PDA

View Full Version : Ling Cod

need2fish
02-29-2008, 11:41 AM
Does anyone have any tips on how to catch a ling? Someone said to use a piece of beef liver.

TJK
02-29-2008, 12:06 PM
I am really no expert but a large minow on a plain lead jig head has worked for me. A few inches off the bottom and bounce it on the bottom once and a while to get attention.

need2fish
02-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Thanks TJK. Should I use a steel leader with that...like for pike?

dss44
02-29-2008, 01:15 PM
They love octopus. All summer all I do is fish for salmon, hali's, and lings and their favorite food is definitely octopus. A LARGE, keyword being large, herring with a treble and a single hook also works well.

Just go to pretty much any large rock pinnicle formation on the bottom, usually around 100-200ft deep, and jig there (on the downslopes) and you should nail some. Keep in mind the big ones are breeding females, and try not to keep more than one to keep the stock nice and high. They are great eating pan fried ;)

Also, be careful about that rocky bottom. Usually, even though I'm a guide, we'll get hung up on bottom once or twice during the day and have to break the line and lose all our jigs and what not. On that note, Mudrakers with a piece of herring or octopus on the end is the best combo to go with...but don't tell TOO many people that ;) haha

Where abouts are you planning on going to out west? If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to PM me and ask.

David

FisherPotch
02-29-2008, 01:29 PM
Unfortunatly there is often a misuse of slang terms for the name of fish. Example Walleye = Pickeral. Which is not true. A Pickeral is a type of pike.

In this case i think that need2fish is likely talkin about burbot. And dss44 is talking about ling cod. (I think). If not I'm sorry for butting in.

In my experience a jig with minnow has worked. Bouncing off bottom every so often and then dead sticking 2 to 8 inches off botom. Even right on bottom sometimes. For Burbot that is. I've never caught a ling cod.

Tight Lines

dss44
02-29-2008, 01:49 PM
hahaha...I'm a BC boy...so you caught me there. Lingcod to me is lingcod :p Oppsies But now all of you know how to catch lings if you come out to the coast haha :D

mulecrazy
02-29-2008, 03:50 PM
A minnow on a whistler jig a couple inches off the bottom works well. If they spit the hook out when you go to set the hook get it back down quickly. many times I have had them sit there after a failed hook set. I actually dropped the hook back on top of the head and brough up a 11 pounder. that was after 2 failed hook sets. good luck

need2fish
02-29-2008, 04:33 PM
Good advice!! I'll use the BC advice this summer on the Island....my sister is near Qualicum and I plan on going fishing there. We usually leave from Deep Bay for salmon but will try for some ling this year...especially with the good tips.
Yes, I was talking about burbot and will be trying for them tomorrow.
Thanks a lot and I'll let you know how my nephew and I do.

fishergirl
02-29-2008, 05:15 PM
Unfortunatly there is often a misuse of slang terms for the name of fish. Example Walleye = Pickeral. Which is not true. A Pickeral is a type of pike.

In this case i think that need2fish is likely talkin about burbot. And dss44 is talking about ling cod. (I think). If not I'm sorry for butting in.

In my experience a jig with minnow has worked. Bouncing off bottom every so often and then dead sticking 2 to 8 inches off botom. Even right on bottom sometimes. For Burbot that is. I've never caught a ling cod.

Tight Lines

I never knew that Walleye was not Pickerel. You are right. I just did a little quick research and it is a type of Pike. I will be sharing this info. Thanks and I have been learning so much from everyone on here. :)

jrs
02-29-2008, 05:32 PM
For burbot i've done well using a stinky smelt smushed onto a 1/4 oz jig with a small stinger hook. Judging by the smell in the car my baits ready for tommorrow :lol:

tchow
02-29-2008, 07:01 PM
DS44: The one thing you forgot to mention is Ling Candy !! aka Green Ling. Ocean Ling Cod love these as its just like Candy to them...

dss44
02-29-2008, 07:24 PM
DS44: The one thing you forgot to mention is Ling Candy !! aka Green Ling. Ocean Ling Cod love these as its just like Candy to them...

Or just put a small rockfish on your line. They are much more abundant and easier to catch I find than greenlings. When you are in BC, make sure to check the regs that you aren't fishing in a rockfish conservation zone...big fines for that.