PDA

View Full Version : Auger Recommendations?

Kevwood
02-16-2012, 11:26 PM
I have been fishing for the past 20 years with an 8" Eskimo...the power/performance isn't there anymore (even with fresh blades) and it is starting to slip pretty good. I think it is time to lay her to rest, she doesn't owe me anything...

I want to go to 10" and looking for something thats cuts fairly quick(less time punching holes more time fishing)and have been web browsing for info, seems it is between Strikemaster, Jiffy and Eskimo? Do I need the bigger engine for the 10" hole? Or how big? I know Tim The Toolman would tell me I need the Binford 6100 Ice Destroyer ... "MORE POWER" I'm a little out of date in auger technology...are all the cc's necessary? or is there other considerations than power? 40:1 seems like a pretty standard ratio for most of the augers out there. The overall weight is not a concern, I see some of the Strikemaster units with the electronic ignition...I'm a fan of that already. Warranty? Fuel consumption? Reliability? Ease of starting? What do you use and what would you recommend? I have only run 1 Auger in my life and have nothing to compare it to...any and all information/recommendations are appreciated.

Kev

HunterDave
02-16-2012, 11:45 PM
I spent almost a year researching power augers, asking for opinions (like you) and waiting for the right deal which I found on Boxing Day. I was looking for an 8" auger though and I found that Eskimo had the best bang for the buck. I ended up buying a 51cc Shark.

Strikemaster seemed to be a higher end power auger and with that comes a higher end price. It seemed to me that models comparable to Eskimo and Jiffy were more expensive.

Eskimo and Jiffy are comparably priced. What swayed me towards the Eskimo was that the auger was a little longer so the likelihood of not needing an extension was better. I might get flamed for this but I also heard that the Jiffy's might be a bit harder to start when it's really cold.

My 51cc would likely power a 10" auger okay but it sounds to me that you'd be happier with a 71cc. The 10", 71cc Eskimo Sharks are on sale at WSS right now for $370.

Kevwood
02-16-2012, 11:56 PM
I did check that one out earlier...the only thing that is a little discouraging is the 25:1 ratio...I quite often wonder out on the lake(with the auger I have) If there was a race to ten holes drilled...would the guy with the hand auger beat me? lol....seriously though it seems like I am getting outdrilled 2:1 by surrounding fishermen and it may be the shape of my current Eskimo, but I sure would like to get something faster...thx for the info.

mike_samoil
02-17-2012, 12:02 AM
i have an 8'' jiffy bought new two seasons ago and its awsome. Handles a metre of ice no problem. Really happy with it

madatter
02-17-2012, 12:44 AM
I've had the Eskimo Z71 Shark for a few years now and it definitely does not lack power.
It does however have fragile blades that I have changed 3 times in the 2 years.
Also changed the pilot point a few times as it sits in a plastic sleeve that gets loose and affects drilling performance.
Start great,cuts like crazy when blades are new....
Good thing blades are only $20 on sale.
Love the Eskimo motor...
Love the durability of Jiffy Ripper blades(owned one for 15 years)
I have not tried a newer Jiffy or Strikemaster....
If you can get out and try some newer models that would give ya a better idea of what to expect...

Kim473
02-17-2012, 05:08 AM
Love my Eskimo mako 8" They do make it in a 10" Wish I had a the 10" Same engine in both.

Outcast 1100
02-17-2012, 06:20 AM
eskimo z71, dont even question the thought of getting anything else. 2 feet of ice and it zips right through it with very little effort on your end.

madatter
02-17-2012, 06:22 AM
Love my Eskimo mako 8" They do make it in a 10" Wish I had a the 10" Same engine in both.

All the Eskimos have the Viper engines but the Mako is 43cc while the Z71 is 71cc.
Wonder how much of a difference those cc's makes....In the 10" that I have I would think a lot!

CeeZee
02-17-2012, 06:46 AM
I went thru this beginning of last year, I chose to keep my old power head and buy a new bit, all the parts including the crank and cylinder etc are rebuildable. My auger didnt see too many holes b4 i got it i think, the new quantum bits are not cheap tho! But my auger handles the quantum 10" like nothing, and cuts really good even with the slower gear ratio, the quantums have the double blades so double the cutting edge! I read too much about the durablilty of the new ones to decide to keep my oldie.
The carb setting really can rob your power and make it slip(IMO) so perhaps doin a bit of setting on a op temp motor may help. But all my research did point me to the Z71 if I could not get the bit for mine.

