PDA

View Full Version : Shedding Antlers

Thickhorn
02-29-2008, 12:57 PM
Yesterday evening I went out fly fishing the bow south of Calgary. Fish weren't biting, so I went for a hike with Cooper, my 4-month old lab. Cooper ended up spooking his first deer, a nice four-point muley. My question is - when do they usually shed their antlers? I always thought they'd be off by now...

Scott N
02-29-2008, 02:37 PM
I'd bet that many deer have shed their antlers by now, but by the end of March, they should pretty much all have shed them.

WTHunter
02-29-2008, 03:20 PM
Last spring saw three small bucks close to Edmonton that still had antlers the 10th of April. But generally speaking I think they lose them between Christmas and the end of March. As Scott said- i am sure many of them have dropped, and with the warm weather probably lots of guys are finding sheds already.

lazy ike
02-29-2008, 03:43 PM
I saw 7 Mulie bucks all sporting lumber yesterday.

mud slug
02-29-2008, 05:32 PM
took a hot shot out to a elk farm today all his bulls still had their antlers. he figured they would drop them in the next week.

boonie
02-29-2008, 06:05 PM
Found my first set of antlers in the second week of January. Up to 16 so far but I'm sure lots are under snow. Know of quite a few farmers who found some in their yards as early as mid December this year. Usually they only drop them this early if they are under stress.

Mulestalker
02-29-2008, 11:35 PM
Was out quading 3 days ago,seen 13 bucks(MD) all with both sides yet,still a little early for sheds,nice weather makes it feel like April, gotta realize its still Feb!

packhuntr
03-01-2008, 07:52 PM
I agree with mulestalker. If you want to find mule sheds, wait till may before you start covering ground. You will be mad if you go to early, cover a bunch of hard ground, and jump some bucks still packin horn. Ive done er in these big nasty coulees down here trying to beat other guys, only to have it backfire badly. Mules will carry a long time compared to whitetails. Ive seen them carrying horn in may, but as a rule they are on the ground by then. Dont know if regoin plays a role there though????

keep a strain on er.

YoungBuck
03-13-2008, 10:25 PM
on the 9th me and my dad were out and we looked for about 2.5 hours. there was tons of track and droppings all we found was a spicker. part of are region had already been looked over. i was with WThunter when he saw those bucks in april last year and was just as amazed.