PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest Dog Food

sleslie
02-28-2008, 04:24 PM
I think i have decided to try dog food for baiting bears this spring, does anyone know of a really cheap ( or free ) place to get some in cental alberta. I don't want to have to spend a fortune on bait, and would sooner not use bread or oats. Thanks

chevy427
02-28-2008, 04:39 PM
Try pig starter from one of the feed places like Unifeed.

Or else Costco dog food.

Grizzly Adams
02-28-2008, 07:04 PM
I hunted with some guys a few years ago. they used a two barrel system. One was dog food and the other was meat scraps. The advantage of the dog food was the bears couldn't drag it off into the bush. Pet food, pound per pound, is more expensive than human food and I don't think you are going to get around that.
Grizz

WTHunter
02-28-2008, 08:22 PM
Used dog food last year, and did get a bear. They didn't like it as much when it got wet..... Terribly hard on the quad/trailer however for getting into the bait sites, as the crap is so heavy. By the end of the season I switched to popcorn- way lighter, the bears love it, and it is a lot cheaper.

WTHunter
02-28-2008, 08:24 PM
Oh... sorry didn't reply completely. I got my dog food from a pet store in Edmo. The crap actually has an expiry date, so when it goes they were more then happy to give it to me rather then fill their dumpster. Try the pet stores. Big stores would sell out before it would ever expire.

Versatile
02-28-2008, 11:49 PM
Ol Roy its mostly grain anyway.

JohnB
02-29-2008, 09:03 AM
I have used dog food in the past but I found I could buy a lot of oats compared to one bag of dog food. This is what I use at my baits:

Oats mixed with grease.
Meat scraps
Icing sugar
Bread if i can get it for free
beavers

Shrubs
02-29-2008, 09:32 AM
I've done a bit of baiting with dog food in the past nw of rocky mountain house. I never looked into any pet stores or anything so I just ended up picking it up Mainstay at Sobeys. Cheapest I found but wish I would have looked into getting some free stuff. I'd dump 2 bags in and then used fast food cooking oil over top and 2 days later when I camp back every nugget would be gone. It adds up, especially if you don't get one that season:)

The bears really love the oil to. Some would get out of the barrell through the chain holes and the bears would dig and dig to get at the stuff that seeped into the ground.

gunslinger
02-29-2008, 01:14 PM
hey what are you guys using for popcorn poppers, like i understand buying a popcorn popper but how mch you guys useing per bait per day. like a 5 gallon pail or a bread bag or what.

Shrubs
02-29-2008, 07:09 PM
Kevin Wilson had a good article on popcorn for bears that would have pretty much all the info you need but I can't remember which issue.

OutwardBound
03-01-2008, 06:08 AM
I've seen ads for the Peavy Mart they have a 40lb bag of Dura Life dog food for $14.

Dustin

Rust
03-01-2008, 10:58 AM
Like JohnB said. I think that you could buy a lot of oats for the price of a bag of Dog Food..

redneck
03-01-2008, 11:10 AM
Last year i used a 5 gallon pale and a tiger torch and popped the popcorn in bacon grease, ended up burning some of it but the bears didnt mind.

Walleyes
03-01-2008, 12:27 PM
I generally don't start to use dog food until after a bait becomes active,, after that it only takes a little each time to keep it active,, a 20# bag of No Name Dog Food will go a long ways..

nicholal
03-01-2008, 02:31 PM
Cheapest bear bait is oat, popcorn A&W fryer grease and butcher shop meat scrapes.

These things hold bears at the bait cause they cant drag them away. So they chow down til there pushed away by a bigger bear or done eating.

dog food can be a pain to carry and if wet turns to mush. But bears will almost eat anything really.

AL

BUD
03-01-2008, 06:23 PM
Try pig starter from one of the feed places like Unifeed.

Or else Costco dog food.

And it goes good with your beer too , haaaaaaaa