PDA

View Full Version : Lake Triple X - Success!!

full_throttle
02-21-2012, 11:41 AM
What a weekend at LAKE TRIPLE X ! Friday we pulled out two 15lbers, Saturday we caught a 108cm Jack (22lbs), and Sunday was a 14lber, 18lber, and a 21lber that was 109cm's ! Never again to be duplicated I'm sure. :sHa_shakeshout:

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o529/fullthrottleoutfitting/IMG-20120217-00231.jpg

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o529/fullthrottleoutfitting/DSC00312.jpg

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o529/fullthrottleoutfitting/DSC00329.jpg

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o529/fullthrottleoutfitting/DSC00347.jpg

Lefty-Canuck
02-21-2012, 11:46 AM
Some nice snot rockets....look at the bellies on those!

LC

Jamie Black R/T
02-21-2012, 11:48 AM
only BIG pike are interesting....those pike are interesting!

great day i would say!

ogre
02-21-2012, 12:03 PM
Happy for ya on a great trip. And to have found the location yourself is doubly worthwhile. All beauty pikes.

Wasn't too sure if thread is NSFW.

full_throttle
02-21-2012, 01:04 PM
Poor guys that pulled in after us and set up 100 yards away were not too happy, we pulled up 3 hogs in a row and none of their 12 tip-ups went off all day!

highwood
02-21-2012, 02:17 PM
Of course it won't be duplicated, the pike are in your freezer ;).

Very nice fish, congrats.

SNAPFisher
02-21-2012, 06:25 PM
Best report of the season so far! Congrats on the awesome day out!

in_search_of_a_monster
02-21-2012, 06:53 PM
Best ive seen so far wicked job !

whitetail Junkie
02-21-2012, 07:02 PM
Awesome photos! what a great catch!

Garry B
02-21-2012, 08:21 PM
Normally I don't get too interested in pike but those pics are awesome. Beautiful water wolves. SWEEEEEET!

RACKER
02-21-2012, 08:32 PM
Nice fish and congrats but was wondering if you kept all those or did you release any!Most big jacks are females full of eggs;smaller ones taste alot better.anyway looks like you had lots of fun and did your homework!

Bush
02-21-2012, 08:36 PM
I think they all taist great and the bigger ones are easier to clean

Brandonkop
02-21-2012, 11:41 PM
Sweet Pike!!! Looks like a nice northern lake in a white out! I think you got lucky, its tough to tell but I may have been there before! Can be hit and miss! Looks Like you hit it!

Brandon

full_throttle
02-22-2012, 04:00 PM
Lucky would have been one good day, but we caught wicked 3 days in a row! And of course we kept them, a guys gotta eat!

canadiantdi
02-22-2012, 05:13 PM
Awesome fish!! Great job! Too bad you kept them though.

sapper3
02-22-2012, 05:30 PM
Amazing..Simply Amazing..thans for the Pics

Jwood 456
02-22-2012, 05:36 PM
Man, those pike are like freight trains! Congrats!

SNAPFisher
02-22-2012, 05:55 PM

More like "too bad I didn't catch them....sour grapes" :fighting0030:

vettedreamer
02-22-2012, 06:20 PM
great lookin hogs...well done

pelada trochu
02-22-2012, 06:53 PM
nice fish. we would all love to have a day like that.

sorry to see that trophy fish were put in a freezer.

full_throttle
02-22-2012, 07:27 PM
Thanks! With hooks in their throats I have my doubts that they would have survived.

canadiantdi
02-22-2012, 07:28 PM
More like "too bad I didn't catch them....sour grapes" :fighting0030:

I think its awesome that he caught them. Its nice to know that there are big hogs like that around. It just sucks to see the big trophies taken away. There are less and less of them around. Understand?

whitetail Junkie
02-22-2012, 10:08 PM

http://i875.photobucket.com/albums/ab316/whitetail_junkie/jerkit.gif

hunter49
02-22-2012, 10:26 PM
Never again to be duplicated I'm sure. :sHa_shakeshout:

You have ensured it wont be duplicated because you killed them! A few nice big spawners to throw in the deep freeze:sign0161:

canadiantdi
02-22-2012, 11:42 PM
http://i875.photobucket.com/albums/ab316/whitetail_junkie/jerkit.gif

Ya, we should all be happy that the big spawners are being destroyed in our limited fishery!! ya!!!:rolleye2:

Kevwood
02-23-2012, 12:46 AM
Killed? Destroyed?
Nice catch!!!! Thanks for posting the pics and enjoy the numerous meals they will provide for yourself and family....I hope I can get on some pike like that this year...way easier to clean and de-bone. Thanks for sharing!

