PDA

View Full Version : Chip Lake, sure lots of vehicles

Drewski Canuck
02-21-2012, 11:50 AM
Drove by Chip yesterday Afternoon. Could see quite a few vehicles on the north shore. Are the Ling going strong?

Drewski

Klondike
02-21-2012, 08:49 PM
nope, not according to the guy I talked to out there yesterday. The jack are biting ok though.

Thundercatcher
02-21-2012, 09:04 PM
I want to try chip some time soon. Is there a parking lot area there?

Kevin_Thunder
02-21-2012, 09:48 PM
I want to try chip some time soon. Is there a parking lot area there?

The lake is pretty shallow, you might find yourself walking a lot before you find a spot where the water hasn't frozen right into the ground. You could try getting on from Chip Lake Campgrounds on the north side of the lake, I don't know any fishing spots on that side of the lake though. I've only ever tried fishing the west side by the river mouth.

I get on the west side by going north on RR110, then turning off onto the river just before the first bridge. Driving on a river sounds dumb, but its safe. I wouldn't recommend anything less than a 4x4 to get on/off the river... it can be a bit hairy. I'm sure there are other ways of getting onto that side of the lake though, I saw a couple of mini vans on the ice this Sunday. The lake is so shallow and the ice so thick, I'm sure driving the outskirts of it is safe, but don't take my word for it. I was fishing in a spot that had more ice than water (2.5 feet of ice, 1.5 fow)... but the pike were biting like crazy. No burbots yet, and from what I saw, no one else was catching them either. It looked like the parking lot from the mall out there.

Throw a couple of lines down with minnows/smelts and you're bound to catch something. Good luck out there!

Thundercatcher
02-21-2012, 09:54 PM
cool! Thanks. yeah i was looking for a lake not too far from here that I could keep a pike or two. And noticed this lake had no size limit.

Kevin_Thunder
02-21-2012, 10:00 PM
The pike in Chip aren't that big. You'll get a bigger one every now and then, but most are small-ish. The water doesn't look the greatest neither, kind of brown/tea-coloured. I have no idea how the pike are like out of that lake. A friend was fishing the lake this summer and said the water conditions didn't look very appealing, a lot of oil/gas and garbage floating around... sucks to see people treat lakes/rivers like that. My buddy's dad said that back in the day, in the right conditions, you could just about shovel pike out of there with a shovel in waist high water.

Thundercatcher
02-21-2012, 10:39 PM
oops, sorry for highjacking this thread. Maybe I should try Wizard

valve god
02-22-2012, 07:03 AM
The wife and I have been out there 4 weekends in a row. The ice is quite thick. There has only been a couple of burbs pulled out. There has been some big pike pulled out but has seemed to slow down. 3 weekends ago we were hammered by 8+ pounders steady. Last weekend (Family Day) we had some serious breakoffs. I heard there is going to be some changes to the limits of pike and burbs next season. I sounds like pike may have to be a certain size and burbs may be a seasonal closure. When I was talking with F&W there may be more lakes that the limit will changes for burbs. Last springs flood change the mouth of the Lobstick river where it flows in to the lake. It silted in bad along with a lot of trees laying in the mouth. One Family Day at one time we counted 100 vehicles have some pics I will post first chance I get.