Geezle
02-17-2012, 08:03 AM
I did check that one out earlier...the only thing that is a little discouraging is the 25:1 ratio...I quite often wonder out on the lake(with the auger I have) If there was a race to ten holes drilled...would the guy with the hand auger beat me? lol....seriously though it seems like I am getting outdrilled 2:1 by surrounding fishermen and it may be the shape of my current Eskimo, but I sure would like to get something faster...thx for the info.

I'll only add one thing regarding the turning ratio.

I have an older 8" Eskimo IceStorm 33 (The Stingray before it was called the Stingray) and even though it turns a little slower than say, your average Jiffy, I can practically sit on top of this thing, and it WILL NOT power out.

The motor is also super reliable :)

t3metro
02-17-2012, 08:07 AM
25:1 spins almost twice as fast as 40:1 just want to make that clear as it sounds like you have the impression its slower. The 71cc engine allows them to not have to gear it down so much to get the needed power.

javlin101
02-17-2012, 08:44 AM
i have an 8'' jiffy bought new two seasons ago and its awsome. Handles a metre of ice no problem. Really happy with it

x2

Bobby B.
02-17-2012, 08:49 AM
At the start of winter this year, I purchased a StrikeMaster Lazer Mag 10" based on two factors. One, I chose the SM because the Solo engine is German engineering and I believe German engineering to be superior. Two, the SM drills through the ice as opposed to chiseling through as do other brands.

Many have stated how their auger always starts with a pull or two, mine requires quite a few more pulls than that. However, I'm new to ice fishing plus this is my first power auger so I do believe my inexperience is a factor. If I was for forced to tell the truth, I'd have to admit to attempting to start my auger without first switching it on.

As for cutting through ice, my SM cuts fast enough to suit my needs. I haven't 'raced' another auger but can't see how another could cut so much faster as to compell me to replace my SM.

Another factor is the amount of noise produced by the engine. Again, I've never been close to another auger cutting a hole but I can say my SM doesn't hurt my ears at all.

I realize this some of this sounds vague, but perhaps others will provide a more complete comparison.

Bobby B.

dwedmon
02-17-2012, 09:03 AM
I had a Strikemaster and used it for about 8 years. Never had any problems with it. I then switched to one of the new Jiffy's last season. The new Jiffy's have way too much plastic and break easily. Mine's already broken after a little over a year of use. Parts take a couple of weeks to order so my auger has been useless dead weight for most of this season.

The new Jiffy's are also a bit harder to start when cold. Once its up and warmed up its fine but I could have easily drilled 2 holes with my old strikemaster before even being to start the Jiffy.

I have to admit though, the Jiffy blades seem really good. My Strikemaster blades never lasted long and no local places sharpen them.

Walleyemagnet
02-17-2012, 09:04 AM
I have the Strikemaster Lazer Mag 10 inch. I love the thing. I routinely drill 50 to100 holes or more and this thing just sings! After 2 seasons its only now showing that it needs new blades. With new blades it'll drill 30 inches in 12 seconds. I only wish Wholesale would've had the Lazer Pro when I bought mine because I would've definitely paid the extra $50 for the bigger engine. I think they're a little more spendy than the other brands but from what I see they are the ticket. Buddy of mine bought a Jiffy the same time I got mine. He has since converted to Strikemaster.

madatter
02-17-2012, 09:07 AM
eskimo z71, dont even question the thought of getting anything else. 2 feet of ice and it zips right through it with very little effort on your end.

