PDA

View Full Version : Flasher or UW Camera

dkrhome
02-17-2012, 04:59 PM
Hi all,

I was in The fishin Hole today. I chatted with them about camera's and stuff. They were saying that the flashers are far more useful than the camera.

Has anyone had experiences with both and willing to share their opinion?

I know people hate sharing their opinions on this forum, but thought I would ask :thinking-006:

huntsfurfish
02-17-2012, 05:07 PM
Depends on the fishing you do and the water clarity. If you spend most of your time fishin perch and walleye in relatively clear water, Camera.

If you are after fish in deep water that may be suspended throughout the water column or very dirty water than a sonar unit would be a better choice.

If you have a boat and sonar already you can rig it for ice fishing too.

Dark Horn
02-17-2012, 05:07 PM
I have a vexilar fl20 flasher and a marcum vs825 camera. By far the more important of the two to buy first is the flasher. I can use the flasher to find depth and fish at all depths. Use it mainly for walleye and lake trout but also while jigging for pike and perch. Has worked perfectly in 3fow all the way to 150fow. Water conditions don't affect it's performance. As for the camera I find it to be more of a toy that I drop down on occasion to look around. The depth and clarity of water definitely affect its performance.

needmoretoys
02-17-2012, 05:10 PM
Both is the way to go. You use the flasher to find out how deep it is and if there is anything there. Then use the camera to verify the size and to help if they are bitting light.

huntsfurfish
02-17-2012, 05:11 PM
This is a post from a thread on Marcum 825.

In response to cameras as toys.

"I have two of the 825s, Best camera out there.

Some will have you believe they are only toys, but they are a valuable fishing tool. You will have the ability to learn lots by watching how the fish act, react and how your various lures and rigs work and what the area looks like. You should be able to learn constantly using them.

If there is any visibility on the lake, I am glued to my cameras. The down side is if there is very poor water clarity, then you might be better served with a sonar unit of one type or another. However the clearer the water the awesomer the camera is!

Entertainment value for kids and adults is off da chart too."

Dark Horn
02-17-2012, 05:15 PM
This is a post from a thread on Marcum 825.

In response to cameras as toys.

"I have two of the 825s, Best camera out there.

Some will have you believe they are only toys, but they are a valuable fishing tool. You will have the ability to learn lots by watching how the fish act, react and how your various lures and rigs work and what the area looks like. You should be able to learn constantly using them.

If there is any visibility on the lake, I am glued to my cameras. The down side is if there is very poor water clarity, then you might be better served with a sonar unit of one type or another. However the clearer the water the awesomer the camera is!

Entertainment value for kids and adults is off da chart too."

I will have to admit that when you can see any distance it is very cool. I Fish a lake that is very clear and can see a long ways. Watch whites, Cisco, pike and burbot all at the same time.

gatorhunter
02-17-2012, 06:54 PM
If you want to watch fish then get a camera.

If you want to catch fish then get a flasher.

Once you get your first flasher you'll want to get a second flasher. You'll completely forget about cameras.

thorne
02-17-2012, 07:04 PM
If you want to watch fish then get a camera.

If you want to catch fish then get a flasher.

Once you get your first flasher you'll want to get a second flasher. You'll completely forget about cameras.

100% i run an HDS sonar with my camera...sonar picks up fish way befor the camera,plus it gives a " Fish in the area alarm" if im busy getting some eats or something..love em both, but if i had to pick one....sonar/ flasher. always works in all light conditions and water clarity. Plus cameras suck in 100 feet of water...

dkrhome
02-17-2012, 07:14 PM
Thank you everyone for your thoughts...it is appreciated.

hiddenwalleye
02-17-2012, 07:18 PM
I just bought a flasher this year, I have had a Camera for the last 10 years, Flashers are Super, really enjoyed using it, just one thing though, I was fishing Cold Lake this past weekend and if you are close or even a hundred yards away from someone using a sonar or flasher it renders it useless.!!

