PDA

View Full Version : Rod length?

Bush
02-16-2012, 11:30 PM
Does length matter? lol

Seriously though
I just buy mid priced medium action rods.
My question is what does the length of the rod do?and what is recommended for slow trolling for pike or just bottom bouncing for walleye

I just bought a whuppin'stick because I liked the name lol
WSSM90-2. 9'0". Medium action. When I got it home and put it together I can't believe how long that looks. So my other question is what is this rod meant for?

huntin'fool
02-16-2012, 11:36 PM
lol, you must have BGSH's unlimited gear budget!!

horsetrader
02-16-2012, 11:44 PM
Does length matter? lol

Seriously though
My question is what does the length of the rod do?and what is recommended for slow trolling for pike or just bottom bouncing for walleye

WSSM90-2. 9'0". Medium action. When I got it home and put it together I can't believe how long that looks. So my other question is what is this rod meant for?

Tarpon and lakers did you buy just the rod or the salt combo?

Bush
02-16-2012, 11:46 PM
Well my wife complains about the money I spend on fishing (JUNK she calls it) my response is I could have a lot worse habits or addictions!

FishingFrenzy
02-17-2012, 09:01 AM
Well my wife complains about the money I spend on fishing (JUNK she calls it) my response is I could have a lot worse habits or addictions!

Just complain about how much she spends on shoes, clothes and groceries.

That should shut her up....or it could very well earn you a night in the "doghouse"

:sHa_sarcasticlol:

9' spinning rod, thats pretty long. What action is it? If its M or M/H that wouldn't be bad for casting for pike. Heck if its M/H you have yourself a great rod for sturgeon or monster pike.

TROLLER
02-17-2012, 09:11 AM
Does length matter? lol

Seriously though

While that 9 may work for noodling, I think your best bet is a single piece 6ft. med action for bottom bouncing or trolling. If it is jigging then you should look more to a 6 1/2 light action but no use unless you are gonna pair it with a light reel something like the Shimano CI

Jwood 456
02-17-2012, 11:14 AM
I would go for a 6 ft medium action rod. If storage space isn't a concern, I would go with a 1 piece rod. I find that it's alot easier to feel the strikes with the 1 pieces as opposed to the 2 pieces. I find that using too long of a rod can cause unnecessary leverage while jigging or bottom bouncing. While, using too short of a rod would take away from keeping pressure on the hook and keeping the fish away from things such as the boat motor. A medium action would also be enough so that it would be fun to reel in a 3llb walleye and could still handle a 15+lb pike.

Bush
02-17-2012, 06:58 PM
So is it a rule then that bigger fish use a bigger rod?

Cal
02-17-2012, 07:49 PM
So is it a rule then that bigger fish use a bigger rod?

Not realy, while the extra length can sometimes help controll large fish in certain situations the stiffness of the rod is what makes it suited to larger or smaller fish for the most part, not the length. I've heard it said that shorter rods are easyer to cast acuratly and longer rods are better for fishing live bait and fishing from shore, I'll buy that. I've fished with 7'-8 1/2' most of my life and prefer longer rods, especily on a baitcasting rig. In europe the rods they call "boat rods" are longer than most rods that even a shorebound angler would concider using on this side of the pond and 10' 12 foot rods are the usual for fishing from shore, once again with stiffness being the deciding factor in what size of fish the rod is suitible for and not length.

Bush
02-17-2012, 08:37 PM
So maybe the length helps to cast farther but less precision?

This rod is definitely not stiff.

Deano85
02-17-2012, 09:25 PM
I have the 10' medium, its too long to land fish in a boat by myself. Rod is fiberglass and very flexible. I'd make a good shore bait fishing rod, float / carolina rig. Or maybe trolling.

fish gunner
02-17-2012, 09:48 PM
there are a few factors to a rod,weight m/h,u/l.action/speed, quick or slow and style of curve tip or butt.mooching rods may be 10' long and of a heavy weight how ever the curve is in the butt and they tend to have a slow action. a 10'float rod may be ultra light with a quick action and a tip curve.trying to cast a mooching rod will be as ineffective as trolling with a float rod.

Cal
02-18-2012, 06:24 PM
So maybe the length helps to cast farther but less precision?

This rod is definitely not stiff.

It might be meant for trolling, downrigging rods in particular are very flexible with a slow action. When I was a shorebound kid I bought the first 8' rod that became availible in our little town expecting to gain casting distance. It was flexible right through to the butt with very little backbone. It was easyer to toss a conventional bobber rig or other long bait rig with but I probably actualy lost casting distance, it was nice for fighting fish but you realy had to reef on it to get a good hookset. I still have that rod in my shed as a loaner but I'd feel too guilty to actualy make someone else use it. Downrigging rods arent much good for anything else IMO.