PDA

View Full Version : Halibut Announcement Today

Tofinofish
02-17-2012, 04:51 PM
Well, Not quite where we were hoping to be after years of "negotiating" and encouraging DFO to change the flawed allocation policy.

Announced today;
Re-Allocation of Canada's TAC of Halibut from 88% Commercial / 12% Recreational
to 85% Commercial / 15% Recreational

Though this is a small move in the right direction, IMO it only consists of smoke and mirrors common with DFO, to do a Media release making them look good in the uninformed public eye. :snapoutofit:

What this means is that any of you traveling to the coast this year to fish Halibut will likely have opportunities until approximately Labour Day again, with 1 per day and 2 in possesion as it has been the last two years. (The overall TAC has been reduced from last year, so this new announcement will likley provide a very similar season to last year)
We are on a down cycle of "exploitable biomass" meaning that even though the overall biomass of Halibut in the North Pacific is very strong, there is an age class of Halibut that the IHPC aims to protect. This age class is forecast to increase after this year, so the 15% allocation will then provide (in all likelyhood) a 2 per day and 3 possession Halibut Fishery in the near future.

I'd like to reiterate that a little movement is better than none, but this is still a bit of insult to the lengthy process we have been battling for the past 9 years.

Good thing the overall average size has increased substantially in our area over the past two years....

News Release below, and I'll try and answer questions where I am able.

http://news.gc.ca/web/article-eng.do?nid=657669

Mistitled ; "Greater Certainty" in the Pacific Halibut Fishery

February 17, 2012

Vancouver, B.C. — The Honourable Keith Ashfield, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, made an announcement today that will provide greater long-term certainty to the Pacific halibut fishery.

“Our government is making good on a commitment to provide greater long-term certainty in the Pacific halibut fishery for First Nations, commercial and recreational harvesters, and, most importantly encouraging jobs and economic growth in British Columbia,” said Minister Ashfield.

Based on a thorough review process conducted by Parliamentary Secretary Randy Kamp involving First Nations, commercial and recreational sectors, and the province of British Columbia, the Minister has instructed the Department to make an immediate correction in the allocation formula for the Pacific halibut fishery. Under the new formula, 85% of the resource will be allocated to the commercial sector and 15% to the recreational sector.

“I want to express my appreciation for Randy Kamp’s dedication to finding a solution that strikes a fair balance between the sectors and establishes a stable environment for the future,” added Minister Ashfield.

The experimental licence introduced last year, which allowed recreational harvesters to lease Pacific halibut quota from commercial harvesters based on market value, will continue to be available. Improvements to the program will be made, reflecting feedback received from 2011 participants. Fisheries and Oceans Canada will move forward with regulatory changes to continue this market-based transfer mechanism for the long term.

The 2012 Pacific halibut recreational fishing season will open March 1st. Recreational anglers with a tidal water licence will be able to catch one halibut per day with two in possession. Fisheries and Oceans Canada will continue to work with recreational community representatives to identify monitoring and management measures that will provide greatest flexibility and season length while staying within their allocation.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada will continue to work with First Nations to ensure priority access for Food, Social and Ceremonial purposes, and to engage First Nations in pursuing opportunities for commercial access to halibut through existing aboriginal programs.

All participants and sectors have a shared responsibility for the conservation, stewardship and careful harvest of Pacific halibut and this will continue to be a priority for Fisheries
and Oceans Canada.

J. Mohl
Clayoquot Ventures Tofino Fishing

Sea Hawk
02-20-2012, 01:31 PM
It just does not seem fair that the majority of us get such a small share of the fish

Tides and Tales
02-20-2012, 11:42 PM
The part that really frustrates me is that we have great Halibut fishing in Port Hardy until november, yet we were shut down Labour day last year. Meanwhile, commercial boats were allowed to fish until November! How is that fair? DFO will lead you to believe that the reason for this is conservation. Yeah right, conserving it for their buddies!! Considering that Alaska and Washington allocated 36% and 32% respectively to their rec anglers, the measly increase from 12-15% is grosely inadequate. Anybody looking for more info on this issue should check out http://www.sfibc.com. Lots of good info and a ton of letters and links to different media coverage.
MK
Tides and Tales Sportfishing

Tofinofish
02-21-2012, 11:17 AM
I would like to add that there have been mis-interpretations to the "Season ending date" where many on-line have been talking of late July and early August. This is not true or accurate.

