PDA

View Full Version : driving on gull lake

malang
02-16-2012, 10:29 AM
hey guys going to gull this saturday just wondering what the driving conditions are like.not woried about ice thickness just how deep the snow is .if any body has been to wilsons beach accses any info would be nice..thanks:)

crazyperch
02-16-2012, 10:41 AM
I was out there this past Saturday. there is about 1-2" of hard packed snow, no problems getting around.

LACOMBE JACKSON
02-16-2012, 06:32 PM
hey guys going to gull this saturday just wondering what the driving conditions are like.not woried about ice thickness just how deep the snow is .if any body has been to wilsons beach accses any info would be nice..thanks:)

There is EASY access to the lake from Wilsons. Head South when you get on the ice.You'll see when you get there, where you need to go. Brownlows is even easier to get on. Go to the Northside of the first bay or keep heading North to the next point.You'll see why when you get there. There is at least 24" of ice. I've been fishing the lake for 20 or so years and I never ever seen so many actually driving right across(East to West). I would never advise anyone to do that.I feel it's a very foolish move. BUT, that's just my 2 bits.

Tyangelo
02-16-2012, 09:11 PM
You could ride a unicycle on the lake right now. (Actually, wouldn't mind seeing that every once in a while)

fish gunner
02-16-2012, 10:42 PM
You could ride a unicycle on the lake right now. (Actually, wouldn't mind seeing that every once in a while)

lol that would be roar.did you make it out last weekend.

shorthair ptr.
02-16-2012, 11:38 PM
I think I may have asked this once before but I never got a chance to give Gull a shot yet. Where is Brownlows? If yer say coming up from the south (Caroline). :thinking-006:

Tyangelo
02-17-2012, 12:28 AM
yep, sure did. Hit the north side. Whites were again, stubborn, but the pike action was great!

fish gunner
02-17-2012, 12:40 AM
got to your spot down south in time to get a flurry of pike and perch,2-5pm.the few I caught were returned back to the deep.

Kim473
02-17-2012, 06:15 AM
There is EASY access to the lake from Wilsons. Head South when you get on the ice.You'll see when you get there, where you need to go. Brownlows is even easier to get on. Go to the Northside of the first bay or keep heading North to the next point.You'll see why when you get there. There is at least 24" of ice. I've been fishing the lake for 20 or so years and I never ever seen so many actually driving right across(East to West). I would never advise anyone to do that.I feel it's a very foolish move. BUT, that's just my 2 bits.

Very few lakes that I would drive across the middle. Large lakes that take a while to freeze in the middle, The ice will not be as thick as near the shore lines say 500 yds out. You never know if there is an uderground stream out there also, keeping the ice thinner. I have seen a few lakes where the ducks and geese have kept some water open till late December. Hmm 6 weeks of ice, how thin could it be? This winter with a lot higher than normal temps??

I guess they will only learn after they drop a tire thru the ice once. I droped a tire thru the ice once, End of Jan, not this year, 200 yrds from shore, no weed beds, no creeks, -30 degrees for 2 weeks on a northern lake. Learned to respect it after that one. Scared the %%%% out of us. Every one jumped out of the truck before you could say holy %%%%

Now driving in the middle of the lake at 50 km, the lake would just swallow up the truck.