Jack&7
02-23-2012, 01:49 AM
Well...here we go. I am sure the debate will start and some unfortunate things will be said.

While I personally don't agree with keeping fish that large, the OP is fully within his rights to do so. The regulation is the problem we (those that agree) should be focused on. If you don't like it, do something about it. Hence, why I support slot limits.

That being said, it appears the OP was put in a position I have been fortunate enough to avoid: a big hen with a swallowed hook. Will it survive? Don't know...

So I will say this:

If you kept them because they were all deep-hooked, I can understand...but I would look at my method to prevent it happening in the future.

If you kept them for no other reason besides the fact that you could...that is another story.

Just my two cents.

New Hunter Okotoks
02-23-2012, 01:52 AM
Nice Fish Full Throttle. Looks like everyone had a great day;except your jealous neighbours on the lake!

I kept a big one like that from Badger last year because the fins and eyes were frozen solid. It tasted every bit as good as the smaller ones and was much easier to clean. When you figure out the cost of fish,a 20lb. Pike has at least $40 worth of meat on it.

Thanks for sharing your pics with us.

SNAPFisher
02-23-2012, 05:51 AM
Ya, we should all be happy that the big spawners are being destroyed in our limited fishery!! ya!!!:rolleye2:

Yep, it never ends. No one can keep their yaps shut on this. It is inevitable. Let me get your soap box ready so you can stand on it and provide us all with your wisdom. We are but your stupid flock ready to soak up your very words. i.e. "Give it a rest please".

Alberta Bigbore
02-23-2012, 06:07 AM
Congrats on some nice fish! hope they tasted as good as they look!

catnthehat
02-23-2012, 06:38 AM
Crap, the only people that can tell you why they kept them are the people in the pics - it DOES NOT matter what type of hook, what system , whatever - fish are going to get hooked deep at times, and need to be killed.
others will be taken to eat - PERIOD!!
get off your "Too bad you had to kill them" horses people, I like to eat pike, do I keep all of them I catch - no.

But if I deiced tom keep one, it's none of anybody else's business.
Every instance is different, and it's up to the person to decide what they are going to do with it.

Crap, maybe some of you guys that are spouting of should quit killing the big deer you brag about to "save the herd"!:sign0176:

Cat

buckbrushoutdoors
02-23-2012, 07:02 AM
Nothing wrong with keeping those fish. Look at tobin lake there tons of giants like that and lots of people keep them. The 10-20lb fish are the prime spawners anything over that has done its job in the life cycle and can be removed. It's the middle size of fish we need to protect.

Congrats on some hogs!

winger7mm
02-23-2012, 08:07 AM
The only thing those pike have over the smaller "breeding stock" is age. Pike get big over time, with plenty off food they can grow to be monsters no matter if there mom was a first year mother or a 7th year mom. Look at it this way with a couple larger fish out of the water, gives way to the few generations below those fish to grow large, big fish dont grow big by eating 100's of 1" minnows in a day, burns to much energy, they skulk around looking for a decent meal. All you guys that are all "oh no you kept em and are going to eat them, maybe get one mounted, thats horrible, you should have released them back so that in a few days they are dead and getting eaten by suckers and water bugs" whats wrong with just congratulating the guy and his buddy and I beleive to be wife or g/f????

canadiantdi
02-23-2012, 08:34 AM
Yep, it never ends. No one can keep their yaps shut on this. It is inevitable. Let me get your soap box ready so you can stand on it and provide us all with your wisdom. We are but your stupid flock ready to soak up your very words. i.e. "Give it a rest please".

ooohhh, getting a little hurt cause someone doesn't agree with you on an anonymous forum?? muffin.. I'll say what I want. Don't like? Don't read. bye!

canadiantdi
02-23-2012, 08:36 AM
Well...here we go. I am sure the debate will start and some unfortunate things will be said.

While I personally don't agree with keeping fish that large, the OP is fully within his rights to do so. The regulation is the problem we (those that agree) should be focused on. If you don't like it, do something about it. Hence, why I support slot limits.

That being said, it appears the OP was put in a position I have been fortunate enough to avoid: a big hen with a swallowed hook. Will it survive? Don't know...

So I will say this:

If you kept them because they were all deep-hooked, I can understand...but I would look at my method to prevent it happening in the future.

