012, 11:37 AM
In our regular spot is 13.5 feet. Still no monsters and biggest was last week at just under 11 lbs but we seem to be good for 6-10 every week. Saturday was an 8 count in total 3 in the upper 50's and the rest were, one just under 5lbs and the rest were 5-8 lbs. We are having a big fry tonite ouselves and I believe my partner is feeding his army at his house today as well. We had several hits we didn't manage to get up the hole as well. Could've should've been an even bigger day maybe? That hole area we fish seems to be relatively the same depth give or take. Not real deep as the depth chart suggests but we seem to catch some nice fish every time out so how can that not be a good thing.

cdkeim
02-20-2012, 11:44 AM
Seems like a great spot. I was on your end of that big group of vehicles and the depth was similar, maybe a foot deeper. I thought you area might be shallower, but really doesnt vary much in depth through that area I guess. Thanks for the info!!

Carson13
02-20-2012, 11:44 AM
Me and my uncle both won white fish, he won the adult with a 4.9 pounder and i won the kids with a 3.3 pounder so all together we won 500 bucks!:sHa_shakeshout:

cdkeim
02-20-2012, 11:45 AM
nice job guys!!!! Congrats!!!

saddleup
02-20-2012, 11:46 AM
Hey Carson13,

Did you go to Newell last weekend? If so how did you do? Heard there were some whitefish caught... any luck ... :):):):):)
WOOOOPS LOOKS LIKE YOUR FASTER ON THE DRAW... CONGRATS ON THE WINNING FISH... YOU ARE ON HECK OF A GOOD FISHERMAN.. AND YOUR UNCLE IS JUST LUCKY...

whitetail Junkie
02-20-2012, 12:17 PM
Me and my uncle both won white fish, he won the adult with a 4.9 pounder and i won the kids with a 3.3 pounder so all together we won 500 bucks!:sHa_shakeshout:

Way to go kid!

WayneChristie
02-20-2012, 09:02 PM

congratulations to both of you! didnt see a single white all weekend on there, but I was looking for pikes

staytuned
02-21-2012, 01:30 PM
This year the derby organizers did a FANTASTIC job with the raffles. Best way to do things I have ever seen. We usually don't go to the awards after the derby b/c it takes so long to raffle off all the door prizes. This year was different and went WAY FASTER. We even won one of the 2 10" Jiffy augers up for prizes! Great job guys!:)

huntsfurfish
02-21-2012, 05:09 PM
Staytuned good to here!