Tight Lines

HW

:acigar:

calgarygringo
02-17-2012, 07:24 PM
We had a thread going a while back where I think it was Marcum has a deal that looks like both stacked together. Then you cant miss. I looked it up in the FH catolog and I believe it was around 1100 bucks or so. If you still cant catch fish then time to quit.

Alberta Bigbore
02-17-2012, 07:43 PM
Flasher over Camera anyday... but nice to have both!

Dark Horn
02-17-2012, 08:22 PM
We had a thread going a while back where I think it was Marcum has a deal that looks like both stacked together. Then you cant miss. I looked it up in the FH catolog and I believe it was around 1100 bucks or so. If you still cant catch fish then time to quit.

It is the vexilar fish scout. You can buy the cam and holder without the flasher or with it. If without then you just put your own vex on.

horsetrader
02-17-2012, 08:32 PM
There is a place and a time for each. Sonar,Flasher,Camera thats why I have all three and use all three.

gatorhunter
02-17-2012, 09:59 PM
I just bought a flasher this year, I have had a Camera for the last 10 years, Flashers are Super, really enjoyed using it, just one thing though, I was fishing Cold Lake this past weekend and if you are close or even a hundred yards away from someone using a sonar or flasher it renders it useless.!!
There is only one reason why it was rendered useless and that's because you didn't adjust the interference properly.

Two weeks ago, 4 of us inside a 16 foot long shelter, fished with 4 flashers; 3 Vexes and 1 Bird. I was less than 4 feet away from the Bird 55 with my FL 20 in 13 fow and neither one of us had any problem.

Marcums sometimes raise stink with other makes but Vexes and Birds get along.

The only time that I've ever had interference issues was fishing a rock slope for lakers. We had 3 Vexes and could only get them to work right if we were about 75 yards apart from each other. We figured that the echos bouncing off the solid wall of stone must have been the problem.

On the Red River or Lake Winnipeg, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting an angler using a flasher of some make. You'd also be surprised how many anglers have at least 2 flashers! They are THAT popular!

Flashers are the number one bigger ticket angling tool purchase in Manitoba, Minnesota, North Dakota, Wisconsin and Iowa! You can safely estimate 3 million+ anglers and an equivalent number of flasher units in those jurisdictions.

huntsfurfish
02-18-2012, 09:14 AM
There is a place and a time for each. Sonar,Flasher,Camera thats why I have all three and use all three.

Awe heck, I agree.:)lol

Kim473
02-18-2012, 02:24 PM
I use my ice 45, 5 times more than my aqua-vu cam. If you do get a cam get a mid range to top of the line marcum. You will be happy spending the extra money.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
02-18-2012, 04:31 PM
Flasher over Camera anyday... but nice to have both!

x 2 .

By far the flasher I kinda regret selling mine like an idjit . Ahwell Buying bigger and better toys .

horsetrader
02-18-2012, 04:37 PM
Awe heck, I agree.:)lol

See I knew this was going to happen now I got to find a new form.....:)

huntsfurfish
02-18-2012, 04:51 PM
Yup, all down hill from here on.:)

horsetrader
02-18-2012, 04:55 PM
Yup, all down hill from here on.:)

hahahahah.

bucktaker
02-18-2012, 08:41 PM
have both camera and lx3 flasher like the camera better then the flasher. :fighting0030:

Logan
02-18-2012, 09:22 PM
Someone on here put it best when they said a Camera is a toy, a Flasher is a
tool.

npauls
02-18-2012, 10:11 PM
I don't even bother taking my camera out anymore. I even picked up a second flasher from another forum member the other day when I passed through Calgary. I have been out a few times since and both flashers go with me all the time now.

I like that I can see the whole water column all the time no matter what the conditions are.

Cameras are handy at times and I will still use mine once and awhile but my flashers see way more work then the camera ever will.