PDA

View Full Version : Lowrance help

s_erickson
02-20-2012, 08:21 PM
I bought a boat last summer and it has a lowrance x49 fish finder that came with it. It works pretty good but i need to find a power cable for it that has the connections so i can get the temp and speed sensor installed. currently it has the connector that is just spliced for power. I found the sensor online but i can't find a power cable. If anyone knows where to find one that would be great...If not what would you guys suggest for a new fish finder. I want something to show temp and speed, and since i fish back home in the ocean every summer its got to be able to go around 500 ft down. I dont want to spend over 500$. I would prefer to just get the cables for mine, but if i have to upgrade i'll convince the wife its a must have for "safe" boating. lol

Bigdad013
02-20-2012, 11:56 PM
go onto the lowrance website under contact us, talk to a service guy and they can hook you up.

s_erickson
02-22-2012, 05:37 PM
lowrance doesnt have anything. They gave me a part number but its discontinued. A guy at work says he'll buy it off me because he just wants the depth. Just wondering on suggestions for fish finders with speed and temp for under 500$. Thanks.

troyfitt
02-22-2012, 05:56 PM
try the guys at the fish n hole or even whole sale they my have old stock

Bigdad013
02-23-2012, 06:36 AM
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Lowrance-HDS-5-Nautic-Insight-Fishfinder-Chartplotter-w-o-Transducer-Remanufact-/190576205666?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5f3a1f62#ht_3276wt_1141

huntsfurfish
02-23-2012, 08:01 AM
If you can swing it buy one that has GPS as well, easier sell for "safety":). It will give you an accurate speed even if you are drifting(not moving forward) and many have temp included. And a 50/200 or even 83/200 transducer wouldnt hurt for salt water fishing. Downside is cost. Bass pro had HDS 5 Gen 1 base for I think around $700 with rebate might have been less(dont remember exactly)Give them a call. It is an awesome finder with built in GPS though.

s_erickson
02-26-2012, 06:45 PM
How accurate are the HDS 5 units for speed. When trolling for salmon dialing in your speed withing +/- .1 mile per hour can make a huge difference. Luckily i have the transducer already for that series of lowrance (the guy who owned my boat befor was a guide and had the HDS 7). Looking at the images i dont like the display (i like the basic one that shows fish and the bottom) and was wondering if the settings will allow it to be set to a basic view.

npauls
02-26-2012, 07:50 PM
The HDS units are really accurate when trolling. I use an HDS 8 for walleye fishing and when I am running my ipilot it shows the same gps speed as my Lowrance.

I would look on the net and check out some videos on how to read a sonar with the arches over the fish symbols. There are lots of times the fish I.D. isn't right but if you know what you are looking at the arches are almost always a sure thing. There is a ton of videos online that can help you learn pretty much everything about how to read a sonar.

huntsfurfish
02-26-2012, 10:52 PM
HDS units will display Fish ID (fish symbols) Just have to go to Menu, Sonar options, Fish ID and depths of fish if you want. You can set it up however you want. I would not use fish ID though but rather interpret the signals myself. It will give you a better sense of fish size with a little practice/use. Good info in the manuals but if help is needed just post and we would be happy to help.