PDA

View Full Version : pike on the fly.

rottik9
02-17-2012, 03:57 AM
I have fished for salmon and trout, on the fly....and tried to fish pike with the same gear. I had a hard time casting the big flies. If anyone viewing this has any recommendations around gear needed to try this, please let me know. I have watched it on utube and it looks like a lot of fun.

Rabadswompe
02-17-2012, 04:24 AM
I've caught some small one with my trout rig, floating line and a simple strip of white rabbit fur ... was aiming for bass but hey... a fight is a fight!

Mxyzptik
02-17-2012, 06:09 AM
Casting big flies is tough but the proper gear can help you a lot. You need a good big rod with lots of back bone but perhaps more important is the fly line. One with a short front taper so it turns over quickly is what I found helped me cast the big flies.

catnthehat
02-17-2012, 06:21 AM
I have fished for them off and since I got m first fly rod at age 12.
Used everything on them from mice to streamers, and floating lines to sinkers.
My pick is a fiberglass 8weight and a fairly large streamer , but nothing so big as to be ungainly.
I tried the mega divers and stuff,, and to be honest, unless you are in trophy waters , you can get them with a Mickey Finn tied on a larger 3366 Sproat hook or a similar sized hook .
They don't have to be fancy, and neither does your gear.
I use glass because at Times I have to horse them out of big weeds or timber when I'm fishing the small tributaries around here, and the the river is veruy silty, so expensive lines and rods get worn as fast as cheap ones.
Cat

Lefty-Canuck
02-17-2012, 06:32 AM
For a rod I use between a 8-10wt with matching (same weight) weight forward floating line. Salt water mono for a leader. You can also find some "species specific" lines that work well. Casting technique I use is either single or double haul....pretty basic. I tie my own flys and use 3/0 eye level hooks with a 4-6 inch streamer. Spring pike is the most fun you can have with your waders on!

Personally......I think 7wt is as low as I would go as although an epic 30minute plus fight is exciting it can play the fish to death

LC

Mxyzptik
02-17-2012, 06:34 AM
I have fished for them off and since I got m first fly rod at age 12.
Used everything on them from mice to streamers, and floating lines to sinkers.
My pick is a fiberglass 8weight and a fairly large streamer , but nothing so big as to be ungainly.
I tried the mega divers and stuff,, and to be honest, unless you are in trophy waters , you can get them with a Mickey Finn tied on a larger 3366 Sproat hook or a similar sized hook .
They don't have to be fancy, and neither does your gear.
I use glass because at Times I have to horse them out of big weeds or timber when I'm fishing the small tributaries around here, and the the rib=ver is veru silty, so expensive lines and rods get worn as fast as cheap ones.
Cat

I agree Cat, mine rod is a stout ffibreglass rod that was my Dad's. I don't know who made it as there are no marking but it has the beautiful patterned lacing that you don't see anymore. The most fun I ever had with it was at Tobin Lake casting a big deer hair mouse but man I was wicked dangerous with it. You had to make sure and wear a brimmed hat so you didn't take yout ear off. Good thing I pinched the barbs on that mouse as my son had to extricate it from between my shoulder blades.

The short front taper was taught to me by Chris Sepio at that big fly fishing show in Calgary. After I did that I was able to get things under control a great deal easier.

catnthehat
02-17-2012, 06:39 AM
The rod I use most , believe it or not, is the same rod I got when I was 12!!
it's a Heddon Pal, and it has been oressed into service on three fly in trips when I broke graphites ( two up north for pike and one to Mexico).
I use a short leader of 40lb Mason line and a very short wire tippet on my lines.
The Mason turns over super.
I've re-guided that old Heddon twice now!
Cat

Whiskey Wish
02-17-2012, 07:34 AM
I used to take my canoe and sit just off the weeds and cast either a mouse or my home made version of a duckling (it was truly ugly...) just into the edge of the weed bed.

At times there was truly explosive action as the pike would come completely out of the water they would hit those lures so hard. I even caught a couple of walleye with those home made lures. But yeah...really hard on equipment!

It sure felt good though getting back on soft water after 6 months of looking at fools fishing hard water.
Regards,
Dave.

canadianhunter
02-17-2012, 06:01 PM
Definitely 8-10wt and then throw everything big and ugly at them. Streamers, poppers, mice, even big chronomids. First one I ever caught was at the west Lethbridge trout pond. Thought I tied into a big brookie but then it started rolling on me. Five pound pike, belly full of fingerlings. Would like to know who thought that was a good idea?
As far as distance for casting, I have found 20-30 feet is fine. Slowly walk the reeds and other cover. The pike will be there. I've had large pike come right into shallow water where their backs were out of water.
Some patience, lots of flies, and tough leader is all you need.
Have fun!

Jayhad
02-17-2012, 06:12 PM
Rio Pike Line, casts huge double bunnies with ease
http://www.rioproducts.com/fly-lines/freshwater/specialty/pike

gilbertslake
02-17-2012, 06:40 PM
Rio Pike Line, casts huge double bunnies with ease
http://www.rioproducts.com/fly-lines/freshwater/specialty/pike

Just bought one of these in a WF10F I can't wait to use it this summer.

I have a 10 WT Cortland 444 shooting head which turns over # 2 Bombers for Atlantic salmon quite well, but I feel it would not handle big rabbit strip flies too good, so I decided to get the Rio.

I have also ordered this book http://www.pikeflyguy.com/ As I don't want to spend half of the summer figuring things out. I hope it has the info I need for pike.

I have now filled a box with Dahlberg Divers, Bunny Leeches, Popper flies, Mice patterns and big marabou flies. so I am ready to go.

35 whelen
02-17-2012, 07:07 PM
have done lots of fishing for pike in waters that were clear didnt need to cast to far mostly sight fishing ,i used 4to6in streamers with sinktip line ,black and yellow were always good ,i used 9wt 2peice loomis 9ft rod with sth reel good luck

rottik9
02-17-2012, 09:40 PM
Thank you all, for your feedback...im sure to use the advise this spring.

BeeGuy
02-17-2012, 09:42 PM
A tippet and leader with similar stiffness can make a difference when casting.

Justanotherbuck2
02-17-2012, 11:38 PM
We fish pike on the fly all the time, but I prefer a number ten rod so I have enough backbone to bring it in within a reasonable time, we practice catch and release so I don't want the fish to be worn out, Large colorful streamers ,lots of red and yellow maribou nothing under three inches, short casts from the boat into the weed banks , my largest to date 42inches close to 32 lbs, a buddy of mine got one a couple of years ago that I posted on here at 48inches close to an Alberta record but just off, we never weighed her.

Dust1n
02-18-2012, 09:39 AM
8wt with wt forward floating line in the spring.
Black or white and another color seem to work best for me.
Flies that push water will get you the most hits so your best bet is the bunny leech all beefed up. Flies that don't collect water will make it easier to cast so flies made from crystal flash are also productive.As soon as you see the wake behind your fly start stripping harder/faster as this will get the chase on. Sightfishing them with black leechs work too quite effectively. Iv never seen a spring pike refuse one. Also dont be afraid to throw your streamer a few inches from shore as the pike and walleye will chase schools of minnows there and feed up. Double Bunnies, Bunny Leech, Bull Dawg are some of my favorite patterns

You may wonder where to fish...you want to fish in the warmest water of the lake so scout out black or darker bottom because that extra few degrees or so will speed up the pikes metabolism making them more aggressive then the other places in the lake.

Lornce
02-18-2012, 11:41 AM
for a great many years I used an 8 ft 8 wt Fenwick fiberglass rod. Last 4 years its been a 12.5 ft 6 wt Spey rod with heads. I find it much easier to punch out large flies especially in wind.

Doc
02-18-2012, 11:02 PM
Here's a couple of links you may find useful.

Article: Got Pike? (http://www.flyfishingtechniques.co/fly-fishing-techniques-for-trout/2011/01/fly-fishing-pike/)

Video: Pike On The Fly (http://www.albertastillwaters.com/apps/videos/videos/show/6510100-fall-pike-on-the-fly)

Cheers,
Doc

CantThinkOfAName
02-19-2012, 07:42 PM
Where do you guys pick up some of those monster flies? I don't recall seeing big pike flies last time I was at FH or WS.

Dust1n
02-19-2012, 07:43 PM
You dont buy them. You tie them and it takes little skill to tie them too!

gilbertslake
02-19-2012, 10:02 PM
Where do you guys pick up some of those monster flies? I don't recall seeing big pike flies last time I was at FH or WS.

If you check on the Icky Fly Works banner in the top adds and go to the streamers section, they have double bunnies in # 2 that should work.

I just tied up some # 2/0 marabou flies on wide gape hooks and added weed guards and clipped deer hair heads. I am hoping the pike find them appetizing :sHa_shakeshout:

Muskeg
02-19-2012, 10:04 PM
what weight rods do you have and we can try to match a line. where about's do you live and maybe someone can take you out.

pikeslayer22
02-19-2012, 10:09 PM
Top water action for Pike is the best!