Please don't take this type of uneducated banter to heart, and look to sources like SFI of BC.
I also stay tuned in fairly well if you want to ask, but we are looking at a very similar season to last year, with very potential dates of August 15th-25th when we will likley reach the current allocation of Recreational Halibut.

This new allocation, though far from perfect for this year, will see us back at 2 per day and 3 possesion in years to come.

We still need to encourage the Feds to look at a proper fix to the Halibut issue, but the "sky is not falling" for this season IMO....

lattery1
02-28-2012, 12:04 PM
I guess the $ 15000 that my buddies and I drop when we go to Ucluelet for a few days of fishing for about 30 pounds of halibut fillets each must be insignificant compared to the big bucks that the commercial fishers put into local economies on a per pound basis. Too bad that the powers that be can`t figure this out

Serengeti Charters
02-28-2012, 12:57 PM
Study showed commercials contribute around $5 per pound to economy whereas Rec sector contributes $30-$40 per pound....or somewhere around there...pretty obvious which one is better...not to mention that even if commercial halibut can catch less fish, price goes up so they can still make just as much money...supply and demand.

pope
02-28-2012, 05:37 PM
Are they still running that useless program to buy quota from the commercial fisheries at $5/pound? What a success that was last year! Who is going to pay that?

fish gunner
02-28-2012, 05:53 PM
you guys remember the cod ,100% of nothing is still nothing ,the grand banks millions of tons for a hundred years. the west coast will have the same problem soon. think of how many hali spots that are empty even in the past 10 years.

Tofinofish
02-29-2012, 06:20 PM
you guys remember the cod ,100% of nothing is still nothing ,the grand banks millions of tons for a hundred years. the west coast will have the same problem soon. think of how many hali spots that are empty even in the past 10 years.

I'm not going to dispute the East Coast Cod catastrophe, but the Biomass of Pacific Halibut is strong, and a good thing it is managed by the Pacific Halibut Commision and not DFO, otherwise the Big Business that sways their (DFO)decisions would likely make Halibut untouchable in cost and access.

Tofinofish
02-29-2012, 06:28 PM
Halibut opens Tomorrow March 1st.

Looking at the offshore waters today that resembles Hawaii 5-O , I will take my time prepping our first boat to go in for the season....
I Hope to have a fresh taste of a very small fraction of our 15% Halibut Allocation sometime later this week.
Signs of spring on the West Coast, so maybe our Salt-water season will start off strong.
Anyone thinking about an early season trip to the coast, we have space to host you or to help you find them yourself.

Send me an e-mail if you have questions.

J.

Tofinofish
03-14-2012, 12:28 PM
Just released by DFO regarding 2012 Halibut Regulations:

RECREATIONAL - Fin Fish (Other than Salmon)

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0192-RECREATIONAL - Fin Fish (Other than Salmon) - Halibut: Change to size of fish within possession limit

Coastwide

Effective at 00:01 hours April 1, 2012 the daily limit for halibut is one (1)
and the possession limit for halibut is two (2), of which only one may be
greater than 83 cm.

The Department will be issuing a fishery notice shortly with steps anglers
should take to ensure that their fish can be shown to be within the size limit.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0192
Sent March 14, 2012 at 10:41
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

fishwestcoast
03-14-2012, 12:48 PM
The thought about this is it is unfair to Canadians. But when they open it up for Sportfishing you should go catch em!!

Sea Hawk
03-14-2012, 01:13 PM
This new regulation could sure cause hassle for people transporting halibut home to Alberta.

Tofinofish
03-14-2012, 01:22 PM
This new regulation could sure cause hassle for people transporting halibut home to Alberta.

IMO there are numerous pro's and Con's to this plan, the best being an extended fishing season.

The limited DFO Enforcement will be very challenged with this...

Okotokian
03-14-2012, 01:45 PM
It just does not seem fair that the majority of us get such a small share of the fish

Majority of us??? How many people in Canada deep sea fish for halibut versus how many people buy it from the grocery store? I'd say the commercial fishery services "the majority".

That said, the economic value derived per fish via the recreational fishery probably dwarfs that created through the commercial fishery. Economically it would make sense to give the recreational/sport fishery all the allocation it can handle and then allocate whatever is left from an ecologically responsible viewpoint to the commercial fishery.

eagle99
03-14-2012, 02:13 PM
What is mortality rate releasing halibut assuming using good circle hooks

Lefty-Canuck
03-14-2012, 02:28 PM
IMO there are numerous pro's and Con's to this plan, the best being an extended fishing season.

The limited DFO Enforcement will be very challenged with this...

As much as I used to love going to the coast to fish and bring home some fish....this will sway me to go to fly in trips where I can bring something back....paying $800-900 a day for a boat is reasonable if you can have some fish to go home with.....

Coincidentally the only time I keep fish is when I go to the coast on a paid trip.

Also understand I know the trip is more about than just taking fish home....but that is also a large aspect of it for me....if I am spending my hard earned money.

I imagine this may hurt the fishing guides?.....they will need to have an extended season to make up for less bookings?.....or am I seeing this differently?

LC

Tofinofish
03-14-2012, 03:11 PM
As much as I used to love going to the coast to fish and bring home some fish....this will sway me to go to fly in trips where I can bring something back....paying $800-900 a day for a boat is reasonable if you can have some fish to go home with.....

Coincidentally the only time I keep fish is when I go to the coast on a paid trip.

Also understand I know the trip is more about than just taking fish home....but that is also a large aspect of it for me....if I am spending my hard earned money.

I imagine this may hurt the fishing guides?.....they will need to have an extended season to make up for less bookings?.....or am I seeing this differently?

LC

All very good points LC and no matter how you slice it this season, current DFO allocation along with the current decrease in exploitable biomass creates a pinch point both for anglers who want to have a decent amount of Seafood from their efforts and cost, as well as the guided industry and huge spin-off of Business in BC. Recreational Fishing in BC injects over 1 Billion dollars into the economy, so the current Halibut challenges are sure to have some serious negative effect.
IMO the sky is not falling;
-We have another extremely good Salmon Season forecasted for 2012 to help offset Halibut concerns. Doesn't fix it but it helps for sure.
-We have very liberal retention limits for Ling Cod and other Bottom-fish to help offset the decrease in Halibut during these short-term measures.
-These measures are to be short term extreme actions to alleviate the Current Halibut numbers. The Exploitable Biomass is planned to be back to normal next year or the year after, and with 15% allocation on "normal" TAC, this will very likley see us right back at full seasons and 2 per day and 3 in possession.
-Efforts will continue for a long term balance in allocation between sectors, but at 15% on normal TAC, this looks pretty darn good for the average angler to catch and retain Halibut all season.

-We operate on an extended season compared to most (March-October), and bookings are actually up for us regardless of Halibut so we may not be the best gauge of the effects that I am sure will be found as negative for many in the guide/lodge industry.

Am I a fan of the current situation we find ourselves in,,,NO Way! But would I want to go through my season as a recreational fisherman and a Business effected by possible peak season closures, IMO that would be worse.

Like I said, Pros and Cons, Sweet and Sour but knowing we are Fishing Halibut beyond August 1st, 7th or ??? is good to know.

I do look forward to being back to 2/3 and no size/slot limits.

Jay