PDA

View Full Version : Cold Lake/Lake Trout info request...

Tyangelo
02-16-2012, 09:18 PM
Looking to try Cold Lake this year, and hopefully scratch a laker off of my bucket list. Don't know much about the species in general as far as habitat/preferred forage etc, other than they're deep in the summer. Would be much appreciated to be told here, (or PM'd) a little 101 on where to start as far as structure to look for, what to set up as far as rod/reel, line, and maybe a couple different lures to pick up.

Also looking for a decent, and safe place to access, as I've never been to the lake. Any help would be killer!

pickrel pat
02-16-2012, 09:20 PM
go to where all the trucks are.

35 whelen
02-17-2012, 08:24 AM
get some airplane jigs and white tube jigs 80 to 120 ft water good luck

C Taylor
02-17-2012, 08:38 AM
Just come fish beside me, everyone around me can catch fish lol. I'm starting to really hate this lake, I've caught two in the 5 days fishing there this year.

Mike_W
02-17-2012, 08:39 AM
10-20lb braided line as your main with a 20lb 12 ft fluorocarbon leader.

Teamprotz
02-17-2012, 10:28 AM
Go back and search all old Cold Lake threads , they should answer all your questions. Everyone is pretty open about spots and techniques , unlike other lakes and species. When are you planning on going ?

Tyangelo
02-17-2012, 07:25 PM
Don't worry, did my share of searching. Was just wondering if lakers are more susceptible to different times of the year as far as habitat and forage.

Teamprotz
02-17-2012, 07:47 PM
Any day can be a good day. I like sunny , seems the fish are more active. Follow the crowd as everyone says , the fish usually aren't too far away. Electronics are a must. I fish in a tent , increases sensitivity and keeps the reel and braid working better together. I get most of my fish within 10 ft of bottom but have got them right under the ice too. Favorite depth for me is 125 , for no particular reason. I like bait of some sort , minnow , smelt etc. Mornings are usually better.

sheepstalker
02-17-2012, 08:02 PM
Its hard to locate habitat and forage in 100' of water, you need to know the lay of the lake......underwater ridges and humps. Get a flasher it will greatly improve your success rate

7mmremmag
02-18-2012, 06:54 AM
Go to Wholesale Sports North Edmonton and ask for the "Cold Lake Special"
As far as where to fish, like it was stated earlier if you dont know the lake just follow all the trucks! Kinda like salmon fishing on the west coast if youve ever down that??? One guy hooks into one and everyone comes running! hahaha

I found a white jig head and white 4" grub, tipped with a minnow, works well, or an airplane jig in any assortment of colors.
Goodluck, once you catch one youll be hooked!!!
If you want any info on fishing them in open water shoot me a pm. Ive been fishing them in cold lake for almost 10 years

odt@olddadtaylor.com
11-08-2012, 01:14 PM
take a boo at olddadtaylor.com for some lake
trout jig lures 1oz-4oz. I turn out a few in Edmonton
and special order small production moulds for specialty
jigs.
MT

tight line
11-08-2012, 02:24 PM
X2 on the flasher! I got one and they are well worth the money! Also make sure you have LOTS of line on a normal size spinning reel, with good drag, ive got some big boys right under the ice and they usually go right to bottom!

LCCFisherman
11-08-2012, 02:29 PM
Cold lake is DEAD! Fishing has been super slow!

Guitarplayingfish
11-08-2012, 02:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMi7bAg20cM&list=FLH_sNX-KHmDT3Iup6_gdZ6A&index=4&feature=plpp_video

LCCFisherman
11-08-2012, 02:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMi7bAg20cM&list=FLH_sNX-KHmDT3Iup6_gdZ6A&index=4&feature=plpp_video

That was 15 years ago.. fishing like that doesn't exist anymore. I'd go fish KEHO

savethesalmon
11-08-2012, 02:39 PM
Lakers are sparce in cold lake too many fishermen

Guitarplayingfish
11-08-2012, 02:39 PM
That was 15 years ago.. fishing like that doesn't exist anymore. I'd go fish KEHO

hahaha.

Whatever man, Cold lake is a great fishery and you know it. If I had the chance I would be all over it.

Although Dan-"dur" told me its been real slow last while... I'd still fish it though.. Not many other places your gonna see lakers like that.

Also - Flasher is key to that lake from what I have heard.

LCCFisherman
11-08-2012, 02:45 PM
I heard a rumour of 3!!! I said 3 northerns caught over 30lbs this past week at KEHO LAKE!!!!!!!!!! Hot damn! Get your tip ups ready boys!

dodgeboy1979
11-08-2012, 02:46 PM
2 ounce white bucktail jig tipped with a smelt. I found the best time to fish is from about 11am to 3pm in about 120 feet of water. Straight off the boat launch east to the middle of the lake.

Guitarplayingfish
11-08-2012, 02:49 PM
I heard a rumour of 3!!! I said 3 northerns caught over 30lbs this past week at KEHO LAKE!!!!!!!!!! Hot damn! Get your tip ups ready boys!

Thats bs... its not even fishable right now... :snapoutofit:

LCCFisherman
11-08-2012, 02:57 PM
If you look in the back of the regulations theres a picture of a guy with one of these 30lb northerns.. He supposidly knows where all these big girls stack up. I'd be calling him up for directions or guide services!!

Guitarplayingfish
11-08-2012, 03:02 PM
If you look in the back of the regulations theres a picture of a guy with one of these 30lb northerns.. He supposidly knows where all these big girls stack up. I'd be calling him up for directions or guide services!!

hahaha.

Your full of sh*t bud.

If I were you I would be terrified to travel south.. Your gonna get yours.

npauls
11-08-2012, 03:12 PM
Erik let them all head to Keho and catch them stinky slimy fish.

We can go after the perch, eyes, and bows.

Guitarplayingfish
11-08-2012, 03:16 PM
Erik let them all head to Keho and catch them stinky slimy fish.

We can go after the perch, eyes, and bows.

hahaha. I suppose your right...

Lookin forward to perch and trout fishin...

call me a noob, but I still haven't caught a walleye through the ice...

fisherman420
11-08-2012, 03:28 PM
Cold lake is DEAD! Fishing has been super slow!

Hes right! fishing has only slowed down there every year for the past 10 years. better chances catching jumbos in hasse lake

208prov
11-08-2012, 03:36 PM
here ill get somebody going, I am gonna set 40 nets in march and catch as many lake trout and whitefish and brbot as possible in 1 day with my dad, It has been commercial fished for years and now the anglers are hurting the fishermans lively hood, Just remember, But oh yea its just the anglers lake, If they want to shut us down pay us out like they did to the guys in alberta. This otta get some frouns!!!!!!!!

Teamprotz
11-09-2012, 08:33 AM
You really had to go there ?

tight line
11-09-2012, 10:03 AM
Itsbeen commercial fished and sport fished hard for years. Its a well managed lake, bottom line. I never have problems finding or catching fish!

fish99
11-09-2012, 12:39 PM
lets all put nets in and clean the lake out of fish.

EZM
11-09-2012, 08:17 PM
here ill get somebody going, I am gonna set 40 nets in march and catch as many lake trout and whitefish and brbot as possible in 1 day with my dad, It has been commercial fished for years and now the anglers are hurting the fishermans lively hood, Just remember, But oh yea its just the anglers lake, If they want to shut us down pay us out like they did to the guys in alberta. This otta get some frouns!!!!!!!!

Why would you post something just to get a negative reaction or pick a fight?

nice ........... just what the forum needs more of.:argue2::angry3: