PDA

View Full Version : Eskimo Z71 speed ((video))

Kevwood
02-18-2012, 09:22 PM
Hi All, I recently purchased an Eskimo Z71 10" auger, thanks to everyone thet pointed me in the direction of this auger with the recommendations over the past couple days...attached is a short video of its performance compared to my 20 year old Eskimo 8"...I'm sure there are faster augers out there but outdrilling my old 8" 2:1 with a 10" is just what I was after...and if it stands the test of time like the old one I will be even happier!

BTW:fishing at Ghost lake by Athabasca...4 small throwback perch and 26 small pike(biggest 61cm...great weather to test the auger out...

check it out if it intrests you...

http://s1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii534/kevwood9/?action=view&current=AugerDemo.mp4

huntin'fool
02-19-2012, 08:21 AM
impressive, and interesting. Thanks for posting.

208prov
02-19-2012, 08:30 AM
Hi All, I recently purchased an Eskimo Z71 10" auger, thanks to everyone thet pointed me in the direction of this auger with the recommendations over the past couple days...attached is a short video of its performance compared to my 20 year old Eskimo 8"...I'm sure there are faster augers out there but outdrilling my old 8" 2:1 with a 10" is just what I was after...and if it stands the test of time like the old one I will be even happier!

BTW:fishing at Ghost lake by Athabasca...4 small throwback perch and 26 small pike(biggest 61cm...great weather to test the auger out...

check it out if it intrests you...

http://s1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii534/kevwood9/?action=view&current=AugerDemo.mp4

Kluge augers, I got 2 Z71 and kluge augers gcut faster and 10lbs lighter, A person hates packing around that 43lb auger. Kluge 10 is 33lbs and faster. Its there bit and 10000 rpm

FishingFrenzy
02-19-2012, 09:16 AM
Kluge augers, I got 2 Z71 and kluge augers gcut faster and 10lbs lighter, A person hates packing around that 43lb auger. Kluge 10 is 33lbs and faster. Its there bit and 10000 rpm

Dont Kluge augers cost upwards of 1500$??? A little pricy for the weekend fisherman if you ask me.

Kevwood, sweet video! I bought a Eskimo Z51 8 inch and I love it! Starts on the second pull every time, cut's like crazy, has good durability. I know eskimo augers are a little on the heavy side but for alot of guys it doesn't get used until they can take the truck/quad on the ice. Weight isn't a big deal, heck it puts some muscle on you :sHa_sarcasticlol:

208prov
02-19-2012, 09:49 AM
Dont Kluge augers cost upwards of 1500$??? A little pricy for the weekend fisherman if you ask me.

Kevwood, sweet video! I bought a Eskimo Z51 8 inch and I love it! Starts on the second pull every time, cut's like crazy, has good durability. I know eskimo augers are a little on the heavy side but for alot of guys it doesn't get used until they can take the truck/quad on the ice. Weight isn't a big deal, heck it puts some muscle on you :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Yes 1500 and worth every penny. We commercial fish and the bit is worth its weight in gold, Never have to replace blades yet, Cut thousands of holes and still sharp, I got 2 eskimo z71 1 strike master, 3 jiffy, 1 kluge augers, Only way to have this many is cause commercial fishing, I just letting people know about KLUGE, it has to be long term or die hard or its not worth it to average fisherman.

madatter
02-19-2012, 10:41 AM
Those KLUGES look mean!
Love to own one but that price is a little hard to swallow for the average guy like ya say.
To the OP congrats on the Z71,it's a pretty good auger,just remember to get a spare set of blades to keep handy...if you are like me you will need them!

Kevwood
02-19-2012, 11:32 AM

The Z71 is 34lbs...not 43...it only seems a couple pounds heavier than my old 8" Eskimo. If I had a lot of dough to spend on an auger than the kluge may have been an option...they look pretty sweet!

browning375
02-20-2012, 01:28 PM
Just picked one up from the fishing hole around christmas. The thing is a beast, totally pounds my old jiffy into the ground. Love the decompression button!

Great auger for $450.00

Kevwood
02-20-2012, 02:54 PM
If anyone is in the market for one of these...Crappy Tire matched WSS sale price of $369.88, this was Feb 17...check the WSS website to make sure they still have it listed at their sale price before you try to get CT to match something that is not listed anymore...

-JR-
02-20-2012, 03:39 PM
Funny thing about ice augers ,they drill faster if you lean into them.
How do you know one guy is not pushing down harder. Are both blades sharp ?
Just a thought !