Yes the Eskimo's require little or no downforce to work.....when the blades are good!
Just hang on and the auger does it's thing.
My old Jiffy 30 10" on the hand requires considerable downforce to continue to cut but the blades last forever!:angry3:
A friends 8" Jiffy does not require as much downforce tho.
Do the newer Jiffy's still require that downforce?
Jiffys blade design hasn't changed so I would assume so...

stompit
02-17-2012, 09:25 AM
I went from the Jiffy 10'' 4 stroke propane auger back to the 2 stroke. Was very dissapointed with the reliability of the jiffy. (maybe a lemmon) but would not recommend it. The propane seemed to be very finikey. Replaced it with the Z71 Eskimo. This is definitely the most powerful auger I have used. A bit heavy but cuts very fast. Best bang for the buck aswell. I think you will have trouble finding one at WSS though because they are back ordered and told me that there won't be anymore until next season. I purchased mine at Canadian Tire and they price matched WSS regular price. 429.99

mayuan
02-17-2012, 09:30 AM
I just copy and paste my last responces to this question in

My vote goes to the Strikemaster.

no issues no problems. One good feature about the type of blade on the strikemaster is the drilling of connected holes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since the last post I have only had one issue and with the unit out of warranty Strikemaster sent me all new parts for free again (little rubber feet kept falling off and they replaced the frame of the unit with the updated version without the rubber feet). Till the next time someone asks what auger to buy!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess I will put in my two cents....

StrikeMaster 10" Lazer Mag 2.5hp Power Auger is running a German engine on a Swedish auger blade. When I was looking for an auger this year this is the one I bought. From what I was reading the Jiffy is using a new chinese motor not the old reliable techumsa engine (techumsa went out of buisness). And the other augers just didn't feel right. The only issue I had with the auger before I bought it was the plastic on it. Then I found out what it was, Tufflite Dupont Zytel, the same stuff used on a lot of military equiptment to bring the weight down. And that is a good thing!

As far as using the unit, I have drilled about 100 holes with no issues. The shaft bolt loosens after about 30 holes and needs to be tightened. My auger also starts and runs at -20C better than I do.

Almost forgot, the unit is lighter then most other units.

I hope this helps.....

Jan 2011 update

Still very happy with the StrikeMaster auger. I did have one issue with the pull cord on the top. The recoil wasn't working well and the cord got wrapped around the top of the guide causing it to get stuck. This was on Spray of course after a 30min hike to the fishing location. I took out my pliers and proceeded to rip chunks out of the top bezel till I freed the pull cord and had it working. Once I was home I called StrikeMaster told them what I did pliers and all. StrikeMaster promptly sent me out a new recoil assembly and top bezel for free.

I was able to start the auger with no issue at -28 this year also.

knielson
02-17-2012, 10:01 AM
Hands down the best auger I have used or seen, Starts in -20 to -30 no problem, no mixing gas/oil...awesome auger.

Mike_W
02-17-2012, 10:18 AM
Been hearing pretty good things about the jiffy propane 4 stroke....quite, starts easy clean burning no gassy hands.

If you do any semi permanent shack fishing where redrilling of holes is done or where you need to run a auger inside the clean burning propane is nice but the jiffy because of its chipper style blades is also the only auger that can reopen old holes without an issue.

Mike

Kevwood
02-17-2012, 10:29 AM
Thx for the info guys...I was up to the wee hours of the morning researching a little more...It didn't even clue in to me that the 25:1 was a faster ratio(just assumed by the "appearance" that the strikemaster was turning faster in videos.) I watched some drilling comparison "races" on YouTube and it seems it would be between the Strikemaster Lazer Mag and the Eskimo Shark Z71...both seem to have good reviews and good speed in demonstrations...from what I saw. I can't complain about my old Eskimo, but it did have the Tecumseh engine and I see they are nolonger...I'll be doing some heavy checking for a few days and then try to find what I decide on, seems the good products should be low in stock this time of year...one thing is I will be sure not to let a sale price of a lesser auger influence my decision...thanks again for the testimonials and recommendations.

stompit
02-17-2012, 10:36 AM
Forget to mention that the Z71 has been tested in -42c with no issues. Cant say the propane will start in that weather unless you keep the bottles in the warmth.

Hunter Trav
02-17-2012, 10:48 AM
No matter what auger you buy, it will still be slower then my icegator...LOL :D

madatter
02-17-2012, 10:55 AM

What kind of blades come on the Gator and how durable are they?
I could really care less how fast an auger cuts....they are all close when it comes to higher hp gassers.
Ease of use and dependability are more important to me than speed.

