PDA

View Full Version : Cold Lake/Wolf Lake

ivegonefishing
02-20-2012, 08:54 PM
Any updates on either of these lakes in the last day?
Thanks

Rigby
02-20-2012, 09:00 PM
Was at cold today, it was alright first thing in the morn then not a bite after noon.

Son of Sniglett
02-20-2012, 10:49 PM
Frick-that is a nice Mulie!

FisherPotch
02-21-2012, 12:57 AM
How much ice on cold?? I've been hearing rumors of open water but they could b just rumors.

Yes that is a nice mule. Was that this year or last rob?

cory3006
02-21-2012, 07:23 AM
There is still 20" + at most parts of the lake but the warm temps have not been good. There is open water but only at a few of the heaves that fill up the cracks, people were driving over them by Garnet Beach on Sun. Fishing was good yesterday got 18 lakers and a huge burbot between 2 of us, biggest laker was 13.5 lbs and all but 2 were 65cm+. I stay away from everyone else because the ice is not good enough to support too many vehicles in such a small spot as they tend to congregate.

ivegonefishing
02-21-2012, 08:14 AM
Thank you guys for the posts will be out there today with snowmobile and sled.

35 whelen
02-21-2012, 05:56 PM
Was on cold today and yesterday some trucks are crossing the break at garnet but tough getting back should be good in a few days when it frezzes hard ,fishing was good yesterday slow today.

walleyeca
02-21-2012, 06:56 PM
You can go as far as easterners hump( The city!) but DO NOT try and cross that ice heave!! Its open water we dropped our hooks in and they went to 120 feet! it was pretty messed up because we were stuck on the other side of the heave and if it werent for some very nice Manitoba boys a chainsaw and some trees 2 hours work and alot of captain morgans and nerves we would be stuck there till god said it was time to cross lol, thanks boys!!!

Penner
02-21-2012, 08:11 PM
Ice is moving a ton this year. Temps, wind, and a late freeze have ice very unpredictable. Cross an ice heave in the morning can't get back in the evening. North shore is a mess. Ice heave opened up 1-1/2ft overnight. Use extreme caution!!!

Dr. Fish
02-21-2012, 08:28 PM
Some freinds and I were there on the weekend and on Saturday fished near Garnet where the ice heaves are. Watched two vehicles put there front ends down trying to cross the wrong part of the ice heave. First truck had his back tires a good three feet off the ice! Both vehicles managed to get pulled out. Sunday we decided to go accross the heave at the spot everyone else was driving accoss and in the morning it was no big deal. Fishing in the early afternoon and all of a sudden there was an ice-quake, like nothing ive experienced before, scary stuff! On the way back it turned out that the ice heave had shifted quite a bit higher and with lots of water on the ice. Just had to hit er with the truck and bounce over or be stranded. No way it could have been safe.:scared0015:
If I go back this year its with the sleds.
And the speed that some people are driving at out there, just not smart with such sketchy ice!

I'd urge people not to drive accross the ice heave.
We talked to some guys that stayed on the ice over night and they said the heave had opened up over night and then closed before morning. And this is right where the trail goes accoss it. Wont suprise me to here of somebody deep sixing it on Cold lake this year.

bigdeer91
02-21-2012, 08:32 PM
Ice is moving a ton this year. Temps, wind, and a late freeze have ice very unpredictable. Cross an ice heave in the morning can't get back in the evening. North shore is a mess. Ice heave opened up 1-1/2ft overnight. Use extreme caution!!!

i was out on on cold this morning .2 trucks came out unloded there quads and went a cross ice heave .20 minets later suv came out and went across in the same place.few minets later white ford f 250 came up stoped guy geets out looks at the ice heave .gets back in and drives along the ice heave out to the midle of the lake.you could hear the ice cracking .
one more thing that get to me is when you see some doing 50 plus km on the ice.come on slow down .

Sloughsharkjigger
02-21-2012, 08:33 PM
Wow good story Dr. Glad to hear you made back across. So did the ice feel like it was moving under your feet?

Rigby
02-21-2012, 08:43 PM
i was out on on cold this morning .2 trucks came out unloded there quads and went a cross ice heave .20 minets later suv came out and went across in the same place.few minets later white ford f 250 came up stoped guy geets out looks at the ice heave .gets back in and drives along the ice heave out to the midle of the lake.you could hear the ice cracking .
one more thing that get to me is when you see some doing 50 plus km on the ice.come on slow down .

It is unreal how fast people drive on that lake. I am pretty sure I seen a truck doing 80 km across the middle of the lake! And more than a few doing 40-50km.

walleyeca
02-21-2012, 09:18 PM
At approx 1:20pm there was a loud cracking boom ice quake was happening I was hanging on to my quad handle bars to stay up for approx 15 seconds it was the weirdest feeling ever and Ill never forget that sound when the ice quake began we were down about 9km from the ice heave towards the river and it was felt as far as the heave city near the river as we had a group there aswell! Unfortunatley the fishing was so unreal it was hard to leave and well......

CeeZee
02-21-2012, 09:59 PM
aren't these old pictures?

Dr. Fish
02-22-2012, 06:02 AM
Wow good story Dr. Glad to hear you made back across. So did the ice feel like it was moving under your feet?

Ya the ice was definetly moving, as well as the water in the hole was jumping pretty good. I was kneeling on the ice when it happend, felt the shock wave go right thru me. Very different experience, I imagine not unlike an earthquake.

CeeZee
02-22-2012, 07:28 AM
i really wanted to head up to cold lake and stay the night or two on the ice, but after hearing these stories I am a little worried about even a day trip! lol

anybody think the conditions have a chance at smartening before the end of march?

Teamprotz
02-22-2012, 08:15 AM
Headin up mon or tues. Will need to quad to my spot regardless , its surrounded by heaves.

sheepstalker
02-23-2012, 10:30 AM
i really wanted to head up to cold lake and stay the night or two on the ice, but after hearing these stories I am a little worried about even a day trip! lol

anybody think the conditions have a chance at smartening before the end of march?

Don't cancel! The Ice is good, just be careful......dont drive to fast and don't cross any heaves unless you know its safe. I've spent the last 2 weekends on the lake and the fishing is unreal right now!

walleyeca
02-23-2012, 10:46 AM
The Ice is fine just dont go over easterners hump! fish by ski hill I heard a 22lber came out yesterday! WOW

Kootenai Killer
02-23-2012, 11:16 AM
Do any of you seasoned Cold Lake fishermen target walleye in the winter? Heading up there on Saturday, bringing a friend who had never caught a laker so it should be fun. Was thinking about trying to target some walleye as well. Sure sounds like you guys are doing very well on the lakers! Keep it up!

35 whelen
02-23-2012, 11:35 AM
Fishing has been great this year no 20s yet but lots this size ,my buddys biggest this year

FisherPotch
02-23-2012, 12:00 PM
Do any of you seasoned Cold Lake fishermen target walleye in the winter? Heading up there on Saturday, bringing a friend who had never caught a laker so it should be fun. Was thinking about trying to target some walleye as well. Sure sounds like you guys are doing very well on the lakers! Keep it up!

From a guy who went up there to catch a laker for the first time through the ice last year......... Make sure he's gotten a laker b4 u go looking for eyes. I was purdy frustrated with my posse when we blew a day getting stuck and looking for Walters. But that's just me. There is deffinately good walleye fishing to be found.