If you kept them for no other reason besides the fact that you could...that is another story.

Just my two cents.

I agree with all this.

Scotty P.
02-23-2012, 08:51 AM
Great catch Full Throttle! Never mind eating them at least one of those would be going on the wall if it was up to me. Too Bad the peanut gallery had to chime in cryin'. Funny how the guys who can't catch fish always blame other Anglers, fisheries etc. for there lack of skill. Oh well, the worlds full of them unfortunately. Thanks for Posting and once again congrats!

fishinggeek
02-23-2012, 09:32 AM
Nothing wrong with keeping those fish. Look at tobin lake there tons of giants like that and lots of people keep them. The 10-20lb fish are the prime spawners anything over that has done its job in the life cycle and can be removed. It's the middle size of fish we need to protect.

Congrats on some hogs!

Tobin Lake - 5D - angling limits are 3 walleye/sauger in combination, none may be between 55-86 cm; 4 pike, none may be between 75-115 cm. Use of barbless hooks is mandatory.

This is why Tobin produces 20 fish days, with averages in the 38inch range. Ill put up a new thread monday or tuseday with our results from this coming wend.
And yes, let the big girls go. :sHa_shakeshout:
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=119387
you will not see any negative comments in threads like these ones. FYI.

catnthehat
02-23-2012, 09:39 AM
Tobin Lake - 5D - angling limits are 3 walleye/sauger in combination, none may be between 55-86 cm; 4 pike, none may be between 75-115 cm. Use of barbless hooks is mandatory.

This is why Tobin produces 20 fish days, with averages in the 38inch range. Ill put up a new thread monday or tuseday with our results from this coming wend.
And yes, let the big girls go. :sHa_shakeshout:
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=119387
you will not see any negative comments in threads like these ones. FYI.

You can find epople who will post negative comments anywhere, form ice fishing to using too light a rig, to C&R!
There are actually those people against catch and release.
barbles/barbed, bait, the list is infinate.
cat

packhuntr
02-23-2012, 10:12 AM
Big predators are not needed for spawning, they are needed to regulate the fishery. Kill the big sows, you cause irreprable damage. Stunt it out, flood the system with small predators, call it what ever you want, but our actions on these inland closed systems are the only reason our fisheries look like they do today. The regs need to be changed, the days of killing large predatory fish should be long gone. This stuff has been known for years. Congratulations on your catch boys. Change your tactics to avoid deep hooking these gem's. If freezers need to be filled, chase the more numerous prey species, or help our stunted out pike fisheries by killing and eating the small just legal pike. Removal of even one big predator has severe repricussions.

hunter49
02-23-2012, 10:14 AM

Congrats on some hogs!

Wtf are you talking about? Those fish are illegal to keep from Tobin. At Tobin you are allowed to keep 4 total... small ones for eating (under 29.5") and big ones for mounting purposes (over 45.3")

full_throttle
02-23-2012, 10:23 AM
Yup, we figured this would be the outcome of the thread. BTW we will be mounting the two of them. And thanks to all the sincere thank you's.

canadiantdi
02-23-2012, 10:25 AM
Yup, we figured this would be the outcome of the thread. BTW we will be mounting the two of them. And thanks to all the sincere thank you's.

Cool, then you can show your grandkids what the fish in Alberta used to look like! lol

full_throttle
02-23-2012, 10:26 AM
Big predators are not needed for spawning, they are needed to regulate the fishery. Kill the big sows, you cause irreprable damage. Stunt it out, flood the system with small predators, call it what ever you want, but our actions on these inland closed systems are the only reason our fisheries look like they do today. The regs need to be changed, the days of killing large predatory fish should be long gone. This stuff has been known for years. Congratulations on your catch boys. Change your tactics to avoid deep hooking these gem's. If freezers need to be filled, chase the more numerous prey species, or help our stunted out pike fisheries by killing and eating the small just legal pike. Removal of even one big predator has severe repricussions.

Our tactics are the reason that we were catching and the guys beside us where pulling up their herring.

Scotty P.
02-23-2012, 10:31 AM
Sorry your thread went the way it did Full Throttle. At least you were prepared for the jelous folks. For what it's worth, thank you for having the stones to Post those pics!

canadiantdi
02-23-2012, 10:33 AM
Sorry your thread went the way it did Full Throttle. At least you were prepared for the jelous folks. For what it's worth, thank you for having the stones to Post those pics!

The point of the guys saying release is going over your head.

