PDA

View Full Version : Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo

FishFearMe
02-17-2012, 07:02 PM
My wife and I are travelling to Ixtapa Mexico for the first time for the first week in April. We would like to hire a guide in Zihu... and I was very surprised at how reasonable the rates were. I was wondering if anybody has any experience fishing there or gone on guided trips there who can recommend a good boat and crew. I would also like to try to do some shore fishing or rent a boat as well. I would appreciate any info.

Jack&7
02-17-2012, 08:02 PM
I did that trip back in 1999 and it is still one of my favorite trips I have been on. I ended up booking flights separately and then a hotel. I don't know if you have your accommodations booked yet but if not, I highly recommend this place:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g150790-d155739-Reviews-Villas_Paraiso-Ixtapa_Ixtapa_Zihuatanejo_Pacific_Coast.html

Awesome little 4 story hotel off the beach. Worth every penny. I called direct and booked with the manager for $60 US a night including breakfast. Of course this is 1999 prices, but the staff were awesome and the rooms were great.

Ixtapa was cool to wander around in but it is definitely "modernized" Mexico. For the Old-town feel, get a cheap bus or cab ride to Zihua. We also booked a 1/2 day fishing charter from there. Do your homework, check the prices and ask a lot of questions. I can't remember who we went with but 4 of us went and we caught only 1 sailfish. Good thing was that I asked if we could have a chunk to cook for dinner (as they sell the fish back at the dock when you return), and the captain was gracious enough to cut us two big slabs of the tail section.

We took them home and had the chef at the hotel make it for us...tasted just like pike...only saltier!

Overall, I have been itching to get back to Ixtapa...just haven't done it yet.

You will love it.

Cal
02-17-2012, 08:05 PM
Pretty sure I'm going to try and use that the next time I play scrabble.

Albertadiver
02-17-2012, 10:49 PM
I loved Ixtapa. Never fished there as my $ was spent on diving. A fantastic trip. You'll love it there.

tacklerunner
02-18-2012, 08:57 AM
I fished in Zihuatanejo. Sailfish galore. Been to Mexico so many times I'm a little more adventurous. Walked the waterfront and chatted to locals. Found a guy with a panga and a 50 hp yamaha and away we went 14 miles out to a reef, no navigation, no land to be seen. Was a fisherman all his life. Sailfish city. Few Marlin around at certain times of the year. Dorados too. Saw giant sea turtles cruising by. Giant tuna on the surface at times. My "guide" encouraged catch and release which I was happy about. Usually they want to take what they can to make a buck. Think I negotiated $100 or $150 for 2 of us for the whole day. Bought some beer and sandwiches at the store at the dock and left a daybreak.

There's better fish than sailfish to eat like snapper if you want to keep something. Jack&7 will eat anything. Trust me I know him but he just washes it down with Jack and 7 so it all tastes the same.

Wouldn't neccessarily recommend this route if your taking your wife. No bathrooms or anything out 14 miles. But you should ask your guide how he's been doing fishing, if he'll take you to the best spot etc. Some are lazy and want to save fuel and think you'll be happy if you land a 5 lb member of the tuna family. You're out there for pictures and experience of a lifetime.

Don't recommend renting a boat. The ocean can be a scary place. Plus for the price, you can just get someone to take you out and show you the ropes.

Zihuatanejo is a fishing village. Real Mexico. Safe and friendly. Embrace the locals as they have all of the knowledge.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Jack&7
02-18-2012, 11:08 AM
Take TR's advice...that sounds like a much better and more economical plan than what we did. If memory serves, we split the rental on the boat between 4 of us and I want to say that I paid $125 back then. It was cool but it was disappointing that we only caught the one sailfish. Would've loved to sink my teeth into some snapper!:scared0018:

If I were to do it now, I would spend some time with the locals and see what the inside scoop is before committing any cash.

And TR is right...I will eat anything.

pat brennan
02-18-2012, 12:26 PM
We were there two years ago, but only for a day so didn't fish. One place I can recommend if you are taking your wife, or girlfriend,or both!, is a jewelry store in Zijuatenajo (sp?), about a block or so away from the main dock. It had a proper storefront and a 30something mexican fellow, well educated and well spoken, who was trained in New York. The store was a good sized one, with a proper storefront, very pleasant staff who were not pushy at all, but willing to negotiate prices. He made my wife a ring with a setting of her choice in one of the semi-precious stones (amber) for something like $35, set in silver (which she likes). We went back a few hours later to look at the ring and bought it, but were under no obligation to do so.

FishFearMe
02-22-2012, 05:47 AM
Thanks for all the helpful info people! And especially Pat. I was wondering how to talk my wife into maybe a 2nd charter during the week and I think that jewelry store is the perfect answer.
I will definately check out that hotel for future reference but have all accomodations booked for this trip. We got a deal on an all inclusive at the dorado pacifica for just over 1000 each including air fare taxes all food booze and 24hr room service...was hard to pass up.
I'm not into eating sailfish either although they are good smoked. Too majestic to kill. Iam still having trouble finding out how and where I can get a fishing permit to fish from shore but still a month away.

Jiffy10
02-22-2012, 07:29 AM
got back from Cabo yesterday.
the fishing community there says.... the water is to cold un and down
the coast right now. the boats are going out 25 to 35 miles till they
are in the proper temp. And.... because they are so far out they
are really "hit and miss " fishing.

talked to a guy who was out 3 days ago and all the boats got skunked.