Kevwood
02-20-2012, 05:21 PM
Just a thought !
They are both sharp...obviously the Z71 are brand new and the old 8" had new blades about 100-150 holes ago...in this vid, the weight of the auger is all that is doing the drilling, I tried pushing down to get the Z71 to bog out...it doesn't happen, it just cuts faster. As for putting some weight on the old girl, you can put a little weight on her to help, but it usually results in jamming, slipping or bogging out...hence the reason for the new auger. I am really happy with the purchase so far, seems to be a great machine!

stompit
02-20-2012, 06:38 PM
If anyone is in the market for one of these...Crappy Tire matched WSS sale price of $369.88, this was Feb 17...check the WSS website to make sure they still have it listed at their sale price before you try to get CT to match something that is not listed anymore...

Just remember when price matching, they will usually call because it is supposed to be in stock.

FishingFrenzy
02-20-2012, 06:44 PM
Just a thought !

Wrong. If your blades are in good shape your auger will cut BEST if you let its own weight drill the hole.

Even so... Why would he post a video showing his new auger artificially going faster than his old one...? Thats stupider than no meat on fridays...

chessduude
02-20-2012, 07:04 PM
maybe someone here can help me with understanding my eskimo at full throttle can sometimes barely turn the auger with just weight of machine no human force applied runs fine and fast not in ice but get some resistance and almost stalls the blade. about last 1/8 of tank she hums and pushes hard and i cant stall out even with all my 225lbs leaning on it. Could this be my fuel mix incorrect is all i could think. any other suggestions? If this is wrong to post responses here please pm me.

SonnyJ
02-20-2012, 07:25 PM
Yeah looked like the 8 incher wasn't getting full RPM..

Bush
02-20-2012, 07:26 PM
Over fueling. You should check the diaphragms on the bottom of the carb. Do you also find that it starts without using the choke? Check the air cleaner as well because if it's starving for air it will pull extra fuel through the diaphrams

208prov
02-20-2012, 08:42 PM
The Z71 is 34lbs...not 43...it only seems a couple pounds heavier than my old 8" Eskimo. If I had a lot of dough to spend on an auger than the kluge may have been an option...they look pretty sweet!
put your auger full of gas on the scale i have 2 and they weigh 43 the bit is 11.6 lbs alone

Kevwood
02-20-2012, 09:04 PM
put your auger full of gas on the scale i have 2 and they weigh 43 the bit is 11.6 lbs alone

I Never weighed it...Eskimo website says 32lbs...Box it came in says 34lbs, thats what I was going by... maybe your right? Maybe they just post the engine weight? Doesn't feel that heavy? I'll have to weigh it...

208prov
02-20-2012, 09:27 PM
I Never weighed it...Eskimo website says 32lbs...Box it came in says 34lbs, thats what I was going by... maybe your right? Maybe they just post the engine weight? Doesn't feel that heavy? I'll have to weigh it...

they do just post the engine weighe 32 +11 = 43
I took a 10'' strike master 4 blade bit and put on the 3.7 hp, Unreal compared to the original 2 blade eskimo
i then put it on my 8'' 4 blade on the 3.7 it will cut over 2 to one of my jiffy 3 hp 8'' stealth, If you ever wreck the leg look at the blue strikemaster leg.

Kevwood
02-20-2012, 09:35 PM
I took a 10'' strike master 4 blade bit and put on the 3.7 hp, Unreal compared to the original 2 blade eskimo
i then put it on my 8'' 4 blade on the 3.7 it will cut over 2 to one of my jiffy 3 hp 8'' stealth, If you ever wreck the leg look at the blue strikemaster leg.

thx for the info...I will keep that in mind

madatter
02-21-2012, 06:34 AM

Are all the different legs from different makes have the same bolt type connection,and be easily swapped back and forth? Line up properly?
I keep saying I was going to throw my Jiffy auger leg onto the Eskimo motor,never got around to it tho.

208prov
02-21-2012, 07:54 AM
Are all the different legs from different makes have the same bolt type connection,and be easily swapped back and forth? Line up properly?
I keep saying I was going to throw my Jiffy auger leg onto the Eskimo motor,never got around to it tho.

Jiffy turns left, Every other auger turns right, with some minor mods you can swith legs

cribfisher
02-21-2012, 08:21 PM
I have a mako 10" and total weight full of gas is 34 lbs.

Walleyemagnet
03-07-2012, 07:33 PM
I have the Strikemaster Lazer Pro 10inch. I timed it at Cross last weekend. The first time I had to use the extension. 30 plus inches of ice in 12 seconds. You don't have to push down on this sucker either. If anything, you need to hold it back!