WillyOneStyle
02-23-2012, 10:34 AM
Great looking catch, Full Throttle. Keep posting pics. I'd be interested to see what the taxi can do with those monsters, I've seen some pretty cool mounts lately.

Scotty P.
02-23-2012, 10:39 AM
The point of the guys saying release is going over your head.

Lol and I'm looking for an argument? Please stick to sending me more pms instead of further ruining this thread. Or maybe Start a thread to discuss your concerns. Thanks.

buckbrushoutdoors
02-23-2012, 10:44 AM
Wtf are you talking about? Those fish are illegal to keep from Tobin. At Tobin you are allowed to keep 4 total... small ones for eating (under 29.5") and big ones for mounting purposes (over 45.3")

Re-read my post mr angry it's a slot limit you cannot keep between a certain size. Over that certain size you can keep. They protect the middle class fish because they are they main spawners

diamonddave
02-23-2012, 10:47 AM
??? Do guys seriously use the PM system to tell you they don't agree with your posts?? :snapoutofit:
Those are some hogs, thanks for posting the Pics!!

winger7mm
02-23-2012, 10:49 AM
Lol and I'm looking for an argument? Please stick to sending me more pms instead of further ruining this thread. Or maybe Start a thread to discuss your concerns. Thanks.

hahaha :fighting0030:

Scotty P.
02-23-2012, 10:51 AM
??? Do guys seriously use the PM system to tell you they don't agree with your posts?? :snapoutofit:
Those are some hogs, thanks for posting the Pics!!

Yup, I got two today compleate with Name calling lol!

canadiantdi
02-23-2012, 11:00 AM

I just pm'd you to find out if you were seriously thinking that everybody who has concerns for our fisheries is jealous of big fish caught by others, or if you were just being a ********. Was trying to keep the thread from deteriorating. Oh well.

hunter49
02-23-2012, 11:02 AM
Re-read my post mr angry it's a slot limit you cannot keep between a certain size. Over that certain size you can keep. They protect the middle class fish because they are they main spawners

I re-read it and it still does not make any sense. The slot size at Tobin does not allow you to keep any under 115cm (45.3") the biggest they got was a 109cm. That means they could not keep any of those fish. Your example is an odd one. I don't know if you have ever actually fished Tobin, but not many big ones get kept out there (other than the odd monster pike for mounting purposes)

buckbrushoutdoors
02-23-2012, 11:13 AM
I re-read it and it still does not make any sense. The slot size at Tobin does not allow you to keep any under 115cm (45.3") the biggest they got was a 109cm. That means they could not keep any of those fish. Your example is an odd one. I don't know if you have ever actually fished Tobin, but not many big ones get kept out there (other than the odd monster pike for mounting purposes)

I wasn't referring to the lengths of fish they caught. Yes if that was tobin the would have to let them go. And yes I've fished tobin in the summer and winter. Our biggest fish was 47" and 30lbs and we let her go to swim another day.

pikeslayer22
02-23-2012, 08:00 PM
If im correct on the looks of the shore line my son caught a 27 up there this summer that is on the wall...guess im as much too blame as you for killing our fisheries!!

SNAPFisher
02-23-2012, 08:05 PM
ooohhh, getting a little hurt cause someone doesn't agree with you on an anonymous forum?? muffin.. I'll say what I want. Don't like? Don't read. bye!

No muffin cakes, we have just had enough from the likes of people like you. Been said 1,000,000 times before. Its old now. Go yell at your kids or whatever a person like you does for kicks.

SNAPFisher
02-23-2012, 08:08 PM

Amen!

canadiantdi
02-23-2012, 09:05 PM
No muffin cakes, we have just had enough from the likes of people like you. Been said 1,000,000 times before. Its old now. Go yell at your kids or whatever a person like you does for kicks.

lol, keep killin em! Who cares right? There's a reason it's been said a million times.. can you figure it out?? I'm guessing no. hahahahahahah

I like to see big fish put back = I like to yell at my kids lol!!! you're funny, but you lack logic. And tact:rolleye2:

MoFugger21
02-23-2012, 09:18 PM
lol, keep killin em! Who cares right? There's a reason it's been said a million times.. can you figure it out?? I'm guessing no. hahahahahahah

I like to see big fish put back = I like to yell at my kids lol!!! you're funny, but you lack logic. And tact:rolleye2:

If it's within the regulations to allow a person to keep a fish- big or small, it becomes a personal choice on whether or not to put it back or keep it. This was not your choice in this instant, so why keep spouting off on what you would do? This person was within their right to harvest those fish and there's nothing that can be done about it now, soooo....... Let it go, and move on maybe?

canadiantdi
02-23-2012, 09:29 PM
I never once said he wasn't allowed. What's wrong with a discussion? Only ok if everyone agrees with you?