Hunter Trav
02-17-2012, 11:42 AM
The gator only comes as a power head, no auger included. You can use any type of auger you want with it, either a new one or one you already have. They send an adapter for whichever type you choose. They did it that way I guess for guys who are upgrading their hand augers or switching from gas to electric, since they are not affiliated with any auger manufacturers. I have mine on a older Mora auger, so it has the sweep style shaver blades I guess. Very easy to resharpen, and you can buy them anywhere. Mine is only the 8" model, but they no have one that will handle a 10" auger.

Dark Horn
02-17-2012, 05:00 PM
I have a z71 and it drills like crazy. Had to figure out its starting quirk but now that I did starts quite easily. If I buy another I will go with a strike master laser pro. 2 buddies have it and it drills like crazy too.

TJG
02-17-2012, 05:07 PM
I went from the Jiffy 10'' 4 stroke propane auger back to the 2 stroke. Was very dissapointed with the reliability of the jiffy. (maybe a lemmon) but would not recommend it. The propane seemed to be very finikey. Replaced it with the Z71 Eskimo. This is definitely the most powerful auger I have used. A bit heavy but cuts very fast. Best bang for the buck aswell. I think you will have trouble finding one at WSS though because they are back ordered and told me that there won't be anymore until next season. I purchased mine at Canadian Tire and they price matched WSS regular price. 429.99

I have one question, do u need 10". To me its over kill, and a bit dangerous for oldtimes and children, ever put ur leg down a 10" hole?
Also the weight of a 71cc 10" is a bit much.
The 33cc is an awesome 8"and the 43cc comes in 8 & 10 inch.

Tyangelo
02-17-2012, 07:18 PM
I agree. Owned my Stingray 33cc for over 3 years, have drilled between 150-200 holes, and it's never bogged down, never slipped, and the blades are original, and still pretty sharp. The nice thing, is because of the smaller size of the power head, I can fit it no problem in a hatchback, etc.

w_worbeck
02-17-2012, 08:07 PM
I have just been given a 8" tanaka it's an early 80's all i needed was a carb job and it's back alive so light and cuts like a dream .

stinkynuts
02-17-2012, 08:10 PM
I bought a Z51 this fall and it handels the 10" auger no proablem starts very easy and runs great the thing I like about the Eskimo is when you are comeing to the bottom of the hole it just seems to punch through no proablem with other augers I found they would jam abit and you would have to pull up or let off not with the Eskimo the big pull cord handle is nice if you have big mittens on I prime mine 2-3 times choke pull it starts everytime I am not a big fan of SM yes they a light but i find are prone to blade issue and have to be shimed or once and awhile you get a bad batch of blades and the dges roll etc there is nothing wrong with a Jif in my mind but they arent an Eskimo

Kevwood
02-17-2012, 09:38 PM
I think you will have trouble finding one at WSS though because they are back ordered and told me that there won't be anymore until next season. I purchased mine at Canadian Tire and they price matched WSS regular price. 429.99

HunterDave thanks for the lead at WSS and stompit thanks for the pricematch idea for CT...I picked up the Z71 tonight from the West end CT(grabbed their last one) and will try it tomorrow morning, I actually got a good buy on something I needed/wanted...WOW. They pricematched WSS sale price of $369.88....CT is way out to lunch on their reg price at$569.00? The Mgr was convinced it was a different auger until I went to the eskimo website and showed him they only make one 71cc auger. Maybe I'll post a vid of the performance difference from the new one and my old girl tomorrow? Can't wait to hit the Redneck Auger Olympics in the am...oh yeah and maybe catch some lunkers....thanks for all the info and posts guys....much appreciated.

stinkynuts
02-17-2012, 09:40 PM
Wow good for you on getting the price match you will love that auger

Kevin_Thunder
02-17-2012, 09:57 PM

x2, love mine :D

Gorillaspice
02-19-2012, 11:21 AM
I bought a rapala from Canadian tire. I don't have a lot to compare it to but it chews ice.
Like a dummy i bought it on sale with no research. I got lucky and love it. My fishing buddies have been around more augers in thier time, and seem to be pretty impressed with it.