Scotty P.
02-23-2012, 09:43 PM
Amen!

Lol

GullLaker
02-23-2012, 09:56 PM
Nice catch Full Throttle!! All I can say, I am Jealous!!! Thanks for sharing the pics and the story!

MoFugger21
02-23-2012, 10:03 PM
I never once said he wasn't allowed. What's wrong with a discussion? Only ok if everyone agrees with you?

I hardly consider your backhanded comments a 'discussion', but call it what you want to I guess.

You're clearly, or at least sound like a pro c&r only fisherman, which is perfectly fine, that is your choice. But to condemn another a fisherman for a making a choice fully within their rights seems ridiculous to me. To each their own i suppose.

canadiantdi
02-23-2012, 10:14 PM
I hardly consider your backhanded comments a 'discussion', but call it what you want to I guess.

You're clearly, or at least sound like a pro c&r only fisherman, which is perfectly fine, that is your choice. But to condemn another a fisherman for a making a choice fully within their rights seems ridiculous to me. To each their own i suppose.

Yes, I suppose I was being childish in some of my posts. Still fun though!

Burbot hunter
02-24-2012, 06:11 AM
Awesome fish!!! You have every right to keep those fish! You earned it!

full_throttle
02-24-2012, 06:30 AM
Thanks burbot

Crusty
02-24-2012, 07:13 AM
They are legal. Get your heads out of it!

Scotty P.
02-24-2012, 10:25 AM

Who is doing the mounts for you? That is only if you want to say of course. Thanks.

Gators
02-24-2012, 10:40 AM
If you are not concerned about the effect of keeping those 3 big spawners why don't you post which lake you caught them out of.

canadiantdi
02-24-2012, 12:04 PM
If you are not concerned about the effect of keeping those 3 big spawners why don't you post which lake you caught them out of.

lol don't hold your breath

Woolly Bugger
02-24-2012, 07:12 PM

I wholly agree. A well respected provincial biologist told me that most Northern's in our waters that attain 40" are over 20 years old.

billycap
02-25-2012, 11:23 AM
Good job man! Hope they taste as good as they look

Dont let the haters harsh words bring ya down!

LingDinger
02-25-2012, 02:19 PM
Funny, this discussion came up between my fishing partner and I last winter when he caught a big hen weighing 25lbs. As soon as we brought her out eggs started coming out of her. In the excitement of catching the biggest pike both of us had ever been involved in my partner started saying "I'm taking this one home!!....I'm taking this one home!!" I asked why and he said because he wanted to get it mounted. Well to make a long story short I told him he didnt need to take it home just to get a mount all a taxidermist needs is a couple pics and all the measurements and you can get an exact replica made....and the fish got to go back in the water to maybe give us another THRILL another day!! We caught her on a quick strike but try not to let them run very far before setting the hook to try an avoid the hooks getting way down in the throat, this makes for more sucessful catch & releasing.

canadiantdi
02-25-2012, 02:40 PM
Funny, this discussion came up between my fishing partner and I last winter when he caught a big hen weighing 25lbs. As soon as we brought her out eggs started coming out of her. In the excitement of catching the biggest pike both of us had ever been involved in my partner started saying "I'm taking this one home!!....I'm taking this one home!!" I asked why and he said because he wanted to get it mounted. Well to make a long story short I told him he didnt need to take it home just to get a mount all a taxidermist needs is a couple pics and all the measurements and you can get an exact replica made....and the fish got to go back in the water to maybe give us another THRILL another day!! We caught her on a quick strike but try not to let them run very far before setting the hook to try an avoid the hooks getting way down in the throat, this makes for more sucessful catch & releasing.

It doesn't matter how much sense you make, people will still keep them until there's none left.

BTW, you probably didn't realize, but you are a jealous hater.

BigBuck$
02-25-2012, 03:51 PM
I'm not mad that you kept the fish, I'm right ticked that I can't find lake Triple X on the map though!!! :argue2:

Nice fish & congrats to you all!!!

dodger
02-25-2012, 05:40 PM
From one Piker to another - nice fish.
Dodger.

flyguyd
02-25-2012, 07:36 PM
Nice catch . Those big ones look good up on the wall and contrary to popular vote taste just as good as the small ones